Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson leather - Chopper jacket

Incandenza

Familiar Face
Hi there, was just wondering if anyone on here owns a Vanson Chopper jacket.. have been thinking about maybe ordering one, was hoping to get some thoughts about it - ie. the quality of the leather, fit, how it was dealing with Vanson, wait times, etc.. this is the jacket I have in-mind:

http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-Chopper-640.aspx

The alternative is waiting a while and holding out for a Langlitz one of these days when I can afford it, but the cost seems to be almost double the price of the Vanson (for the options I want). I really admire the Langlitz ethos of small family craftsmanship, customer service, standing behind their products, jacket to last a lifetime, etc.. but the cost does seem high, at least more than I've ever paid for a jacket before. I've done a lot of research about them, but never actually seen one of their jackets in person.. are the Langlitz's really THAT good, overall?

Any thoughts/input are much appreciated! Thanks

Incandenza

Familiar Face
I'm a 40.

Yes was thinking of a variation on the padded pocket Columbia.. ie. with a couple fewer pockets and a cossack collar, maybe a western yoke on the back/shoulders.

les_garten

One of the Regulars
I've never had that Vanson in my hands, but from the pix alone on the Vanson site, as small as they are, I can tell you the Leather ain't a gnat on a LangLitz's azz.

I have the Jacket you are looking at. I cannot imagine how the Jacket could be better. I don't know what you could do. I am getting ready to buy another one. Am thinking of selling the one I have, here's why.

As I get older and deal with bad shoulders, aches, pains, etc, the allure of uber heavy Jackets has lost it's appeal. I'm looking for some body, but want some suppleness and comfort as well.

I had a Lost Worlds J24 Custom that was never going to be anything but a miserable fight to wear. I'll link to it and my Langlitz below.

My Langlitz is the mdeium Cow. It is very heavy but I can work with it. It is not the fight to wear that the Lost Worlds was, yet it is still VERY HEAVY weight cow. The Langlitz HEAVY cow, well Langlitz will really go all out to try and talk you out of buying it. They have to determine that you are a TOTAL JACKET Nut to sell it to you, and that you wear a Hairsuit for the fun of it!

I've handled a few other Vanson's, they are good Jackets. I think you would not do bad with that Vanson, but I can tell from the PIX alone that the Leather is not like my LL in quality. Open those pix in a browser tab and blow them up and then look at my Jacket below.

My advice, figure out if you really are buying a Jacket for a long run. If you think you'll be changing out, get the Vanson maybe. If it's for sure a keeper, get the Langlitz, you're done with it.

One more thing to consider. I Paid $900 for my LL used on Ebay 6 years or so ago. It's worth $1000-$1100 used now. I've had it for free if I want to sell it.

If I were you, I'd get about $1000 set aside. And start watching Ebay everyday. You'll get one for that or less eventually. May take a while. Make a list of the questions to ask the seller about smoking, condition, repairs, etc. Or save up for a new one.

The one I am looking at getting is a Goatskin Padded Pocket, straight zip, cossack collar, some other options. It won't get that Patina you see in HH or Goat, but it won't hurt my shoulder and should be a little lighter. Probably will keep my Cow LL as well. It's just a great Jacket.

Hope these links help with some ideas.

Here's my Lost Worlds Buco J24 Custom:
Custom_J24

Here's the Langlitz Padded Pocket Columbia off the Rack Sz 50
Langlitz Padded Pocket Columbia

Click on the Pix to open and click again in your browser to see the full size

Last edited:

les_garten

One of the Regulars
I just noticed your post where you mention the non standard mods you would make. You won't find those used, so you would have to do new there.

Would be nice of there were someone in Toronto that had one for you to see. There is no part of a LL that you will look at and think, "well they could have done that better". At least not to me.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I had a Vanson Enfield from eBay that I think was sorta "not brand new" and the "Competition Cowhide" was certainly thick and heavy. That said, I'll bet for two G's (which is what I think they cost) the Langlitz is a hell of a lot more jacket. Go for it. You only live once.

Last edited:

SoCalSoftailSlim

One of the Regulars
I don't have any experience with the big L. But I have two Vansons. A Clubman waxed cotton which is a fine looking and utilitarian jacket. And a Continental Comet, which is an uber cool jacket that is real hard to find. I bought an XL off Ebay, knowing I'd have to get it tailored, which is where it's at now.

If you ride a motorcycle, hard to beat a Vanson. Well placed pockets, thick competition leather. And a refined look that cuts through the wind.

4004_lg_zps11b2864f.jpg

IMG_0035_zps7edd891c.jpg

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
OK, I'll throw my $.02 in too.
I've had a few Vansons in their competition weight leather (currently an Enfield)
I can't imagine any other leather being as thick and tough as this stuff.
It's the only leather I want on my body in case I go sliding along the tarmac after a quick get off.
Now, I'm sure Langlitz's are nice, but I can't imagine their leather being any better than Vanson's.
Lenny

Incandenza

Familiar Face
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts so far, and les_garten for those picture links - very helpful.

As of the moment I think I'm leaning towards the Langlitz, but probably not until later this year if things go according to plan. I've heard and read great things about the Vanson leather itself, except that in recent years I've also heard reports of very bad customer service (ie. not valuing their customers, long waits with no notice), combined with the fact that some of their production has moved down to El Salvador... seems like you never know what you might get from them, some have had great experiences, others horrible ones.. whereas with Langlitz so far it's been aces across the board.

Guess I'll just have to save up and consider it a lifelong purchase.....

les_garten

One of the Regulars
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts so far, and les_garten for those picture links - very helpful.

As of the moment I think I'm leaning towards the Langlitz, but probably not until later this year if things go according to plan. I've heard and read great things about the Vanson leather itself, except that in recent years I've also heard reports of very bad customer service (ie. not valuing their customers, long waits with no notice), combined with the fact that some of their production has moved down to El Salvador... seems like you never know what you might get from them, some have had great experiences, others horrible ones.. whereas with Langlitz so far it's been aces across the board.

Guess I'll just have to save up and consider it a lifelong purchase.....

Good Luck!

I have about 50 Jackets. I'm seeing a doctor for this problem, no worries there!

The two Jacket companies I linked to are American Companies that are both Fanatics about their product. They're products are painstaking hand made in the USA by companies that will not accept anything other than perfect.

There is no chance that the Langlitz won't work for you. THEY TAKE THEM BACK IF THEY DON'T. Tell me who does that. Nobody does.

There is a LL thread here where the guy ordered a Goat LL and hated it. He just did not like the Goat, and hated the Jacket style. He had no experience with Goat. He was talked into buying it here on the forum basically. All the warning signs were in the thread that he wouldn't like it if you use some 20/20 hindsight. Long story short, he cried and moaned a little and someone pointed out their 100% satisfaction promise and they just took it back and gave him his money back. They also are friendly, enthusiastic, and EASY to work with.

Lost Worlds is enthusiastic about Jackets, kinda. They are also enthusiastic about being obnoxious. They are not easy to work with, and will refuse to build you a jacket if you ask too many questions. Stuart is the Soup-Nazi of Jacket makers. He really is. You ask questions! You are on Jacket Forum! NO JACKET FOR YOU!

You should look at his jackets carefully and make sure you don't want one. You are taking a chance with him though. If you find a fault with his jacket, he will fight you about it, even if it is obvious. I have first hand experience in this. But if you want an oppressively heavy, stiff leather that will look new pretty much forever, he's got them. You can read my review of that J24 and some other Lost Worlds jackets in the Lost Worlds thread. I actually like his stuff. Some of it is not suitable for me though. Even the stuff that is not suitable for me, I still like it. It's hard to explain...

To the Vanson guys, I've had one a while back. They make very nice Jackets at their price point. Maybe the best at their price point. At that price point, I'd still rather get a used LL though, which is what I did. Vanson money + a few hundred can get a really nice LL used. Not trashing Vanson at all. They are really nice Jackets. You can also get them with armor, but that isn't what the Poster here is looking for.

A Jeep Cherokee is really nice if you're shopping for a Jeep. But it is not a Land Cruiser or Range Rover. That's my Vanson analogy.

One more thing about Langlitz I'll say. I bought my LL used. I've talked to them numerous times on the phone about it and other jackets. They've sent me samples and catalogs. I told them I bought the jacket used. They have been so nice and easy to work with. That I want to buy a new one from them to support their business. How often do you feel that way about a company nowadays?

If I called Vanson, and got some of that bad service, I'm not sure I would want to support their El Salvidor grounded operation.

Last edited:

TLS

New in Town
Some great advice given here. I, too, searched for the best jacket that would last me a lifetime. I thought the hype concerning Langlitz was overrated. After tons of research, multiple calls to the staff, and a lot of thought, I chose Langlitz. My advice to you would be to call them up, discuss what you want, and your vision for your jacket. They will make anything you want. As les said, THEY WILL TAKE IT BACK. No one else does that. If you choose to order in a busy time, you can make payments until your jacket is paid for/built. Read some of the testimonials on their site. Mine is on there. I wear that jacket with pride and am blown away every time I take it out of the closet. Sure $1000+ is a lot of money, but Langlitz will repair, alter, and clean your jacket for your lifetime, for a small fee. Just my $.02.

53Effie

A-List Customer
When I bought my Langlitz Cascade there were some fit issues on the initial jacket. It required making a complete new jacket to get it right and they did it without complaint. It was sort of my fault because I misunderstood how to take one of the measurements that was needed. I had the second jacket back within two weeks, and it is just right. I was impressed by how cooperative they were.

IXL

One Too Many
I have purchased several Vanson jackets through Insurrection Leather. I prefer to do this as Insurrection can run interference with the factory so I don't have to deal with them. Vanson no longer produces anything in El Salvador and all of my purchases from Insurrection have been U.S.A.-made new stock.
The jackets are great! I do want a Langlitz, though, and will get one as soon as I figure out just what I want.
good luck.

garzo

One of the Regulars
Vanson no longer produces in El Salvador? Didn't they just recently move most of their manufacturing there? Have they officially closed that factory and moved everything back to Boston?

IXL

One Too Many
^^^Within the last year.
A friend of mine was in MA about six months ago and stopped by Vanson. They were sewing, cutting, patterning, making jackets, filling orders and everything. Just like a real company.
All of the Vanson jackets I've purchased within the last 8-9 months have been MADE in the USA. That doesn't mean that there isn't a whole bunch of Salvadoran-made stock floating around now. I do happen to own one of the down-south jackets and it is very well made. The U.S. "don't got no lock" on producing fine garments.
That being said, I examined a few Vanson "branded" jackets that were made in Pakistan and they were so horrible as to be easily spotted while hanging amongst "real" Vanson jackets on a rack.
The thing that really bugs me about Vanson was that when they did go south for the bulk of their manufacturing they tried to hide that fact from the consumer. Their website seemed to go to great lengths to give the impression of domestic manufacture while obscuring the true source of origin. They now seem to have seen the error of there ways. They offer great made-in-USA products for those that would prefer to buy "local."
If one has any interest, just check the tag. They do still procure some of the "lesser" items from abroad but this is now stated on the website in the description of the item.
My take on Vanson is that they are a storied company, whose jackets were coveted by riders/racers in the days of my youth, the 70's. They at some point fell on hard times, filed bankruptcy, blamed everything on "anti-American sentiment" abroad, slapped labels on products made in who-knows-where, tried to hide this fact from the world,found their way again, and are now producing quality products, and in the states.
I, for one, wish them much success.

les_garten

One of the Regulars
@IXL

What you said in the last post is not really the same thing. From that statement you haven't confirmed anything.

From reading some posts, they were making jackets in both places. So seeing them making Jackets in the US doesn't MEAN anything has changed.

So a definitive statement on what is made where is what would be nice to know.

US aren't the be all and end all. Quite the contrary. But I wouldn't put China, El Salvador, or Bangladesh, or a lot of others, in the Premium tier if you get my drift here.

IXL

One Too Many
I see what you mean. It is my understanding that no El Salvadoran connection exists, at present. They ARE making jackets statside again, in quantity, as opoposed to having just a leather repair operation going in MA. while the manufacturing was being done down south.
If I made one piece statside during a time I imported 16,000 pieces, I guess the statement could be made that nothing had changed, as I had "manufactured" stateside. But that would only be engaging in semantics, as the real and actual production was off-shore.
The exceptions to the Vanson "presently made in the U.S." offerings are a few "lesser" garments and the site now lists them as imported.
MUCH has changed for Vanson: U.S. production is now the rule and not the exception. If one receives a garment that was made last month, it will have been crafted in MA.
If one wants a U.S. made Vanson jacket, ask if the shipped item is of new manufacture (actually, just have the label checked) . If it is, it will surely be produced in MA. If it has been hanging on a rack for awhile, it might just be El Salvadoran made. I'm sure they still have some of the E-S product in the MA warehouse, so it would be prudent to inquire.
I am only trying to point out that one can again purchase the Vanson product with confidence it is made in the U.S. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21