Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Date???

WARDROBE: tight zipper shirts, tracksuits, designer jeans, fuzzy kangol hats, tiny hoop earrings, fake gold chains, and related Euro-trash garb and tacky cheese-wear.

NATURAL HABITAT: Known to frequent Tri-State area malls looking for club gear to waste their week's pay on (most likely spotted shopping at "Bang Bang" in Staten Island). During the day when not at their food delivery, telemarketting, or construction job, can be located at their local gym tanning or lifting weights

And don't get me going about clubs. I was at a hotel for some event and there was also a club there. Walking by, the hellacious din from within nearly blew me across the parking lot.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Well a lot of girls are goofy and don't go for the vintage look.

They want something closer to this...
douche_bags1.jpg

Dear God, I nearly lost my breakfast. Warn us next time before you post something so noxious! Ugh. Think I've lost my taste for lunch, too.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
And don't get me going about clubs. I was at a hotel for some event and there was also a club there. Walking by, the hellacious din from within nearly blew me across the parking lot.

Try being dragged into one. All my senses bled for a week.

I linked to a picture of JWoww from Jersey Shore in another thread and the reaction was much the same! Incidentally, I did it to illustrate what modern men are attracted to. :rolleyes:

She sure as heck don't do it for me. My friends watch this rubbish and that's about the time I head home. Then they mock me when we're watching some old 40's/50's movie and I'm intoxicated by the class and style of the women. Some people just don't get it.

Incidentally, I did it to illustrate what modern men are attracted to. :rolleyes:

Puzzicato

One Too Many
So I have met an awesome lady who is very into vintage clothing, we have agreed to a vintage date on Wednesday, and I decided to go with something late 40s early 50s casual, but I'm having trouble, as most of my clothes are suited for colder weather, and the date is in Charleston, South Carolina. So here is what I was thinking and I am still very open to suggestions.

I was thinking:
light khaki chino pants
with a light blue chambray
brown leather shoes (loafers perhaps)
straw bucket hat (the type that some people call a fedora but really it isnt)
my 1940s aviators.

Do you think this ensemble would be appropriate for a vintage date, being casual yet true to the theme?

Has it happened yet? Did you have a nice time?

Edward

Bartender
If a woman doesn't see a man again because he paid for something, she's a moron or she was looking for a free gift. In other words, it's not you Travis :)

Within reason. A man who cannot occasionally let a lady pay is, more often than not, deeply insecure about his own masculinity - either that, or in some way (and not always on as base a level as 'she'll put out if I pay') he is seeking to assert a level of ownership over the lady in question. Of course, if I invited a lady out for dinner on a first date, I would insist on paying for her, but that's a different matter.

Well a lot of girls are goofy and don't go for the vintage look.

They want something closer to this...
douche_bags1.jpg

I'm certainly not a one for wanting to hide in the past because I can't cope with contemporary society, but..... jinkies, that represents everything that disgusts me about modern "men". I bet they read so-called "lad's mags".

Oompa loompa extras for a re-re make of Willy Wonka? Look on the bright side. Think of how much their grandchildren are going to laugh at those pictures!

[video=youtube;JNUXXCwlm-s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNUXXCwlm-s&feature=related[/video]

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Within reason. A man who cannot occasionally let a lady pay is, more often than not, deeply insecure about his own masculinity - either that, or in some way (and not always on as base a level as 'she'll put out if I pay') he is seeking to assert a level of ownership over the lady in question. Of course, if I invited a lady out for dinner on a first date, I would insist on paying for her, but that's a different matter.

I put that together with insecurity, for sure, but it took me a while to realize. I had an experience with someone who was violently insecure with his masculinity (often taking it out on me) and one of the things he used to berate me for was wanting to contribute to a night out. He wouldn't have it, so we stopped going out. Makes a lot of sense.

As for the regular phenomenon, I find a lot of men these days will pay for a first date (though I've heard stories...) but as they become more comfortable around you, this will stop. First they start complaining how expensive restaurants today are. Then they complain that what you want to do is too expensive. Soon they start asking you to meet them places instead of picking you up, and before you know it, you're paying the bar tab.
I have no issue with going Dutch treat, nor am I a golddigging party girl. It just appears to me that men today, even those with means, are more concerned with saving a dollar than taking out their girl.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
Wearing a lid and a suit has become weird almost or off putting in a bar or club scene. Yet the aforementioned "club guy guido extraodinaire" will probably get more play in his natural environment cause he looks less like, grandad? It then becomes a matter of quality over quantity. And the (on a good night) one broad in the place who's not some party bitch in Chinese sandals will give you her best *pull me toward you* glances. And while the laymen and laywomen are doing shots at the bar, you're working your magic at a table.

Drappa

One Too Many
Wearing a lid and a suit has become weird almost or off putting in a bar or club scene. Yet the aforementioned "club guy guido extraodinaire" will probably get more play in his natural environment cause he looks less like, grandad? It then becomes a matter of quality over quantity. And the (on a good night) one broad in the place who's not some party bitch in Chinese sandals will give you her best *pull me toward you* glances. And while the laymen and laywomen are doing shots at the bar, you're working your magic at a table.

I think that sort of language in reference to women is quite inappropriate.

Edward

Bartender
As for the regular phenomenon, I find a lot of men these days will pay for a first date (though I've heard stories...) but as they become more comfortable around you, this will stop. First they start complaining how expensive restaurants today are. Then they complain that what you want to do is too expensive. Soon they start asking you to meet them places instead of picking you up, and before you know it, you're paying the bar tab.
I have no issue with going Dutch treat, nor am I a golddigging party girl. It just appears to me that men today, even those with means, are more concerned with saving a dollar than taking out their girl.

Oh certainly.... as with anything in life, there is a happy medium.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy