Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
mike said:
This is a very cool look! I really like the 30's working casual look a lot! I also think the idea of mixing 30's work wear styles with fedoras is a great look that you don't see today.

Cheers, Mike!
You and I both have a fascination for this look. There's something about pairing a handsome '30s (style) jacket with trousers and a fedora that looks ruggedly manly yet elegant at the same time.

1930s-2.jpg

AA214-2.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman said:
Went to Delaware today with some friends

IMG_0793.jpg

[Doth continues Dinerman...;) ]
And it wasn't until later, when looking at the photo, that I noticed this lovely young lady walking behind me was so utterly stunned by my fantastic outfit and hat, that she tripped and fell to the ground, completely dumbfounded and awestruck by my style and class...Had I only known at the time...:rolleyes:

(Sorry...couldn't resist!)

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
^Perhaps I was a bit harsh. I applaud the effort, but perhaps consider a less wild shirt with the waistcoat? And if you're willing to spend a few more pounds, I'm sure you could find some button on braces. :)

brendon

Familiar Face
cufflinkmaniac said:
^Perhaps I was a bit harsh. I applaud the effort, but perhaps consider a less wild shirt with the waistcoat? And if you're willing to spend a few more pounds, I'm sure you could find some button on braces. :)
thanks fore kind words more than i got on sf as for the braces i was wearing jeans and i dont think button on braces work with them if i was wearing troursers i would have worn my button on ones.

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
draws said:
I am heading to the stables today since the temperature is in the 50s. I am wearing a recently purchased pair of pre-WWII US Army officer's pinks fall front breeches. These are an unusually large size 36 Long and fit perfectly. I will post a photo of the mfg label later today.
Lovely breeches

I wear breeches on a regular basis, so its always good to see some more
Tank you for posting
Regards
RBH

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
This is what I'm wearing today:
Just completed another pair of '34 wide leg trousers in gray wool from the EvaDress pattern
Self-made shirt
Vintage collar
Snap links
Handwoven (not by me) wool tie
Sweater vest
DSC09035.jpg

This is what I wore New Year's Day. I went with my department head and several other postgrads to the Peak District in Derbyshire to the place which the Green Chapel in the Middle English poem 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight' is based on. The area has many place names which are in the poem, and legends of a green giant and a headless man which were known to folklorists, but the connection and mapping the poem onto the landscape has happened only fairly recently.

It was fairly chill out (-2 C). Back home I have all kinds of good winter gear, but I just had to bundle up as best I could here, though it wasn't that cold out. A thermos of hot coffee and a copy of the poem in my backpack :) (Which I ended up not needing, because Richard read out the Middle English at various points along the hike.

n503058767_1245626_447-Copy.jpg

At the entrance to the Green Chapel
n503058767_1245639_5101.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Lud's Church. One of my favourite 'sleeping out' spots. A spell-binding story goes with the place as I'm sure your tutor in the photograph is explaining...and there used to be feral wallabies living nearby.

It's not definitely the Green Chapel in the poem, by the way. AFAIK it was a lecturer at Keele University (no comment there, then) who made the link in a series of (reputation-furthering?) academic papers. Lud's Church is certainly local to the monastery where the poem was probably written (Dieulacresse) but, alas, it doesn't fit the description in the poem - as I'm sure your tutor pointed out.

There may be some doubt about the association, but when you recite the poem in Lud's Church - particularly by a camp fire on a dark and stormy night - the alliterative Middle English makes you want to believe!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
It's certainly open to further interpretation and study. It does look 'a crevice of an old crag', though. He could not say for certain :)

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Nick D said:
It's certainly open to further interpretation and study. It does look 'a crevice of an old crag', though. He could not say for certain :)

Nick,

That's the phrase about which scholars discurse (or just curse..). The 'crevice' bit speaks for itself - it's the 'crag' reference that sets the problem, as Lud's Church is a rocky (OK, craggy) ravine, but just appears in the ground (walkers used to fall into it while looking for it before "elf 'n safety" put up fences) rather than being in 'an old crag' (which seems to imply a rocky eminence).

Anyway, the association with the Lollards and with early 19th C religious and trade associations (and with tragedy) make it a special enough place, IMO. I hope you enjoyed your day there.

Pip

A-List Customer
I believe its actually a 1970's one, came off ebay for about £20.

If you search for "leather safari jacket" then you should get a fair few results.

Thanks though :D

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am completely in love with the dress I wore to a friend's wedding on NYE (me in the middle). Seems to be a 50's-era handmade dress, and just check out that fanned-out pleating detail on the side. Unfortunately the zipper broke as I was zipping it to pack the next morning.

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy