Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing Suits to Lodge

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
I know from being a longtime reader and that I am not the only Mason here at the lounge. It is from my fellow Masons and anyone else who wishes to chime in that I seek advice.

I have moved down to the Florida panhandle from Michigan and have begun attending a lodge in Mobile, AL that I have a distant family connection to. (really cool story but not germane).

I have always worn a suit to lodge. I consider the Masonic lodge to be a sacred space, much like a church and as such I dress accordingly. This lodge that I am attending has no such convention. In fact, one of the officers performed his entire part for a degree in a Hooters T-Shirt. (Their degree work was excellent but I did find myself distracted by his attire.)

I have definately been made to feel quite welcome there and get along well with the members, but I have taken some freindly jabs regarding my manner of dress. Should I continue to dress to my comfort level or to theirs?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

While I'm not a lodge member, I DO have a suggestion based on several factors. First of all, you're in Mobile AL, where when considering the idea of going outside, you start to sweat. I would NEVER suggest wearing a Hooter's t-shirt in a professional setting unless you're a well endowed woman at work at Hooter's. I suggest that you "dress down" to khaki pants, a white shirt and a tie. You should only have to sweat a little bit for meetings. Since you're a relatively formal person (obviously) I wouldn't go all the way to loosing the tie though.

Just my $0.02 and worth both pennies.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
As a general principal I think you should dress to your comfort level when you are in a situation where doing so is sensible (i.e. not in a workplace which has anti suit and tie policies). If other people choose to dress more casually that is their decision (and loss if they end up looking like slobs) and I will always respect that, and in return I always expect them to accept the way I dress.

I think a suit is informal enough that one should be able to wear it at most social occaisions without having to feel one is making other uncomfortable. Formalwear (black tie, white tie or morning dress) is a different matter and is best worn when those around one are wearing it too. In your case, since you are in a warm climate, it may be a good solution to wear a light coloured linen suit which will look slightly more laid back and be more comfortable than a dark wool suit.

Last edited:

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Although I used to live in Michigan, I am a proud Virginian, I think a seersucker suit would be an excellent choice. I also would very much like a nice linen suit.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Although I used to live in Michigan, I am a proud Virginian, I think a seersucker suit would be an excellent choice. I also would very much like a nice linen suit.

Either option would probably be a good idea because you'll be more comfortable in the heat and wearing a slightly more casual suit which may make others feel more comfortable about the way you dress.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
If only I could convince my wife that seersucker suits do NOT make me look like the Ice Cream Man. (I mean really, he wears jeans a sleeveless flannel and drives a rusty van with faded pictures of ice cream on the side, how do I look like the ice cream man again?)

Canadian

One of the Regulars
I wear either a white, grey or blue suit to lodge.

Granted I live in the south of Canada, but there comes that inevitable moment where we run out of air in the Lodge hall and are forced to turn on some antiquated fans. They never work as designed and are often shut off for noise.

I would see nothing wrong with wearing seersucker. I do it often.

Thomas

Renault

One Too Many
The way it was explained to me in many of our rural lodges, was that most on the Brethern were farmers and ranchers. And before a stated meeting or degree ceremony there wasn't much time for many of the brethern to get home to clean up and get changed after chores and still get to lodge in time. Get the meeting done, and still get home in time to start to work in the early morning hours. I suppose the tratition stuck. There was also the thing that many of the early lodges here were out of doors until a 2-story school house was built. So the dressed for the occassion. Here folks do clean up now and wear decent attire. No tee shirts and shorts. Stuff that would fit in at church, but generally no tie. Lodge where I did my degrees was chartered in 1852. Still met in an old 2 story school house. Matter of fact my dad was born in the anteroom of the old lodge in his hometown. It was one of the only buildings in town, and it was also an old school house.

Renault

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
The way it was explained to me in many of our rural lodges, was that most on the Brethern were farmers and ranchers. And before a stated meeting or degree ceremony there wasn't much time for many of the brethern to get home to clean up and get changed after chores and still get to lodge in time. Get the meeting done, and still get home in time to start to work in the early morning hours. I suppose the tratition stuck.

Such was not the case with this lodge. My great (x3) uncle was involved in building a shipyard for US Steel near Mobile, AL in 1917, as a part of the shipyard project, an entire company town was built. My uncle and several other Freemasons from the project and Mobile itself, took it upon themselves to establish a Masonic lodge for the community they just built. Acomadations for the lodge were built into the shipyard facilities and used until the building was destroyed by a tornado. Photos of the lodge and its members throughout its history have shown them to be wearing suits. The casual nature of the attire of this lodge is more of a modern phenomenon.

Last edited:

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Seersucker suits are classic in the south, and I consider them a southern necessity. I would buy a couple of linen suits as well. If they are ribbing you on the suit, just be witty and funny in a retort.

My wife and I recently joined a new shul (synagogue), and I was introduced to a man in a shabby, wrinkled, un-tucked button down shirt, slightly dirty jeans, and van shoes with no socks (the shoes had holes in them as well). He was introduced as the worst dressed, best attorney in town (I live in the Twin Cities). The attorney took the razzing with style and had a witty, friendly, self-deprecating, retort (of course I don't remember). All the banter was friendly and immediately made me feel at home.

I would keep dressing nice. Sometimes, well, 99% of the time, when I go out with friends, I'm the best dressed person there. My friends tease me a little, but they love it (the way I dress). I've noticed that since I've begun to associate with them in a more friendly non-professional environment, they seem to actually respect me more, partly because I take care to dress nice.

plain old dave

A-List Customer
While I will not comment on Masonic philosophy, I will say this: My fairly extensive experience in the TN Lodge (Scottish Rite, mostly, with some York Rite) is that Business Casual seems to be accepted, with little if any mention made if a man were to wear business attire. PM me for more details.

flyfishark

Practically Family
Gee, I have no idea..."come as you are" seems to be the Knights of Columbus attitude. But then, we have no carpenter's aprons to put over our clothing, either.

Hereward

One of the Regulars
In England a dark lounge suit would be the minimum requirement. My visits to American lodges have been the cause of much confusion and jollity from both sides over the years. Sometimes the similarities just run out.

Gloucestre

New in Town
Gday all, thought I'd throw in a very Southern perspective.
I am from Qld in Australia, we typically wear "dinner"' dress for our meetings, essentially a tuxedo in winter and a white Eton jacket in summer, dark suit and tie being a minimum.
We dress that way based on the idea that within the Lodge we are all equal regardless of station and this is the most practical way to accomplish that ideal.
G

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Here in Rhode Island, we wear suits and ties (line officers are required to wear tuxedos). There is a lodge in nearby Massachusetts that doesn't have the same dress code and once, one of our guys met one if theirs, invited them to our meeting, etc. and, next thing you know, we had a guy sitting in our lodge wearing shorts and sandals. It was akward for him. We often say "We are gentlemen, and we dress like gentlemen!"

I think you should just answer their comments with "Well, the lodge where I was raised had a jacket and tie dress code, so I stick with it."

I know my opinion can't even get you a cup of coffee but, I think you should stick with your jacket and tie!

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Brothers, and fellow members of the lounge,
Thank you for your replies, I managed to talk my wife into letting me buy a couple new suits. I did manage to find a three piece linen suit and a lightweight tropical wool in a blue grey herringbone with subtle pinstriping. (at the tailors, will post when finished) Should expand my wardrobe considerably. I still cannot get my wife to stop referring to seersucker as an "ice cream suit" Oh well...
Now I need to explain to her that I need to send panama bob $300+ for a new hat.

adouglasmhor

Familiar Face
My first black tie do was at the lodge, I wore a vintage tail suit because that was all I could find in my size at a thrift shop after hours of searching. I got loads of compliments but I am still not sure if I was being ribbed about it or not even now 30 years later.
I was/am a Lewis so I got cut some slack but not much, Dark suit, shirt and tie at minimum at all times.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
My first black tie do was at the lodge, I wore a vintage tail suit because that was all I could find in my size at a thrift shop after hours of searching. I got loads of compliments but I am still not sure if I was being ribbed about it or not even now 30 years later.
I was/am a Lewis so I got cut some slack but not much, Dark suit, shirt and tie at minimum at all times.

My mother lodge is much the same. Black tie is required for the officers on degree nights and strongly encouraged for members as well. Business meetings are suits for officers and buisiness casual (Suits strongly encouraged, no jeans, shorts, t-shirts or open toed shoes allowed) for members. Visitors are permitted to wear what they like but are likely to recieve "good counsel whispered in their ear" reguarding what our lodge considers proper attire.
We have had several events where the members elected to change the dress code. At one point the air conditioning in our lodgeroom brokedown, my mother lodge has been blessed with such an abundance of work that cancelling the degree work would have been disastrous. The Master suggested a vintage hawaiian shirt degree night. The lodge voted to support it and much fun was had by all. The master even sported a very fine Panama Hat for the occasion.

Canadian

One of the Regulars
Mostly the men in my lodge wear black, off-black or grey suits. Our DDGM wears bespoke, but most of us thrift or get from MW. I am lucky enough that a suit bought on Ebay has a good change of fitting me to the point that it requires minimal alternations.

That said, I'm joining Scottish Rite and they require either "tuxedoes" although my mentor wears a kilt with a black blazer (if there is such an animal).

I sometimes wear white to Lodge, and as Junior Steward it makes sense (I help with festive board frequently) but I've been told to either wear a completely white suit or not at all, because a white cotton blazer is easy to mistake for a DJ.

We most importantly do not outdress the Worshipful Master. I have 4 DJs in the closet, but only wear them for special parties. And yes, even in Southern Alberta it gets very hot in the Lodge hall.

Thomas

Fortitudo

New in Town
I have always worn a suit to lodge. I consider the Masonic lodge to be a sacred space, much like a church and as such I dress accordingly. This lodge that I am attending has no such convention. In fact, one of the officers performed his entire part for a degree in a Hooters T-Shirt. (Their degree work was excellent but I did find myself distracted by his attire.)

I for one consider anything less than a suit to be disrespectful to our brethren and our traditions and heritage. The master should have never let a brother wearing a Hooters shirt in the lodge. A lodge meeting should demand the utmost respect and dignity that our ancient craft deserves. Anything less and you might as well join the circus.

I applaud you Brother for sticking to your guns!

POTS,
Greg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner