Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

Jubelale 2012. Out of the world's most awesome growler.

Like this?:
growler.jpg

anon`

One Too Many
What is that glass container called? And what is it good for? Do you decant beer into it, and if so, does it keep it bubbly?
They're usually called growlers, though they may have some other names that I'm not aware of. They're not good conditioning vessels, but they will keep chilled beer fresh and carbonated for at least a few days. I've heard some people claim as long as three weeks, but I never wait around to find out. Typically, you bring one to your favourite brewery or brewpub and have them filled from the tap, for take-out draught beer service. The cost of a fill is ridiculously low, usually between $10 and $15 in my experience.

Nice! How much does it hold?
About half a gallon. I've never seen a growler that wasn't around that mark, but they come in both 64 ounce and two litre varieties. This one has a mark at 2L.

Do Oregon laws only let you get a growler filled if the brewery's name is on the growler?
Not to my knowledge. I know I've seen Ninkasi growlers being filled at Oakshire before. The relevant statutes appear to be ORS 471.175(7) and 471.178(3), which provide in relevant part that that "The holder of a . . . sales license may sell malt beverages for consumption off the licensed premises in securely covered containers provided by the purchaser. Containers that hold beverages sold under this subsection may not hold more than two gallons."

Last edited:
They're usually called growlers, though they may have some other names that I'm not aware of. They're not good conditioning vessels, but they will keep chilled beer fresh and carbonated for at least a few days. I've heard some people claim as long as three weeks, but I never wait around to find out. Typically, you bring one to your favourite brewery or brewpub and have them filled from the tap, for take-out draught beer service. The cost of a fill is ridiculously low, usually between $10 and $15 in my experience.

About half a gallon. I've never seen a growler that wasn't around that mark, but they come in both 64 ounce and two litre varieties. This one has a mark at 2L.

Not to my knowledge. I know I've seen Ninkasi growlers being filled at Oakshire before. The relevant statutes appear to be ORS 471.175(7) and 471.178(3), which provide in relevant part that that "The holder of a . . . sales license may sell malt beverages for consumption off the licensed premises in securely covered containers provided by the purchaser. Containers that hold beverages sold under this subsection may not hold more than two gallons."

How about getting a keg filled then? :p

Two gallons, my friend! But see ORS 471.200(1)(c) (permitting the holder of a brewery-public house license to sell malt beverages in brewery-sealed packages directly to the consumer for consumption off the premises).

Well, you know I have a bar in the back. That should qualify as a public house. :p
Ok, ok.:p I have to dig out a large bottle of beer from the fridge for my cigar gathering tonight. :p I forget what I have in there but we'll see. :D

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Speaking of distilling orange juice, here's my sad experience. When in junior high school, or high school, a neighbor friend of mine thought he knew how to make a still with a pressure cooker, so I was willing to hide it in my room at my house. First we had to ferment something to distill. So we tried a) orange juice; b) grape juice; and c) potatoes (for vodka). Unable to use large containers, we opted for liter-sized soda bottles with screw tops. Long story short, none of it fermented well. The orange juice was probably too acid to ferment; it just turned sour and disgusting. Grape juice probably had perservatives in it to kill the yeast; it also turned sour. The potatoes were just disgusting. The OJ did, however, eventually start to work, and the liquid bowed out the aluminum bottle twist tops. Opening the bottles after a few weeks, it made a nozzle of disgusting liquid that squirted all over the walls and ceiling. Finally we had a few bottles to distill in the pressure cooker, complete with copper tubing. We distilled it overnight. Out came super-powerful, super-sour something that was probably greater than 50 proof. I drank some; my friend drank more; it gave a big kick but was disgusting. So the moral of the story is, don't try to ferment and distill orange juice.

anon`

One Too Many
Thanks for the reminder!
It is cold and wet here.
I had some 2009 Jubelale downstairs.

Womderful!!!
You're welcome! Cold and wet here, too.

Drove up to Portland with SWMBO yesterday. Toured Eastside Distilling, drank some great rum, came home with a bottle of their coffee rum, as well as a bottle of "Holiday Spice Liqueur." Sort of a cross between pimento dram and bourbon.

Then we scooted over to Deschutes Portland Brewery. Whirlwind of pints! Rhinelander Altbier! Bière de Garde! Fresh Hop Porter and Deschutes River Ale. Hop Trip and Chasin' Freshies. And to cap it all off? Black Butte XXIV. Fileld the growler with Fresh Hop Porter. I expect to be drinking that tonight...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24