Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Hairstyles with thin, fine hair?

Elina

New in Town
Hi all!

I'm a new member of this site, which seems wonderful to me :) Lots of threads and lots of pictures! Yey!

I've loved the "old times" since I was 14 (now I'm 20), but it's not until recently (January) that I started to experiment with those old hairstyles as well.

Now, here's the issue I've got...; My hair is very fine, with thin hairs. (scandinavian hair it's called (?) )
Because of that, my hair gets very drawn up, and tends to frizz, when I do pin curls. My hair takes the curls very easily..

I'm planning to get the "middy" haircut, with the layers, to see if it'll help me with the curls. I'll try to keep as much length as possible though, since my hair draws up so much (and tends my hair to look more like a bob)

I just wanted to ask if there is anyone else who can recognize themself with this? Or anyone that has got any tips or advices?

Here are some pics... unfortunately I took this on a "bad-hair-and-pin-curl- day"...hehe.

v6l0m0.jpg

2vvpf6t.jpg

zx1ljq.jpg

Mary

Practically Family
Hello neighbor. Where do you live? Don't miss the next get-together if your close to Copenhagen the 21st.

I have the same problems with my hair. No solutions though.[huh]

Elina

New in Town
Oh, I'm not alone then...

Jag är från norra Sverige :) That's too far from Copenhagen though :/

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I have really straight fine hair too and I find it really hard to do a whole lot with it. Even hair clips eventually slide out of my hair!

My hair rarely holds a curl with curling tongs or heated rollers (even when I spray it with tons of Elnett Diamond Hold!) but one style that works for me is Victory Rolls - I can now do two rolls - one at each side (can't do one on back as yet but hope to master it some day) and with some Kirby Grips and a lot of Elnett it holds all evening. I'll try to post a photo of myself next time I do it.

I have always wanted a wave in my hair - even just a slight bend in it - I can't understand the love people have for straightening irons at all! [huh]

Elina - I love the pin curls you've done in your photo - they're really lovely and really suit you!

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
I can't really help you, but I will follow this thread as I have the same problem as you.
Oh, I agree with Mary. It would be lovely if you could join us on the 21st. If not, maybe next time we could meet in Malmø instead? :)

Elina

New in Town
Tinseltown said:
I can't really help you, but I will follow this thread as I have the same problem as you.
Oh, I agree with Mary. It would be lovely if you could join us on the 21st. If not, maybe next time we could meet in Malmø instead? :)

Well, it would be nice. But, since I live up in the North, it's quite a far way from Malmö (where I've never been)... a pity, but, that's how it is. :p

Elina

New in Town
Lareesie Ladavi said:
I have what is like a middy right now and my hair is fine. It works okay...it's the breakage from styling fine hair, that sucks.

I see...I'd like to see how my hair would look like with a middy cut... I just don't know if I should wait for my hair to grow a bit more before I go for the cut...hmm...

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Hi there-

I also have VERY fine hair and I have used some good stuff that kept curls for me.

When my hair was wet I put in some Pureology Texture Twist all over. Then blow dried until damp. Then I set my hair with Lock N Rollers (the rubbery ones from Clairol) and then hit it with the dryer and left them in for about 90 minutes.

Took them out and the curls looked lovely and stayed in! Used a smoothing cream and lots of spray.

Wish I had some pics, but hoping to get some soon! Best of luck and keep trying!

Baby Jane

New in Town
I have the exact hair problem as you. My hair is very fine, thin, & sparse with natural wave. Its so fine and sparse that it is impossible for me to have bangs. There's just not enough hair to do it. It does curls really easily though. I got the middy cut 2 months ago and I love it! I wash my hair, put curl activating mousse in it, and then put in pillow rollers overnight. In the morning I comb through the curls with my fingers and set with hairspray. My hair actually looks alot fuller now. I say go for it!!

dani

Familiar Face
i also have very fine hair, but you do better then i do. my arms start to hurt trying to do pin curls, so i gave up on them:(

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I have baby fine stick straight hair...

I also have a three weeks old perm that was rolled with smaller rods than should have been done. I have gone now twice to a hairdresser in SF that Art Deco Society members and my vintage dealer guru "Miz Jula" recommended.This SF hairdresser has done fantastic vintage style magic with my hair! I'm going again this Sat for a third time and a third hairstyle.

With my hair, he is doing a wet set with gel, and using three sizes of rollers, the kind with the pricklies that stick out. The trick to removing them without ripping out one's hair is to take them out unrolling it the same way it was put in. He said the key for the wet set is that the hair has to get completely dry befrore taking the rollers out. I sit under the dryer hood for at least a half an hour and then a little more. He suggested I look for a portable one on Craig's List. Otherwise, roll the set at night and sleep on it overnight to get it dry. No blowdrying, no brushing, just a comb double ended pick. Fluff the curl a bit with the pick end , then shape the curl over ones finger with the comb end.To sleep on the finished set, use a satin pillow case or wrap my hair Rosie the Riveter style with a silk scarf.

He picked up the rollers, and end papers (for the smallest size roller), and the pick/comb for me at his beauty supply and let me pay him back for the items. This way I have the same tools/suppliers he used in the salon at my home.

He said pin curls are really really hard to do, especially on oneself. Doesn't recommend pin curls for me.

I'm eventually going go have him do maybe four or five different sets with various styles of hats (as I wear vintage hats ALOT), and a basic day look when without a hat. He's letting me have pics taken of the sets after they are rolled, and after the rollers are removed, so DD and/or DH can help me replicate these hairstyles at home. By printing out the pictures, I'll basically have a style notebook for my hairdos available that can be referred to at home.

I talked to him about growing my hair and the perm out. He said the perm is actually good right now as its keeping the curls to stay. He would still keep it layered when longer, and next time do a body wave with big size rollers. Not a perm.

old yazoo

Familiar Face
oh thank goodness I found you!! I share all of these problems - super fine, thin hair that is straight as a poker!! It won't hold curl if there is the slightest bit of humidity near me, but I do like a product called Ecoly Willow Bark heat curling lotion. They make a setting lotion too, but as I'm usually short on time I heat style my hair. I also like Mop's root lifter, this is only useful if you blow dry, but it's nice stuff.

I'm considering getting a perm just so my hair will hold a style and have more body!! Just afraid of damaging it further...

DameIniquitous

New in Town
I can't imagine how wonderful it would be to have nice straight hair.

I have really find hair...that has a slight wave to it. Not enough to be wavy all over, but wavy at the front.

So I use a straightening iron to get rid of the frizz at the front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland