Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walking Sticks & Canes.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
For some time I have been assembling a small collection of cnes and walking sticks. My favorite is a Cold Steel City Stick. It's fiberglass and has a heavy polished steel head. I have no need to use a cane, but find that I like having a little extra support and maybe even a less than lethal weapon for self defense situations if the need arises.

elsewhere

Familiar Face
I find that I do have a need for a cane on occaision (car accident when I was much younger has resulted in bad knees).. but I've been unable to find one with any vintage charm.
The vintage ones I've come across are much like many vintage clothes for me-- too short for my tall frame.
Is there anyone making modern sized reproductions suitable for a gal?

kristine

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
first Welcome Kristine.....I have had a few canes over the years all of which seem to get stolen or lost.....I do enjoy carrying them out and about when I have one that fits my style......but they are hard to come by for me.....Kristine the easiest way to find one for your size is to make it....I am guessing you are quite tall.....find a cane that you really like and a friend who does woodworking......or I know there are shops out there that do woodworking special orders......my last cane had a nice hard paint coating on it.....as it chiped I was looking into replacing the shat with somthing a bit sturdiur but alas it to seeems to have gone the way of the dodo

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Others to consider?

Interesting. That Cold Steel City Stick looks like something I might need.
I, too, have no need for the support. But I do have need of something
to keep the aggressive dogs and cats away from my dog when I walk her.
I do carry pepper spray and wear steel toed boots It is pretty sad
to consider a state of affairs in which one cannot walk one's 75 lbs
dog without such protection. My dog has the scars to show it's true.
A cane might be just the thing.

Any other "urban" canes, light but strong, to consider? Or should
I just go get a Cold Steel City Stick? Anyone tried the Cold Steel
Walkabout wood cane? Hm, then again, my dog might chew it.
They make a pretty credible mace, too...

BTW, they seem to come in one size only?

Oh, and then there's always this cane for those with something to prove...
or the desire to give one's dog a very expensive chew toy...

http://www.cutlerytogo.com/bovwalstic.html

Michaelson

One Too Many
I have a sword cane that my son-in-law custom made for me. The base is an original Victorian sword base, black and laquered, with a newly turned brass head that has been engraved, and a new straight pull foot and a half long blade. Problem is, it's so nice, I rarely carry it on my walks. I just grab one of my old walking sticks when I head out the door. :rolleyes: Regards! Michaelson

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Feltfan

I guarantee you will like the City Stick. I assume you already researched it. It has a really good heavy head and the shaft is stronger than wood. It comes longish and I cut mine down to my size. The head or handle should come to the crease of your wrist while your arm is relaxed at your side. I took a couple inches off it and attached a rubber ferrule to the end. I paid around $45 for it. It's good enough for dress also. I don't know anything about the Walkabout, but I have a hickory walking stick I picked up at Cracker Barrel a few years back that does the trick on the ocassional stray dog. The City Stick will kill a dog outright if you were to hit one in the head with any force.

elsewhere

Familiar Face
I appreciate the suggestions very much, thanks :)
Right now I have, for emergencies only, a very plain and functional (read: no style) wooden cane. It has a standard curved top and a huge rubber stopper at the tip. Yuck.
I do know that I don't find the ball handles comfortable (such as on your handsome City Stick).. it must be curved or at least plateau at the handle.

I do have a friend, actually, that makes very stunning wood carved walking sticks. Really, truly lovely.. but not really in line with my preferred 40's/50's style. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for a vintage one that perhaps she could copy in my size....

Oh.. and thanks for the friendly welcome, Dr.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Embarrassing but...

I seldom carry a cane, but of the few I own my favorite is a wooden one - it's one of those extra-long wide-crooked jobs that the people who show hogs at the county fair use to prod their piggies...
The one I'd love to have is a glove cane. The head is a dog (usually a bulldog) with a functioning jaw that opens to hold a gentleman's gloves. The original victorian gadget cane glove holders usually fetch a price beyond my pocketbook.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I believe you've just convinced me to pick up the one I was talking about more often. I'll do more than just wack it over the head! :eek: Regards! Michaelson

Mycroft

One Too Many
I am a fan of tradtion swager stick from the Colonial Era through the 1890s. I think that a cool one would be Sherlock Holmes's hunting one in the Hounds of the Baskerville and an artilliary officers messuring stick like Alexander Hamilton had in the Revolutionary War.

JDCrockett

New in Town
Try these sources

Hi Folks! From a newbie who is fascinated, this is a great forum! My interests
include many shared with you all, altough I mainly started from the SASS(Cowboy Action Shooting) world. I love hats (since I can remember)
and vintage clothing. Anyway try these links for some neat canes/walking sticks
for all sorts of prices and styles.
http://www.houseofcanes.com/index.html

http://www.autofold.com/index.htm

http://www.walkingcanedepot.com/index.asp

http://www.britishaccents.com/britshoppe/

I found them while searching for an appropriate Victorian walking stick to round
out my "Dress Ball" evening attire that wouldn't cost a fortune.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Show us your...walking sticks!

I use this fine hickory walking stick. Unfortunately, I use it out of necessity--I just wouldn't even think of leaving the house with it. BUT, it looks mighty fine. I get many compliments on it. "That's a slick cane" I often hear.

I got it from a seller on eBay, goes by stick_with_character or Battleground Sticks. He's in Manasses Virginia, and he rescues saplings for his sticks from areas under development where he knows trees are about to be ploughed over. He engraves each stick. Each one is different and each has a different handle. This one has a heavy brass fire-poker handle--I can use it for self-defense if need be.

What do yours look like?

stick.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko