Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you give?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My girlfriend's stepmom is 82 and not doing too well lately. She has painful spinal condition, and she's had some ministrokes, which have given her aphasia: she can't complete a sentence because the words just won't come. Very frustrating for her. So I decided she might enjoy a Christmas stocking. I got a nice stocking in the store with penguins all over it, and a bunch of inexpensive stocking stuffers. We gave it to her yesterday afternoon and she was delighted. It was the highlight of my holiday.
So, as a companion to the "What did you get?" thread, what did you GIVE this holiday season that was a big hit with the recipient?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Most enthusiastic reception came from the cat, who got an extra fun cat toy I call the "fishbirdmouse" as it combines the appearance of all three. You yo yo it around the floor on a cord or tie it to a doorknob and yeeoww!! it's wrasslin' and bitin' time.

Everyone liked my gifts this year, but kitty is the only one to actually go wild over any of 'em.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Amongst her many other woes...my mother has carpel tunnel syndrome. But she loves crocheting and it keeps her busy while on disability.

So I found her a set of ergonomic handles with interchangeable size hook ends.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
My nepehew loved his gift. I got him the Playmobile take along castle. It took for ever to put together. I also got him a Ben10 DVD which we can watch together unlike some of the cartoons he likes.

I got my mother a cell phone and a Dolly Parton ticket. She was very happy.

I got my sister A retro cocktail hat from Urban Outfitters, A bunch of amazing art deco and Art Nouveau style brass jewelry findings, Harry Potter and The order of The Phoenix and Stardust on DVD.

nyx

One of the Regulars
I gave my neice a learning laptop for kids. She liked it, but then she pulled out the bubble wrap that was protecting the screen and shouted, "Bubblewrap! My favorite!" So there you go. Best gift this year: bubblewrap. lol

Hondo

One Too Many
First I got a nice pocket watch from my gal, I gave her peach scented bath/shower soaps/sprays, body butter (you ladies know what that is)
And a gem bracelet, this sexy little leopard print dress, Thats it!
On to her birthday in February :rolleyes:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I gave:

my Dad Flags of Our Fathers

my brother got a four-movie (all on one DVD) set of some of John Wayne's WW2 movies

second season of Hogan's Heroes, Die Hard trilogy, and Indiana Jones' collector's plate for hubby

for my daughter I got a huge white stuffed tiger (well, Santa actually got that for her), some tiger slippers (she's a huge animal fan and even at the age of 7, she says that eating meat isn't right because it's not nice to eat animals), and Scooby Doo Matchbox cars

my mom slippers, scented candles, and earrings

my grandmother The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

my stepson a Playstation 3 race car game, Fast and Furious movie, and some floor mats for his car

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I tried to buy more vintage than new this year (but I didn't). I bought a huge 1950s-1960s painting for one, that was probably my favorite purchase, and it was bought on Christmas Eve. Then I bought vintage decanters & souvenir trays, some kitchen things, I bought a new grey pashmina-type shawl, a Disney Couture (Mickey Mouse) tote, a leopard-print handbag by Ralph Lauren, a couple of backpacks, paint supplies, a cute cami & drawers set for my 10 y/o cousin, I had family photos made for some. And sweatshirts.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I gave to:

My Mom - an original painting of Texas Blue Bonnets

My Ex - two framed prints, one oil on canvas, a watch, acorn slippers, a fuzzy critter, candy

My Daughter - three Webkinz, acorn slippers, fuzzy boots, a Barbie watch by Fossil, two shadow boxes, candy

My Daughter-of-the-heart - sailor pants, a turtleneck sweater, acorn slippers, scarf and gloves, Rodney the Reindeer, candy

My Son - Moccasins, acorn slippers, red slipper socks, new flannel sheets, a webkinz (gag), a 1940's Erector Set, gloves, a ski cap, candy

Molly McButter - a new dog bed

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I wasn't able to give much this year for financial reasons, and kept the presents to just my closest family and friends -- but as I always do I tried to make the gifts the sorts of things that really fit the recipient's personality. Probably the best-received presents this year were a movie poster for my best friend, from a film she really enjoyed, and a 60-minute phone card for my mother -- who, whenever she calls me about anything, always prefaces her remarks with "I gotta make this quick because I ain't got many minutes left." In both cases, the presents were much appreciated.

$ally

One Too Many
Well, the gifts I gave that were the most satisfying were a VERY difficult to find book my son had wanted. I had to do some serious hunting, it was rare. He was so happy.
I also gave the ex-beau something I'd put together for him in October. At that time I was planning to add more to it for one of his Christmas gifts. It was a nice peace offering as I'd been rightfully avoiding all contact with him since then. Seems to have given him some closure too.

Hondo

One Too Many
Its the thought that counts

It isn’t so much the monetary value, it’s the thought that counts,
a lesson all children should remember.
Times can be tough on all of us; I don’t necessary give even Xmas cards out but felt different for this year.
Maybe I go back to being scrooge next time lol

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I just exchange gifts with my husband since he's the only family I really have locally (my family buggered off to North Carolina and his family is in jolly ole England!)

Hegot me the iPod Nano so I got him the same $$$ amount of WW2 military memoribilia.

Josephine

One Too Many
I baked my mom some of her favorite cookies, and I gave hubby Star Wars postage stamps. My grandmother really likes Hello Kitty, so I got her some Hello Kitty writing paper and pencils, as at 87 she really doesn't need more "stuff" as she says. The present that had the best giving/receiving ratio was a handful of napkins I got from work that I gave my friends that have a vintage red diner napkin dispenser (I did tie them up in a very nice gold ribbon :) ). They could not find napkins to fit the dispenser ANYWHERE, apparently, and were over the moon when I gave them the napkins. I'm planning on actually buying a pack or two from my boss before my last day there (Jan 11).

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My sister loved the Mary Kay perfume and sold-out body lotion I knew she would like. My brother-in-law flipped over the stemless crystal red wine glasses. My guy friend went ga-ga over the men's cologne set that smells so good. My mom went wild over the cool jacket I found for her at the Salvation Army thrift store. Hubby wants an expensive Oakley wallet so I'll order that for to be in time when he gets stateside. And my step-grandnephews liked the camouflage toothbrushes I picked up for them at the PX.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I got my wife two place settings of Fiesta ware, a bottle of her favorite perfume, some candy, and a book.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Hmm...

My dad, the original Irritable Driver, got a GPS. Now I have to teach him to use it.

The cat, who is bored by most cat toys, got a toy she seems to love. Anyway, she's attacked it with great gusto about twice in 24 hours.

Some disadvantaged person is getting a swell brown nappa leather trench coat with a pile liner, which cost me $60 on eBay and then didn't fit.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Why I am blessed.

Miss Brill said:
I wish I was your Daughter-of-the-heart! lol

This young lady came to live with us her senior year in high school. Her father was/is a convicted child molester and her mother is a complete nut case. No need to say the kids in this train wreck didn't have a pleasant life.

She is now a senior in college and ours is her home of choice. No, I'm not her father but I try to be the Dad she never had. I only wish I was better at it.

She and her two brothers went to court in early December to testify against their father. He received another prison sentence. This time he got ten years. Her mother? She has a husband who has spent most of his life incarcerated and has completely alienated her children. For her I feel pity.

Every year, when I'm asked what I want for Christmas, I have the same answer. I'd like for every child on God's green earth to have a bed, a warm meal, a roof over their head, someone to love, cherish, and protect them, and a peaceful future.

Beyond that, way beyond that, music from the 20's and 30's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24