Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage/thrifting in DC/Rockville MC area

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
You might have more luck in the Observation Bar or the Steamer Trunk where there are more readers. You'll be more likely to get a good answer.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've had a lot of luck menswear-wise at the montgomery general hospital thrift shop over in Olney, and at the Humane Society one, Wagging Tails Thrift & Gifts
1334 E Gude Dr Rockville, MD. I've found some good things at Unique Thrift Store Bazaar 12211 Veirs Mill Rd Silver Spring, MD, but it's a big place and there's a lot to wade through to get one or two good finds. As far as vintage shops go, take a look at "Treasury" if you're in DC.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I go to the Montgomery Hospital shop a lot for kids' clothing, usually in great shape. I've had ok luck with shoes and purses but it's been at least a decade since I've found any clothing there.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
kamikat said:
I'm in Rockville and can honestly say there's nothing good in Montgomery County.

Absolutely false in my opinion.

Unique Thrift Store and Bazaar at Veirs Mill and Randolph is a fantastic thrift store the size of a Walmart.

There are a couple of good ones (one salvation army, one other) on 355 from Rockville up to Gaithersburg.

Upscale Resale is not bad either, but I forgot where it is and there are a couple of other ones that I have stopped in on the way to school, but I am not sure where. Down in Silver Spring I think.

Edit:
Dinerman said:
I've had a lot of luck menswear-wise at the montgomery general hospital thrift shop over in Olney, and at the Humane Society one, Wagging Tails Thrift & Gifts
1334 E Gude Dr Rockville, MD. I've found some good things at Unique Thrift Store Bazaar 12211 Veirs Mill Rd Silver Spring, MD, but it's a big place and there's a lot to wade through to get one or two good finds. As far as vintage shops go, take a look at "Treasury" if you're in DC.

Oops, I missed your post. I agree that Unique is a lot to handle, but it is definitely worth it.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Yeps said:
Absolutely false in my opinion.
There's a big difference in thrifting for menswear and thrifting for womenswear. I assume you are generally looking for men's clothing. The OP posted in the PR because she's looking for input from women. In all of the thrift stores I've been to in MoCo (where I've lived all my life) the vast majority of the women's clothing I find is 80's and 90's with a smattering of 70's. If you want some acid-washed jeans, have at it.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
kamikat said:
There's a big difference in thrifting for menswear and thrifting for womenswear. I assume you are generally looking for men's clothing. The OP posted in the PR because she's looking for input from women. In all of the thrift stores I've been to in MoCo (where I've lived all my life) the vast majority of the women's clothing I find is 80's and 90's with a smattering of 70's. If you want some acid-washed jeans, have at it.

Sorry, I was out of place. I apologize for my intrusion.

Odile

New in Town
I grew up in this area and my absolute favorite is Polly Sue's in Takoma Park MD (6915 Laurel Avenue). They have an amazing selection and very reasonable prices. There's also a place called re-wind a few stores down, I haven't had much luck there but its worth checking out if you're in the area.

If you make it to Georgetown in DC there is a great vintage store there called Annie Creamcheese (3279 M Street). Its a bit more pricey than Polly Sue's (they actually know what they have) but still an amazing selection including a designer section thats always fun to browse.

Have fun!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I forgot about Polly Sue's! They have lovely things but have always been out of my price range. The great thing about Poly Sue's is that it's very Metro accessible, only a few blocks from the Takoma Park station.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran