Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
No other colors or sizes...I hope they fit my melon!

I know we are not supposed to post ebay auctions but these are not on auction. I could post a link if the bartenders approve.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I had just looked at the sunglasses before reading the description, and my first thought was that they looked like they'd have been worn by a German officer during one of the World Wars. To me they carry a detached militarism about them-- the sort of shades you'd sport with heavy boots and duck trousers.

mackenzie

Familiar Face
I got a pair of those that I found in a vintage-deadstock eyeglass store in Amsterdam. Just take my advice- do not look directly at the sun with them on :D

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm a fan of old celluloid sunglasses. Don't leave them anywhere hot, though. Mine are find, I haven't made that mistake, but of the ones I've run across in antique stores, most have been warped pretty badly.

Edward

Bartender
Speaking of vintage sunglasses, What are those you're sporting in your current avatar, Spitfire? At first I thought RAF, but looking more closely, that seems wrong....

I have my eye on a pair of the RAFs, though I'm loathe to spend the £65 new.... maybe as a present to myself once I've been Lasik'ed.... I also have a pair of 30s spectacles I bought for pennies on eBay - I plan to have those relensed as sunglasses.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Speaking of vintage sunglasses, What are those you're sporting in your current avatar, Spitfire? At first I thought RAF, but looking more closely, that seems wrong....

I have my eye on a pair of the RAFs, though I'm loathe to spend the £65 new.... maybe as a present to myself once I've been Lasik'ed.... I also have a pair of 30s spectacles I bought for pennies on eBay - I plan to have those relensed as sunglasses.

They are absolutely RAF MK VIII.
See other thread:http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=636612#post636612

Flieger

Practically Family
Sorry. I live in the northern hemisphere and i haven't seen the sun in weeks. No need for shades until April 2009. :(

/Flieger

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
For me Rayban Clubmasters. I have had mine for 22 years now.

clubm.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let's see...it's Seattle...it's drizzling...it's gray enough out that I've seen more than one car zipping through the neighborhood (ah, the joys of an office at home!) with headlights on. So what sunglasses? None.

Interesting sidenote - there are more sunglasses sold per capita in Seattle than anywhere else in the country.

My usuals are my 30+ year old RayBan Wayfarers or Aviators. I've ended up with a few pairs of each - Wayfarers large & regular lens, and black and tortoise shell.

MadelienneBlack

One of the Regulars
Vintage 1960's Tortoise Shell sunglasses. Acquired from my mother's friend who was cleaning out her basement. "Who'd wanna wear those things?" she said. Oh, if only she knew.

sunglasses2.jpg

sunglasses1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner