Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VINTAGE CAPS PHOTO GALLERY

La Strada

New in Town
Very nice! Would love to come across one of these in a 7 1/4- 3/8
checkered30scap.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jonbuilder said:
.... is there a noticeable difference between vintage pre 1930 caps and modern well-made caps?

I don't think there is a difference in quality. Like now, the caps back then ranged from very well made to pretty crappy. It depended on what the customer was willing to pay.

However ... it seems that practically all caps back then, well made or not, had a nice cut and silhouette to them that today's caps lack.

LordBest

Practically Family
Drat. I did wonder. Luckily I like the cloth and didn't pay a 30s price for it. Should I delete the pictures from this thread given that its relatively modern?

Dinerman said:
'60s or later on the Dobbs, I believe.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Dinerman said:
'60s or later on the Dobbs, I believe.

I agree.

One sure indication is the size of the crown button. It's notably bigger than the very small ones found on 1920s-'30s caps. Post '40s caps tend to have larger crown buttons. Even so, LordBest, I think that your Dobbs cap is a very nice one!

LordBest said:
Should I delete the pictures from this thread given that its relatively modern?

No, please keep the photos in here. They give an education in the difference between earlier and later caps.

LordBest

Practically Family
It was the button size which made me wonder about its age, in the end I decided I liked the cap enough to put in a bid regardless of age. I had hoped it might turn out to be 30s (or 40s) but I can't say im too dissapointed. Thank you for the rapid responses, gentlemen.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
leather flat cap

Unfortunately, no pics. But years ago I came across and picked up a leather flat cap. It was likely european, not sure of the age, but very obviously not 70s or modern. it was a heavy leather like an old german overcoat. And quite large compared to modern, and very flat, unlike a puffy 70s one might be. Very cool. Probably not too common.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
So that the pics don't go dead, here's the cap Marc posted the link to
img_6393.jpg

img_6394.jpg

img_6395.jpg

img_6397.jpg

img_6400.jpg

Here's a rather unusual one. I'm surprised it didn't go for more.

_1254104899713.jpg

_1254104912409.jpg

_1254104921164.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Excellent. Thats what I thought, but a bit of confirmation is always good to have. I think I got a heck of a deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters