Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

nerdator

New in Town
if you are not that much into vintage sunglasses, try the Randolph Aviator, it comes with a gold frame, looks cool and is highly functional, it is or has been the standard sunglasses for the US navy and air force, I, for my part, use it in the car, and increasingly every day, I love it, got it as a bargain (30 dollars) on ebay, the temples are straight (bayonet temples), so that you can put them on and off easily while wearing a helmet, the lenses are amber. Let me show you a pic:

sunglasses_01.jpg

They are mil spec, high-quality glasses, they have been so since the 1970's, became popular through Top Gun etc.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Watched Last Crusade the other night - check this out.

PDVD_003.png

PDVD_007.png

Are those babies awesome, or are they awesome?

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Very, very nice. :eusa_clap I tend to like the crossbar on the top of round glasses though. Without it I look like Lennon or Harry Potter.:eusa_doh:

Regards,
Hollis

Old Focals

Giving away a source here. Have not been by in years. The web site is lousey, but my last visit was nice. Old Pasadena area. New old stock that knocked me out. Small shop.
Old Focals
45 W. Green St.
Pasadena, CA 91105
Phone: (626) 441-8205
Phone2: (626) 793-7073

Sunny

One Too Many
Jerekson said:
Watched Last Crusade the other night - check this out.

PDVD_003.png

Are those babies awesome, or are they awesome?

Aha, I'd forgotten those! Thanks for the pictures. :eusa_clap

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
1930sEsquire103.jpg

Those are certainly interesting. Not exactly a look I think I could see many people pulling off though.

Texasgirl- those glasses look quite nice.

Jerekson

One Too Many
RondoHatton said:
Giving away a source here. Have not been by in years. The web site is lousey, but my last visit was nice. Old Pasadena area. New old stock that knocked me out. Small shop.
Old Focals
45 W. Green St.
Pasadena, CA 91105
Phone: (626) 441-8205
Phone2: (626) 793-7073

Thanks alot Rondo.

I'll be sure to check the place out, next time I'm in the area.

Were there any particular sunglass styles you recall?

Mr Blaine

New in Town
Hi all.

From scanning this site, it would apear that you guys know alot about 1930's/40's clothing and acessories. I am looking for examples of Mens Sunglasses; it would be a great help if you could post pictures; I would love to get a pair for the Summer; can any one help me please?

Take care and I thank you in advance,

Paul.

Jerekson

One Too Many
There are lots of examples of typical men's sunglasses in the previous pages of this thread; why don't you go back and take a look. Styles often varied in the golden era, as you will probably see - so you'll need to find a particular style that you like.

Tomorrow I will post some new pictures, and you can take a look at those...until then, feel free to PM me for any additional info regarding eyewear.

Barry

Practically Family
I bought from Optics Planet. They have 52mm, 55mm and 57mm and lots of options to pick from within each size. I selected amber lenses, polarized and the bayonet temple. The 52mm are a tiny bit big on me, I think. The frames and lenses are lightweight. I'm not sure how much knocking around they could handle.

There is a large open window to my right.

sung.jpg

Salv

One Too Many
If they're good enough for Travis Bickle, they're good enough for anyone:

F2005041414523900000.jpg

I have a similar pair - the Aviator style by Randolph. They're slightly more expensive than the Peterman version at $75.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Salv said:
If they're good enough for Travis Bickle, they're good enough for anyone:

F2005041414523900000.jpg

I have a similar pair - the Aviator style by Randolph. They're slightly more expensive than the Peterman version at $75.

You'd be surprised how often I use that logic to make a decision: At restaurants I wonder what Travis Bickle would order, and I often ask myself, What would Travis Bickle do?

Cheers guys.

PS: Salv, I may have forgotten a track list. If that means antything to you yet, let me know.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Navy Exchange

When I was in the Navy in the early 90's I believe they were $14 for the silver framed ones and $16 or $18 for the gold frames at the Navy Exchange. I bought one pair of each. They are still around somewhere, but my eyes aren't perfect anymore...lol.

Cheers,

---Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore