Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Buco J-24 Pricing

Someone made a best offer for $800. You can see actual selling prices on watchcount.com

Anyway, I like the idea of owning originals, most of my collection is vintage. Although, I understand the well intentioned comments about buying a modern version
So long as you understand when you pay a premium for originals you aren't paying for *actual* quality...these Buco jackets in particular...they simply aren't made very well and not of a hide that's anything but quite ordinary. I had a 50's Cal star glove that it would literally take 5 Buco's to weigh in evenly. Stitched better, better hide, better zips. Buco is just a glorified Brooks with a better pattern. I've never seen a single one worth more than $300. But. Run Tanaka so...
I get the whole mystique thing and all but I'm not sure how it landed on such a relatively ho hum jacket. A great pattern is the beginning and end of Buco...and only the cross zips. The CR is nothing better than any Brooks, Kehoe or Reed. All built in Michigan and essentially under the same roof!

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
So long as you understand when you pay a premium for originals you aren't paying for *actual* quality...these Buco jackets in particular...they simply aren't made very well and not of a hide that's anything but quite ordinary. I had a 50's Cal star glove that it would literally take 5 Buco's to weigh in evenly. Stitched better, better hide, better zips. Buco is just a glorified Brooks with a better pattern. I've never seen a single one worth more than $300. But. Run Tanaka so...
I get the whole mystique thing and all but I'm not sure how it landed on such a relatively ho hum jacket. A great pattern is the beginning and end of Buco...and only the cross zips. The CR is nothing better than any Brooks, Kehoe or Reed. All built in Michigan and essentially under the same roof!

Yup, I agree.

I wouldn't sell the j24 pattern short though. It's an amazing pattern but the repro jackets by RMC (and others) in my eyes is where the label comes alive, not through these original old jackets.

Yup, I agree.

I wouldn't sell the j24 pattern short though. It's an amazing pattern but the repro jackets by RMC (and others) in my eyes is where the label comes alive, not through these original old jackets.
Oh totally. The pattern is the success. The vintage piece is not. But it appears you can't put a price on mystique. But it seems to me that mystique is assigned, over rated and a bit laughable in light of the quality repros that have far exceeded the originals in ever way possible.

Rereading my posts it sounds like a condemnation of collecting vintage originals. It's not but I do think in some ways it's become a bit ridiculous given the inherent nature and quality of the pieces. I suppose there is no arguing with an original. It is what it is but I can't help but feel it's often cooked up over hyped etc.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Rereading my posts it sounds like a condemnation of collecting vintage originals. It's not but I do think in some ways it's become a bit ridiculous given the inherent nature and quality of the pieces. I suppose there is no arguing with an original. It is what it is but I can't help but feel it's often cooked up over hyped etc.
It seems like a lot of people can't help falling in love with the unique look of a worn in/worn out leather. That's really the one thing that can't be faked. If you prorate the cost of 60+ years of wear, they're actually quite inexpensive [emoji14]

If you prorate the cost of 60+ years of wear, they're actually quite inexpensive
emoji14.png
Hold on now Guppy...you been talking to Stuart?;)
horse.gif

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I have to agree with all the un-biased, completely factual information on this thread so far. :)

It's how we all roll around here. Ok, so back to reality, in my very limited experience with vintage jackets, it does seem that given the interest in such things today, that prices have risen to unbelievably high levels, especially given the quality and wear ability of these things. I have a few "vintage" jackets now, none however are older than 1980 so probably not true vintage yet. I don't want to own something I can't wear, or have to leave hung up away all the time. All the same I have too many now and need to make some "hard decisions" myself. :eek:

CRAZYBUBBA

Familiar Face
Much of this comes from spending my High School years with a Japanese picker in a raghouse (You may have guessed as much). I've owned Langlitz, vanson, posted about my 50s californian a week ago, but sadly am outgrowing my collection due to size :p I don't quite understand the market for the newer editions of these jackets, and by comparison vintage seems like a bargain, but a big part of it is collecting vs daily wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner