Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing of Hats Indoors

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
Hi all. I am pretty new here and have not seen this topic addressed. If it has been would someone let me know.

Being in the military we always remove out hats or caps indoors, unless bearing arms in performance of our duty. So, beside the obvious places like churches and such, should one remove thier hat/cap when entering buildings?

Try not to be too hard on this uninformed newbie. Thanks all.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Hi, Willi! I know your pain. Most of the folks here can't distinguish between military protocol and cvilian etiquette. I'm frequently asked to remove my hat at the PX or other places around base, often even as I am in the process of doing so. Having been military for 22 years and understanding the difference, I nonetheless resist the urge to bark at them since they are typically Marine spouses that have gotten jobs as clerks. Like the rest of the population, they've been taught nothing about etiquette and only know that Marine Corps protocol.

To answer your question, though, there are a few threads floating around that have covered this topic pretty well. A search in the hat forum using hat and etiquette will usually bring up a few, including this one, Hat-wearing etiquette, which sums it up pretty succinctly. A search on Emily Post in the hat forum will usually bring up a few, too.

Bartenders, perhaps this topic is a good idea for a sticky, since it recurs fairly frequently and is pretty basic to hat wearing? We could perhaps include the sections from Emily Post from a few key years, i.e. 1925, 1935, 1940, etc?

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
Mojave Jack said:
Hi, Willi! I know your pain. Most of the folks here can't distinguish between military protocol and cvilian etiquette. I'm frequently asked to remove my hat at the PX or other places around base, often even as I am in the process of doing so. Having been military for 22 years and understanding the difference, I nonetheless resist the urge to bark at them since they are typically Marine spouses that have gotten jobs as clerks. Like the rest of the population, they've been taught nothing about etiquette and only know that Marine Corps protocol.

To answer your question, though, there are a few threads floating around that have covered this topic pretty well. A search in the hat forum using hat and etiquette will usually bring up a few, including this one, Hat-wearing etiquette, which sums it up pretty succinctly. A search on Emily Post in the hat forum will usually bring up a few, too.

Bartenders, perhaps this topic is a good idea for a sticky, since it recurs fairly frequently and is pretty basic to hat wearing? We could perhaps include the sections from Emily Post from a few key years, i.e. 1925, 1935, 1940, etc?

I can relate to the PX experiences. I was at Parris Island and had just made it in and was asked by a DI to remove my cover. He was polite about it and I can see where in that type of training environment the DI's would not want any undue influences.

Thanks for the information there Jack. Etiquette was the one word I did not think of putting in the search.

I from the Old Corps in which we always removed our covers (hat/cap) before entering a building unless we were packing (under arms) a weapon at which time the cover had better stay on the Jar Head. Now days I wear a vintage hat and I may or may not take it off when in a building but I will never put it down or hang it somewhere. I make my own rules about how, when and where to wear my hat. Never been able to find out who started those rules anyway.

Wild Root

Gone Home
One can find books on etiquette from the 30's and 40's if one should look, it's pretty easy! One can find one at the local library I'm sure.

As for me, I take my hat off when entering a friend's home or work or dance. I do keep the hat on when shopping (look at any photos of department store shoppers in the 30's or 40's) I have also seen photos of men wearing their hats at lunch counters and outside burger stands. When eating at a diner (They had hat/coat racks then) they'd take off the hat and at upscale restaurants and clubs, they used to have hat/coat checks. I wish they still did!

Any way, taking off your hat should also be when you meet a lady, greeting a lady on the street or when being introduced to some one new. Oh, and don't forget church! Ladies can wear hats in church and every where else men usually shouldn't.

=WR=

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Well guys it may be brutish and ill mannered but I keep mine on all the time when I wear it.

I ride a motorcycle almost every day to work and the helmet does wonders for the hair. The helmet is what lead me to buying fedoras. I HATE doo rags. Ball caps are for playng ball and I'm not doing much of that these days.

I wanted a nice hat to cover my helmet head.

And for all you smart guys out there; it is not practical for me to a bring hair dryer and spray etc to work.

So if you see a guy indoors with his hat on check his boots.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Those of us with no hair should also receive dispensation. lol

I've paid silly amounts for a few of my hats, but that's chicken feed compared to a what good toupee would cost, and the hats look better than even the best toupee.

Wild Root

Gone Home
A trick.

Hair tonic... I put some on after I wash my hair... it's non sticky and non greasy... helps hair lay right. After taking a hat off or helmet, run a comb through it and it should stay put. No need to over obsess about hair and if it's been cut to a nice short length, it should be pretty simple to maintain.

I have worn my fedora indoors before to disguise my bad hair days... but, I find people look at me as if I have something to hide. So, now I just prep my hair and keep a comb on me which fits nicely in a shirt or rear pant pocket.

All the best,
=WR=

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I have adopted what I consider to be common-sense rules; I wear the hat in public spaces such as corridors and elevators, and remove it in private areas such as offices.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Your Military Training is right!!

YOU SHOULDNT WEAR A HAT WHERE YOU CANT SPIT. When you cross the threshold going in, you remove. When you cross the threshold going out, you put it on. Anything else, your on your own and be judged accordingly. Why do you wear a hat indoors?

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I make pastoral visits to homes, hospital rooms, etc. I'll wear the hat in the hospital hallway, lobby, and elevator, but remove it in the room, almost instinctually. Private homes are an automatic doff, but I often wear it in my office just cause I like it, removing it if someone comes in to talk to me. In MY home, I often wear them whenever I feel like it, indoors or out. Probably a bit barbarian, but, there you are!

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
Prairie Shade said:
YOU SHOULDNT WEAR A HAT WHERE YOU CANT SPIT. When you cross the threshold going in, you remove. When you cross the threshold going out, you put it on. Anything else, your on your own and be judged accordingly. Why do you wear a hat indoors?

My main question was when shopping and such. When wearing a fedora or that type of hat I have started to leave on since it frees my hands up. If wearing an Ivy that I can roll up, I will take it off since it does not get in the way too much.

In a restaurant I take it off and place it usually in a chair. Unfortunately, I have not found a place in Savannah or the surrounding area that have any hat racks, hooks, or any type of proper place to put a hat. Removing my hat at the table was ingrained looong ago and seeing guys sitting around in filthy "distressed" baseball caps really irks me.

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Military training is great...for the military

Prairie Shade said:
Why do you wear a hat indoors?

For one thing, briefcase in one hand and suitcase in the other. There is no reason to take a hat off indoors in a public place like an airport terminal, department store, office building. If your hands are already full, just leave it on your head, IMHO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo