Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vest color help needed.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
jacket1.png

What color vest would go best with this black double breasted jacket? I will prob wear it with the blue shirt shown, or white.

I was thinking a black vest, but was afraid it would be too much black and not contrast enough?

Opinions needed please.

Thanks

dnjan

One Too Many
Will the vest even be seen with the jacket on? Or are you considering a fairly high gorge?

There is a variety of answers to this that depend on conditions.
The event- is it more serious or more festive?
If it is more festive you will probably have a bit more leeway perhaps go with contrasting brighter colors and even with patterns.

I am not sure if you need the vest to be echoed by the bow tie.

The other thing I am not sure about is what type of vest goes with a shawl collar? Vest with out a collar or does it also need to be a shawl or can you go with another type?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
That's a double breasted dinner jacket you have there; not something you'd wear with a vest. What type of event are you attending.

dnjan

One Too Many
Sorry - I was thinking of the measurement I had recently filled out for a waistcoat I am having made. For that measurement, the gorge was referred to as the distance from the neck/shoulder seam to the top button.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
There is a variety of answers to this that depend on conditions.
The event- is it more serious or more festive?
If it is more festive you will probably have a bit more leeway perhaps go with contrasting brighter colors and even with patterns.

I am not sure if you need the vest to be echoed by the bow tie.

The other thing I am not sure about is what type of vest goes with a shawl collar? Vest with out a collar or does it also need to be a shawl or can you go with another type?

What bow tie?

That's a double breasted dinner jacket you have there; not something you'd wear with a vest. What type of event are you attending.

Ugh I was afraid of that. found the jacket in a thrift shop. it fit and was nice so I got it. I am looking for a nice double breasted jacket I can wear anytime. Church, job interview, whatever.

They have another one with normal buttons. I'll see if it fits. I just lov the look of a double breasted jacket.

What bow tie? Ugh I was afraid of that. found the jacket in a thrift shop. it fit and was nice so I got it. I am looking for a nice double breasted jacket I can wear anytime. Church, job interview, whatever. They have another one with normal buttons. I'll see if it fits. I just lov the look of a double breasted jacket.

This is a tuxedo jacket, as Feraud mentions it is also know as dinner jacket, the satin lapels and covered buttons are part of what makes this more of a "formal wear" type jacket.

That's why I asked about the bow tie, the two tend to go hand in hand.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Perhaps a single breasted sportcoat would be a better all-purpose choice?

I just love the look of a double breasted jacket.

I know they make double breasted suit coat to wear for general purpose, ie: Chirch, interview ect.

Am still learning things here, so I make mistakes. Good thing the jacket didn't cost me anything. I'll prob just donate it back.

Last edited:
Am still learning things here, so I make mistakes. Good thing the jacket didn't cost me anything. I'll prob just donate it back.

if you can hold on to it, you can get Tux pants and then you have the start of a great formal outfit. The toughest part is having the gumption to wear it for going out. Girls love a man in a tux and if arrange for dinner out with that special someone and they're dressed up too it makes for a really great evening. A Tux is not just for the Prom.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
if you can hold on to it, you can get Tux pants and then you have the start of a great formal outfit. The toughest part is having the gumption to wear it for going out. Girls love a man in a tux and if arrange for dinner out with that special someone and they're dressed up too it makes for a really great evening. A Tux is not just for the Prom.

Wish I had read this sooner.

I just took the jacket back and traded it for this.

coat.png

That is a fine looking DB jacket. As a sport jacket it will be a great one to use. I like the idea of pairing this type of jacket with a nice tie, light ivory colored pants and maybe some saddle shoes for a snazzy sporty look.

How about khakis?

In my opinion, that will work with the right color pants. The color may be a little tricky with the blue shirt, that sort of locks in the color scheme a bit. I'd have to see it together to get an idea.

With a white dress shirt you actually get a bit more leeway and you can use a tie as an accessory to balance and bring together a variety of color pants. i have a hard time explaining it but there are times when going with a single color scheme goes well (Jacket / shirt / pants) but it is tough sometime to get the right color blue for the pants. A white shirt can allow for contrast dark to light and different colors to be used with the blue jacket.

The best thing is to put on a couple of variations and look in the mirror. You can also post pix here to get input from the guys. If you are just getting started and you are looking just to dress it up a bit that is one level of learning and then you get to develop your own sense of style. What you will find is there are rules, and then there are rules and then there are rules you get to bend or break. Sometimes you will come up with something that works in spite of the rules.

Have fun.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
In my opinion, that will work with the right color pants. The color may be a little tricky with the blue shirt, that sort of locks in the color scheme a bit. I'd have to see it together to get an idea.

With a white dress shirt you actually get a bit more leeway and you can use a tie as an accessory to balance and bring together a variety of color pants. i have a hard time explaining it but there are times when going with a single color scheme goes well (Jacket / shirt / pants) but it is tough sometime to get the right color blue for the pants. A white shirt can allow for contrast dark to light and different colors to be used with the blue jacket.

The best thing is to put on a couple of variations and look in the mirror. You can also post pix here to get input from the guys. If you are just getting started and you are looking just to dress it up a bit that is one level of learning and then you get to develop your own sense of style. What you will find is there are rules, and then there are rules and then there are rules you get to bend or break. Sometimes you will come up with something that works in spite of the rules.

Have fun.

Thanks. The blue shirt was just the shirt I grabbed to hang the jacket. I have a white shirt as well. I will try it.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer

Have fun.

Thanks. The blue shirt was just the shirt I grabbed to hang the jacket. I have a white shirt as well. I will try it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket. A white shirt would go nice with it, I think. I see nothing wrong with khaki-coloured trousers. Personally I stay away from blue double-breasted coats though. They remind me too much of navy uniforms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner