Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Outerwear: Threads of the Past

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I got a message about this jacket yesterday. He was looking for info and found Seattle jackets on my youtube channel.

I see he posted the jacket on a FB group and has people excited.

My ladies jacket has no leather mention, but it is the same Borhide. There you go, Take a nice Borhead jacket home to the Wife!

Pigskin was advertised, but few examples remain. I assume few were made.

I've seen the Sawyer tanning label in a few other jackets. No doubt the tannery the West Coast makers were using for their fine hides.

I've seen a few other tanning labels in jackets, but only a few.

I don't recall every seeing a Borhead leather mentioned on a label.

Nacho

Practically Family
I love bacon, ham and pork chops. Pigskin jackets however, should be destroyed and we should never, never ever, speak of them at any point in the future. Absolutely horrendous hide. Worst leather ever.
Yup, it ain't the toughest, the best or the most beautiful. That's why we only use it for linings in shoemaking.

Not really, there are pigskin shoes.

Also I would recon that Boars being as tough as they are their leather would be too.
Horned, hairy pig…still a pig. Not everything from the past was good. Pigskin jackets are a perfect example. I know that there are contemporary examples, mainly cheap pig suede.

Here’s a presumably vintage cloth and pig HB. Just look at that “leather”. People want to gripe about about Vanson’s pore rich modern comp weight….how about this nausea inducing, grotesque, pock marked mess:
IMG_4287.jpeg
IMG_4288.jpeg

IMG_4289.jpeg

Zoom in. I dare you. You can almost smell this hide through the photos.

Last edited:

Nacho

Practically Family
Not really, there are pigskin shoes.

Also I would recon that Boars being as tough as they are their leather would be too.
I don’t doubt it. But for the last 7 years working in the shoe repair industry, I’ve never seen one coming to our shop. And we’re dealing with people from all walks of life.

The pigskin isn’t an attractive hide. The pores are too noticeable (trypophobia!!!). And it’s too thin for dye to set in properly. That’s why you don’t see any pigskin with colours very often.

Too bad because them swines make some good-ass BBQ though. Rib tips anyone?

Last edited:

Nacho

Practically Family
Horned, hairy pig…still a pig. Not everything from the past was good. Pigskin jackets are a perfect example. I know that there are contemporary examples, mainly cheap pig suede.

Here’s a presumably vintage cloth and pig HB. Just look at that “leather”. People want to gripe about about Vanson’s pore rich modern comp weight….how about this nausea inducing, grotesque, pock marked mess:
View attachment 504876 View attachment 504877
View attachment 504878
Zoom in. I dare you. You can almost smell this hide through the photos.
Dang man. I got goosebumps just by looking at that hide.

Yikes!

Bonasera

One of the Regulars
I got a schott ribbon label perfecto.
Comparing with my another pefecto, there are some different points.

It's said the right one was released earlier than the left one.
DSC_2279~2.JPG
DSC_2278~2.JPG

・Lether : right one is thicker (about 1.5 times than left), and touch is like horsehide.
・Upper collar : left one is wider
・Epaulettes R : rounded shape, back is cotton
L : angular shape, back is leather
・Front zipper : both are talon, but different shape. And marks on zipper boxes are different.(R : "Talon" L : "T")
・Cuff gusset R : leather & one side separated
L : vinyl & not separated
・Cuff zipper : both are same shape, but there is a mark "ESKO" on the left one.
・Back of Belt R : cotton L : leather
・Belt width : right is narrower than left by 5mm.
・Belt buckle width : right is narrower than left by 4mm.

Stitch : right has double stitch on some parts.
DSC_2272~2.JPG DSC_2274~2.JPG DSC_2276~2.JPG DSC_2277~2.JPG DSC_2275~3.JPG

Here’s one you don’t see everyday. Jansha tanning company, rough out suede Halfbelt. The company was founded in 1932 according to their site. They are still in biz as of today, albeit under a different name:
https://www.quilcedaleather.com/about

I’ve seen the label before, mainly hippie, boho fringed jackets. This particular jacket has all the hallmarks of a typical 50’s era HB. Very hairy suede and surprisingly thick!
IMG_4308.jpeg
IMG_4309.jpeg
IMG_4310.jpeg
IMG_4311.jpeg

The false action back is an interesting design choice. I like it. It fits well and like most suede jackets just melts over the shoulders.
IMG_4331.jpeg

IMG_4328.jpeg
IMG_4325.jpeg

IMG_4327.jpeg

Leigh H

Practically Family
@
Here’s one you don’t see everyday. Jansha tanning company, rough out suede Halfbelt. The company was founded in 1932 according to their site. They are still in biz as of today, albeit under a different name:

I’ve seen the label before, mainly hippie, boho fringed jackets. This particular jacket has all the hallmarks of a typical 50’s era HB. Very hairy suede and surprisingly thick!
View attachment 505463 View attachment 505464 View attachment 505465 View attachment 505466
The false action back is an interesting design choice. I like it. It fits well and like most suede jackets just melts over the shoulders.
View attachment 505684
View attachment 505686 View attachment 505687
View attachment 505685
@ton312 was that the one in grailed?

Looks great on you!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 505463 View attachment 505464 View attachment 505465 View attachment 505466
View attachment 505684
View attachment 505686 View attachment 505687
View attachment 505685
Love it!! Nice fit too.

dirigoboy

New in Town
Might be tough to find as those early leather jackets often were used for everything, work wear and social use alike. Maybe those really early wool and leather railcoats would be an example of something a bit more intentionally work oriented?
While I haven't taken the time to scroll down thru all the replies, I will not be surprised with a finding that suggests that, those leather jackets and coats may have eminated with military contracts, considering early aviators and the like. A suggestion and observation. I had an Uncle Stanley who was just that chap......an aviator during WWI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy