Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Hats in the Texas Hill Country

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
My wife and I were in Blanco, Texas yesterday, at Granberry's Antiques. For any of you who live close to the Hill Country, I saw the following: a Resistol Open Road-style hat, size 7.5, with a Nebraska Centennial head liner dating the hat at 1963, $25.00. A narrow-brimmed Dobbs, black, no size, probaby 7 or less, cheap, and another like it. A beautiful Royal Stetson (Deluxe?) grey fedora, with a pencil roll brim, with original box and a plastic hat model in its own little Box, probably a size 7 or less, $150.00. A Stetson Open Road-style, probably 7 or 7 and 1/8, from a shop in Waco. 3 very nice old vintage western hats, 2 size seven and on approx. 7 and 1/4, all from the 60's and in great shape. Several other misc. narrow brims, and the occasional Resistol.

We didn't come away empty-handed. My wife spotted a nice old light grey fedora that she had to have, marked $15.00. Turned out to be a very, very old Dobbs Fifth Avenue, mint, with 2.5-inch brim, a 5-inch crown, and a wide black ribbon. The hat is so light, thin, soft and supple that I wondered how it even stood up by itself. Now I know what you guys are talking about when you say that the older hats are best.

varga49

One of the Regulars
Hmm guess I'll mosey over there and get me one!

Uncle Vern said:
My wife and I were in Blanco, Texas yesterday, at Granberry's Antiques. For any of you who live close to the Hill Country, I saw the following: a Resistol Open Road-style hat, size 7.5, with a Nebraska Centennial head liner dating the hat at 1963, $25.00. A narrow-brimmed Dobbs, black, no size, probaby 7 or less, cheap, and another like it. A beautiful Royal Stetson (Deluxe?) grey fedora, with a pencil roll brim, with original box and a plastic hat model in its own little Box, probably a size 7 or less, $150.00. A Stetson Open Road-style, probably 7 or 7 and 1/8, from a shop in Waco. 3 very nice old vintage western hats, 2 size seven and on approx. 7 and 1/4, all from the 60's and in great shape. Several other misc. narrow brims, and the occasional Resistol.

We didn't come away empty-handed. My wife spotted a nice old light grey fedora that she had to have, marked $15.00. Turned out to be a very, very old Dobbs Fifth Avenue, mint, with 2.5-inch brim, a 5-inch crown, and a wide black ribbon. The hat is so light, thin, soft and supple that I wondered how it even stood up by itself. Now I know what you guys are talking about when you say that the older hats are best.

Thanks for the info Verne, Blanco is nearly in the neighborhood

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
I hope you guys strike gold. Let us know what you find. I deeply regret not buying that little Resistol Open Road with the cool Nebraska Centennial lining. I'll bet it'll soon have a home.

varga49

One of the Regulars
Uncle Vern said:
I hope you guys strike gold. Let us know what you find. I deeply regret not buying that little Resistol Open Road with the cool Nebraska Centennial lining. I'll bet it'll soon have a home.

Verne if you feel that way about that resistol...email me and I can get it for you...I called them today. Apparently that one is still there. I can get it and ship it for nothing more than it costs to make that happen!

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
Thanks for your generous offer. In fact, the real reason I didn't buy the hat is because my wife, who has more common sense than me, and fully supports my hat habit, has gently convinced me that while I labored under the fantasy that wearing the narrow-brim Resistol Open Road gave me a classic, vintage Texan Hill Country look, it in fact caused me to more closely resemble Zippy the Pinhead. I'm too tall and long-limbed for the hat. Fact is, I can barely get away with wearing my old 60's Open road with a 2 and 3/4-inch brim.
Do you Live in Austin? I do. There's a store on South Congress called Uncommon Objects. There's a vintage, light tan Knox 40 fedora for sale there, with a beautiful roan leather sweatband, for $45.00. It's in mint condition, but too small for me. I'd guess it's a 7 and 1/4-inch fit. If it calls to you, you'd better jump on it.

varga49

One of the Regulars
Thanks Verne

...If you ever get to Fredericksburg, look me up!
I may have to go get that Resistol now!...I wanted you to have first err second crack at it!

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
No reason why the resistol shouldn't wind up in Sicily--some of those Sicilians are at least as tough as the Texas Rangers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy