Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson PLU-3 (Insurrection) vs Vanson Daytona

Trust But Verify

New in Town
Hello - Do we have any Vanson Daytona owners in the Lounge, or anyone who has see/tried on the Vanson Daytona in competion weight? It looks like a great jacket, but I'm trying to weight it against the Insurrection PLU-3. Any insight would be most appreciated. Cheers.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hey! Welcome to Fedora! So, I'm just going to tell you right up front that I work at Insurrection, so take this as biased ; - ) information!!! ...LOL... But, seriously, the PLU-3 is an absolutely incredible jacket with a great, classic cafe' racer look in Vanson's competition weight leather. The Daytona uses Vanson's waxed finished comp. weight leather, which people have never liked quite as much as the regular comp. weight leather. Insurrection was the first to get this wax-finished leather, yet in the form of the City Jacket. A lot of people liked the City Jacket, but ended up ordering it custom in the regular comp. weight leather. Another problem, that at least I see, with the Daytona jacket is that it doesn't come in chest sizes. We've had problems with fitting some people in Vanson styles that come xs-xxl, as some sizes aren't represented in this sizing distribution. For example, I'm a 44 PLU-3, but can't fit at all in the City Jacket, as the m is too small and the l is way, way too big. My two cents worth...

Trust But Verify

New in Town
Hi - very cool - biased or not, your input is very much appreciated. I can understand what you mean; In a different life I worked with a company specializing in high-end interior design and some amazing custom and non-custom furniture, mostly from Europe. One of the vendors, an Italian company that made these amazing leather pieces, only did so in a waxy-finished, super thick leather that they very much specialized in. The result was super unique, modern, luxurious, and uncompromisingly durable,... but people didn't really like how it felt. So I totally get how a great jacket may have some technical benefits, but not really be the most enjoyable or wearable jacket.

Thanks again for your insight, especially since you have experience with the particular jacket!

mrc

Familiar Face
Trust But Verify,

PLU-3 all the way! Wade and Carrie are in California (that's what Sally said today), but just looked at the extended length Comets today and they're incredibly nice! BTW, what do you think of the black on black arm stripes on the Daytona?

Trust But Verify

New in Town
Hi mrc - Thanks a lot for the info. Yeah, the PLU-3 looks great. Is it basically a custom Comet, or different altogether? I have to say that I do like the subtlety of the black arm stripes on the black Daytona jacket. They look like they're sueded leather maybe? I thought that it might give a unique look but still clean and understated. That's just my thought, though. But with Mojo1975's input, particularly on the leather and sizing, I'm definitely thinking PLU-3. It just looks so classic and solid.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
The Comet is a great jacket in itself but i always thought it was too short. The extended version sounds perfect. I wonder how the Plu-3 compares to Insurrection's new Buco ?

Faster

New in Town
I just looked at Vanson's website for the Daytona jacket. After a ton of looking, I finally found it. I think I should have just used the search function to begin with, which would have been the smart thing. Anyway, I really don't like the stripes down the arms on the Vanson Daytona, so I'd go with the PLU-3. Those black on black stripes remind me of something Wilson's Leather in the mall would do.

mrc

Familiar Face
The Comet is a great jacket in itself but i always thought it was too short. The extended version sounds perfect. I wonder how the Plu-3 compares to Insurrection's new Buco ?

From what I learned yesterday at Insurrection, the PLU-3 is pretty darn sleek, but the Aero-made Buco J-100 will be even sleeker, much like the very sleek original 1960s cafe' racers.

Trust But Verify

New in Town
Thanks, Faster - Yeah, the more that I think about it, the more I agree. The PLU-3 just seems like a classic that I'd never get tired of. Speaking of jackets at the mall, I wonder where I can find one of those eight-ball bombers (circa 1991)? Totally kidding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles