Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Outerwear: Threads of the Past

semolina_pilchard

One of the Regulars
Good question. I have researched All Weather, but found nothing beyond the label. They were labeled San Francisco. I've owned one or two and pics of others. Leather Garment Co. Is listed on "some" labels, not sure if is on your jacket. That makes me think a maker. Just can't confirm at this point.

I do know they made a variety of styles, very worked oriented. No nonsense heavy horsehide jackets.

Others here own All Weathers. I will post some more when home.

Your new jacket reminds me Of a Ralphs-Pugh I own. Simple lines with a nice piping touch on the front.

Picture the zipper pull and stop. Probably late 40s early 50s
@tmitchell59 @JMax

I did a bit of digging around All Weather and Leather Garment Co. and found wanted ads in the San Francisco Examiner from the mid-40s through the 50s for cutters and operators.

So it looks like you were right - they were a maker and were based at 1475 Eddy St in San Francisco.

1694009264068.png

1694009312954.png

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Bumping this thread up to the top with some Trojan ads. Talk about inflation without using the word inflation...

Two different addresses, 1024 South La Brea and 420 South Main Street Los Angeles, which came first and when was the move?

Night Rider or the Champion?

I wonder if Flynntan tannery is still around?

Los Angeles Trojan.jpg

Los Angeles Trojan 2.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Bumping this thread up to the top with some Trojan ads. Talk about inflation without using the word inflation...

Two different addresses, 1024 South La Brea and 420 South Main Street Los Angeles, which came first and when was the move?

View attachment 545955
View attachment 545956
Very interesting, the LA address is the oldest. Inglewood ad is early 50s describing nylon lining. The LA ad mentions the same model in medium weight horsehide. LA ad has zip out lining option!!

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Trojan were exs

View attachment 545955
View attachment 545956
Trojans were expensive jackets for their time. Perhaps the cost resulted in fewer jackets being purchased which is why Trojan are so rare to turn up today

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Trojans were expensive jackets for their time. Perhaps the cost resulted in fewer jackets being purchased which is why Trojan are so rare to turn up today

I thought about the cost too. A Buco Allstate sold for $32.95 in the 1950 Sears catalog, a regular MC jacket sold for $27.50 in the same catalog. The Trojan ad is from around the same time.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Trojan were exs

I thought about the cost too. A Buco Allstate sold for $32.95 in the 1950 Sears catalog, a regular MC jacket sold for $27.50 in the same catalog. The Trojan ad is from around the same time.
They were pricier for sure. 30 dollars in pre war years was a lot of money.

Very cool jacket.

alish

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know anything about the Sport Jack label and whether it is in any way linked with the Sportclad label (e.g. same leather shop but two different labels or ??)? There's a Sport Jack jacket on ebay that looks identical to one being sold as a Sportclad (which has a new liner and no tags / labels (see pics below)):

Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 11.11.45 AM.png

The above jacket has the following label:

Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 11.12.13 AM.png

And the one that is listed as a Sportclad:

Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 11.12.56 AM.png

The backs are identical as well (both with a button-on belt).

Maybe the one that was re-lined is actually a Sport Jack, but the seller is just taking advantage of the Sportclad name to try to get top dollar (it's been listed for $1600 for a couple of years!). Either way, I'd still be interested in hearing if anyone knows anything about the Sport Jack label. I did a little poking around online and didn't find anything. I know some of you here are pretty dialed in on this stuff so I thought I'd ask! Thanks in advance! And thanks to everyone who contributes to this amazing resource!!

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Yes, same maker; different label. Sportclad was a well known label of JC Penney. Perhaps the Sport Jack was a take off Sportclad.

As a name, Sportclad does mean quality, but they were just a label.

This style of jacket, no matter the label, is not worth any where near $1600

Identifying the maker of jackets is possible, but has limits and takes a lot of knowledge. No idea the maker of this jacket.

The Sportclad label is the dominant label for JC Penney through out the 1940s, ending around 1951.

alish

One of the Regulars
Yes, same maker; different label. Sportclad was a well known label of JC Penney. Perhaps the Sport Jack was a take off Sportclad.

As a name, Sportclad does mean quality, but they were just a label.

This style of jacket, no matter the label, is not worth any where near $1600

Identifying the maker of jackets is possible, but has limits and takes a lot of knowledge. No idea the maker of this jacket.

The Sportclad label is the dominant label for JC Penney through out the 1940s, ending around 1951.

Thanks so much Terry!

Leigh H

Practically Family
Found via Instagram, a really nice 30s sports jacket made by Meier & Frank, Portland.

Looked online about the brand, they had a huge department store for 149 years!

Clark Gable worked at Meier & Frank selling neckties before he met his fame and fortune as an actor.

[/URL]

IMG_4826.jpeg
IMG_4828.jpeg
IMG_4827.jpeg
IMG_4824.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4825.jpeg
    IMG_4825.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4824.jpeg
    IMG_4824.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 25