Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visit to Vintage Sillhoutettes

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Today I went to Rodeo and visited Art Fawcett at Vintage Sillhouettes. He has a fantastic collection of vintage clothing, shoes, hats, ladies dresses. You can't believe the amount of stuff, a life time worth of collecting!!

He most graciously allowed me to take a few pictures today, and I am posting them for your enjoyment. These photos are JUST his hat working room, with the assorted pouncing machine, sand box (hat brim press), irons, hat blocks, brim blocks, and tons of ribbon, liners, supplies, and hats - both straw and felt. Art not only renovates hats, but he can create new straw and felt.

f9c98ed0.jpg

f9c98eca.jpg
f9c98ec6.jpg
f9c98ec0.jpg
f9c98ebb.jpg

The top photo is Art at his work table, the others are his work shelves, the work bench and hat block rack.

Hope you enjoy. Thanks Art! Good luck on the show in this week!!

Pen Collector

One of the Regulars
Can't see the photos

Andy,

I can't view the photos. I keep getting a message that says
"Sorry, you are trying to access an image from outside of ImageStation.com."

In fact I have not be able to view any pictures you have ever posted.

What would I have to do to view the pics on my PC?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I had the same trouble, but I found a workaround of a sort. There is some kind of extra information tagged onto the jpg file URL. What I did was to right click on the "missing" photo, select "Properties," and the copy the URL listed up through the .jpg extension. Then I paste that into the address bar on the browser, and the photo shows up.

The original URL looks like this:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/pa41133e1b7d4446c81f08fe827149f5d/f9c98ed0.jpg.orig.jpg

Just copy everything except the last "orig.jpg"

Did that make any sense at all? It seems confusing, but it works.

Brad Bowers

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I hope to be making a visit there myself in a few months. I hope you have some time to give me a tour Art. I'll be like a kid in a candy shop.

regards fedoralover

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
OK OK OK

I upload my photo on the sony image station and eveything so far has worked...photos on COW, my avitar, the Optimo page..it is only this week that things have gone crooked.

I apologize to all, and if you don't see the photos send me your email and I will sentd them to you full size if you have DSL.

ANDYKEV

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Joseph and Brad figured out what the problem was. If you take the .orig.jpg out of the last part of your photo links before you post them, they'll show up for everybody.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
OK

I am very sorry to all. I wanted you to see such a great setup that Art has. He is very, very modest. He has lots of great stuff and more experience than I will ever have. That said. when you work with him , I hav suggested things he didn't know , and he has greatly informed me of MUCH that I don't know.

Folks, we all have our opinions, and the phrase "a little bit of knowledge is dangerous".

I can attest to the fact that Art is one of the most kind, knowledgable, and humble people I have ever met. He is a great,.wonderful resource, listener. and friend.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I should have said before, Thank you, Andykev, for the photos. And thank you Art, for letting him take them. It looks like a wonderful place, and what great hats and equipment.

Perhaps when it comes to time do my dissertation, I should pick the history of hats, instead of obscure shortline railroads. Then I could get a research grant to visit and learn from you all. :D

Wishing I could visit California again,

Brad Bowers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart