Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Mercury or Vanson Enfield?

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
I am on the fence. Not sure which is better for riding my motorcycle and mainly just walking around. The Mercury looks more fitted than the Enfield. I am leaning towards the Mercury because it seems more fitted and "slimming." Also, strange as it sounds, I'm not too big on buckles and straps along the sides of a leather jacket.They just look cumbersome to me. I'd rather have a jacket that naturally fits my fairly narrow waist, without needing to cinch some buckles and straps to do the job.

Anyone own both?, or one of them? I want to get my jacket custom ordered in brown. I was hoping for something in a cognac color. Not sure if Vanson would do that or not. I just love Vanson's horsehide jackets from ten years ago, but, alas, they don't make horsehide jackets any longer.

I really wanted to get an Aero in cognac colored heavy horsehide, but the Aeros all seem so boxy. I have yet to see a nice fitted one. I was leaning towards the HG 5 or the Route 66. Areo has a 1930's Slim Fit jacket, but it looks a little awkward in the back, like the leather bunches up between a tight faux belt and the shoulders. In the small of the back, there seems to be a mass of puckery leather that is, more or less, a design flaw, with too much mass there. Perhaps its just the way the jacket was positioned to take the photograph on Aeros website. The photos there don't seem too well thought-out.

In old posts on the Fedora Lounge, I've seen more than one Aero make a fairly slim man with shoulders look kind of chunky, bulky, and heavy round the waist when he obviously was not overweight, judging by some shots with an open jacket. I am especially careful to avoid Jackets that do not fit to advantage (especially $1,000 ones!), as I need all the help I can get. I'm six feet tall and 210 pounds, needing to loose a few. Does Aero charge extra $$ for custom fitting/making a jacket, more than simply just chest side?

The reason I like the Aeros is the brown horsehide. It almost looks three dimensional, like looking at a milky golden-brown agate with some depth to it. Really outstanding horsehides. It's hard to find a thick horsehide in America these days. Most of the hides come from China and the Chinese are starting to finish their own hides, rather than shipping them to leatherers in the States. Still, I would be hesitant to wear a $1,000 jacket on my motorcycle. If I went down and survived the crash, but tore apart the jacket, I would probably kill myself . . . or not. Either way, it would suck.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
I believe all of Aero's jackets are custom made. My Highwayman isn't boxy; it is tightly fitted. You are right about their brown HH ( and cow, as well), excellent color and hide.

Probably not wise to wear a $1000 jacket on a motorcycle. The Vanson Enfield does just fine, however. If you want one more fitted, order your size. That ought to be tight enough for you! I ordered one size up, as suggested by Vanson, and it is plenty tight for me.

Last edited:

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Saw your jacket, Peacoat. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?17164-New-Highwayman&highlight=highwayman Chrome tanned steerhide, eh? Looks great. Did you request the motorcycle "double back" that allows for range of arm movement without binding the back of the jacket? Very cool. Maybe it was part of the "new" design offered back a few years ago when bought your Aero. I see that the double-back is not currently pictured on Aero's site for the Highwayman. You're right, your jacket seems to have a nice fit, to be sure. Good to hear from you, Peacoat! Looks like you ride a motorcycle or two, as well! Two fingers, brother!

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks. I believe that was called the bi action back, or something similar. Yes, I have "ridden a motorcycle or two" in my day. Only riding one right now as I have gotten older and less agile. And two fingers back atcha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24