Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I prefer to wear Dark Glasses, at all times in public, as having such Kind eyes, Beggars, Buskers, and Homeless persons, tend to cluster around, and annoy one"

3877937142_1098b41bfb_m.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BinkieBaumont said:
"I prefer to wear Dark Glasses, at all times in public, as having such Kind eyes, Beggars, Buskers, and Homeless persons, tend to cluster around, and annoy one"

3877937142_1098b41bfb_m.jpg

I have seen you without yer specs......hey buddy I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today....:eek:

mattfink

Practically Family
People are wearing sweatpants and pj bottoms in public...I'm not so worried about their sunglasses at this point.

armod

Familiar Face
BinkieBaumont said:
"I prefer to wear Dark Glasses, at all times in public, as having such Kind eyes, Beggars, Buskers, and Homeless persons, tend to cluster around, and annoy one"]
I know exactly what you're saying.
I always try to look extra mean when I turn them down

OldSoul

Familiar Face
Does anyone know of a website that would help me date a pair of Wayfarers I picked up this weekend at a local antique dealer? Or perhaps we have a local expert? Wayfarers are a little 'new' for this site (circa '52 if I remember correctly?) but they are popular so I imagine someone around here may be able to help me out. [huh]

Mike1973

A-List Customer
I was given these last week :cool:

IMG_5594.jpg

They belonged to a good friends grandfather, and I assume are from the '40's. He was in the Royal Navy during the war, working his way up through the ranks. Would be great if they could find a pic of him wearing them as well!

The fit a treat, but have not managed to get a decent pic of me wearing them yet.

South

One of the Regulars
Who Makes Good Aviator Style Sunglasses?

Many years ago, I went through several pairs of Ray-Ban aviators. Haven't bought any Ray-Bans in a long time. I recently looked at some and see that B&L doesn't own them any more and they are priced pretty high for what they are (over $100 for Ray-Bans!).

Anyway, is there someone else out there that makes a quality pair of aviator style sunglasses? Preferably with glass lenses and polarized.

Thanks.

theinterchange

One Too Many

Dixon Cannon

I just don't think you can beat Ray Ban's classic aviators. I did manage to find a great pair of old style aviators with a sweat band at a truck stop late one night though!!

-dixon cannon

South

One of the Regulars
theinterchange said:
Costa Del Mar has an aviator style sunglass.

http://costadelmar.com/store/BVModules/ProductTemplates/Costa%20-%20Product%20Layout/Product.aspx?productid=51808826-0a7c-4a17-9544-6bf415076ae6

I've owned several pairs of Costas over the years and have found them to be of the best quality. They're pricey, but worth it, in my book. I prefer their CR 39 lenses for lightness' sake, glass lenses give me brutal headaches!

Randy

Randy,

Thanks. Why do glass lenses gives you headaches?

South

One of the Regulars
Dixon Cannon said:

Dixon,

Thanks. I'm guessing these have plastic lenses? Are they optically true? Any idea who makes them?

The statement on that page, "MILSPEC PRINTED ON CASE" - does that mean these are actual issue, or just the case, or just that the case has "MILSPEC" printed on the case? Do you know what country they are made in?

Thanks again for the info.

Dixon Cannon

pur-o-rayWWIIsunglasses.jpg

Here are the real deal WWII USAAF 'Pur-O-Ray' Sunglasses. I don't own these - just googled them. I have a pair of Stussy si007 Big Aviators that are styled after these.

I don't know about the aforementioned website; they're just inexpensive, that's all I know1

-dixon cannon

Highlander

A-List Customer
SMglasses-vi.jpg
I have worn the RayBan Outdoorsman II for numerous years, in both clear lenses and green (sun glasses lenses). Great glasses, they wear well (cable temples), and you have a great field of vision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails