Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Jerekson said:
Thanks. That should be really helpful in my quest. I'l lgo look it up right now, as a matter of fact.

That's partially the reason I wanted the glasses in the first place; I look alot like DiCaprio (face-wise) so I figured I would look good in a similar pair.

Maybe I'm just crazy though. :p It seems that I've "ruined" alot of different styles of glasses :rolleyes:

God, that must be such a drag. I hope you carry a good, stout stick for beating all those pesky girls off with.

Jerekson

One Too Many
We all know about the vintage eyeglasses, but what about vintage sunglasses? I hardly ever hear anyone bring this up.

I for one, love the sunglasses Howie wore in the Aviator film.

So, what are we looking at here? What kind of sun-eyewear did people wear in the 30's and 40's?

Do your worst! ;)

-J

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
here are some of mine.

I also have a pair of aviator shaped sunglasses that are made of the same clear plastic as the top pair, but they are far too fragile to wear at this point.

I'm not positive on the vintage of any of these, other than the pair in the last picture, which are '80s reproductions my dad picked up.

IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_4721.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

Jerekson

One Too Many
Swell! I especially like the ones in the second picture; a bit clumsy and cyborg looking, if you will, but at the same time really cool and classic looking. I would love a pair like that.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Nice glasses!

My mom has some very old vintage sunglasses probably from the 20's. They belonged to some distant relative. They are very similar to the ones in the second photo, but have thinner wire arms and the shade things on the side are metal mesh (I can't tell from the photo what they look like on your glasses). They are very neat, I'll have to ask her for those next time I go home.

I don't wanna hijack this thread, but I have some adorable vintage sunglasses that I can't seem to date. I want to say late 50's/early 60's, but wouldn't be surprised if they were later. Here's a picture:

glasses.jpg

Any ideas?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The thing I like about those side screen goggle type ones is that they're close to indestructable.
With the plastic framed ones, I have to be careful, as the plastic (or whatever it really is) gets brittle.
The goggle ones are all metal and glass, with nothing that can really break.

They are quite heavy, though.
I need to find myself a pair of windsor willsons with green lenses.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Frames

I have been in the market for a new set of specs and have been looking at a vintage set on eBay. It stuns me how much they bring but lots seem to be dead stock and looking at LadyDays suggested site (thanks that was great LD!) the eBay jobs are the same or cheaper.

Has anyone a view of which are the best design-wise? The best construction-wise?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails