Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you look like?

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Airfrogusmc, sadly, the guys in the picture with me are but a memory.
After I left Omaha I lost touch with most of my friends who shared my younger days. The only one I have heard of lately, is the guy on the right (with the silk scarf). He has been in poor health.
As to my days in the Corps, they amounted to just two years. They were offering a limited two year enlistment at the time, so I thought I would give it a try. I guess I am a little too much of an independent person to be told what to do at all times, so at the end of my two years I was discharged. Not that they didn't throw some enticements my way,but I left anyway.
I still consider myself a "former Marine" and am proud of my time in the service.

Marc, as to my "smile", it really isn't so much of a smile as it is a look of pride. Not everyone can feel what it is like to don the dress blues. Just a few.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Captain said:
After I left Omaha I lost touch with most of my friends who shared my younger days. The only one I have heard of lately, is the guy on the right (with the silk scarf). He has been in poor health.
As to my days in the Corps, they amounted to just two years. They were offering a limited two year enlistment at the time, so I thought I would give it a try. I guess I am a little too much of an independent person to be told what to do at all times, so at the end of my two years I was discharged. Not that they didn't throw some enticements my way,but I left anyway.
I still consider myself a "former Marine" and am proud of my time in the service.

Marc, as to my "smile", it really isn't so much of a smile as it is a look of pride. Not everyone can feel what it is like to don the dress blues. Just a few.

Captain, I'm pretty sure there is no such person, once a Marine always a Marine. Thank you for the two years you were active. OO-RAH!!

dean

The Captain

One of the Regulars
deanglen said:
Captain, I'm pretty sure there is no such person, once a marine always a marine. Thank you for the two years you were active. OO-RAH!!

dean

Dean, you are right. The Corps instilled in me a feeling of self-reliance that has lasted me a lifetime. My wife (44 years in November) was always amazed that I was so "squared away". She figured guys were messy and she would have to clean up behind me. Never happened.
My time in the Corps prepared me for a career in the fire service, too. It was a semi-military job and I retired after twenty-five years.
Thanks, Deano!

deanglen

Captain, forgive me for not putting a capital "m" on Marine in my previous post, I really felt bad when I noticed it, so I edited it, then I realized, it's Marines themselves that put the captial on the title. You're welcome to the gratitude. You earned it. For life!

dean

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Recent pic of yours truly in a new (to me) suit. The slow weight loss continues...

newsuit1.jpg

airfrogusmc

Suspended
The Captain said:

Capt, I lost touch with most of my old friends. Funny how life can do that. I've got a very good friend (since 5th grade) that I keep up with. Actually he enlisted in the Corps to. About 3 months after I did.

My MOS was a min of 4 years. My first year was almost all schools.

Nothin like dress blues and because of how hard it is to earn the right to wear them is something that bonds Marines together for life. We started bootcamp with 82 and graduated with 56.

Semper Fi

deanglen

airfrogusmc said:
Capt, I lost touch with most of my old friends. Funny how life can do that. I've got a very good friend (since 5th grade) that I keep up with. Actually he enlisted in the Corps to. About 3 months after I did.

My MOS was a min of 4 years. My first year was almost all schools.

Nothin like dress blues and because of how hard it is to earn the right to wear them is something that bonds Marines together for life. We started bootcamp with 82 and graduated with 56.

Semper Fi

My thanks to you for your service, too, airfrogusmc. Marines made it possible for my calling to be pursued in peace, and war.

dean

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
The Captain said:
Too true! I think I was too scared to smile in my boot camp photo, though! When we had our photos taken (1984) we weren't allowed to touch anything. Our DIs thrashed us good and hard in one of MCRD's infamous pits, then marched us into the studio for our photos, filthy dirty and sweating! They put the blues tunic on us like a straight jacket (it tied in the back and only went to the waist!) then put the cover on our heads for us. You can tell eveyone in my company that wore the same size cover as I wore, because in every one of our pictures, the EGA is turned slighly to the side. :rage: As a result I have no boot camp pictures, though I think now I can fix it with Photoshop or something.

The Captain

One of the Regulars
A Few Good Men

Mojave Jack, thanks for your little essay on having your picture taken in the blues. My story mimics yours except for the "filthy dirty and sweating" part. :) When I went back home on my first leave I took along a complete set of dress blues (courtesy of a friend) and never bought a beer for the week I was back there. Seems that everyone wanted to buy me a cold one when I was in uniform. If you have any pictures of you in uniform go ahead and post them, Photoshoped or not. I would like to see them.

Semper Fi

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
The Captain said:
Mojave Jack, thanks for your little essay on having your picture taken in the blues. My story mimics yours except for the "filthy dirty and sweating" part. :) When I went back home on my first leave I took along a complete set of dress blues (courtesy of a friend) and never bought a beer for the week I was back there. Seems that everyone wanted to buy me a cold one when I was in uniform. If you have any pictures of you in uniform go ahead and post them, Photoshoped or not. I would like to see them.

Semper Fi
Thanks, Cap'n! I left a lot of that stuff at my dad's for lack of storage, but I've asked him send me one of those prints. I have every single one of those prints because I was too embarassed to give them out with the cover device skewed. I'm going to scan in a large one and fix the emblem or have someone do it for me. There is one shot earlier in this thread of me in my Charlies, waiting for an inspection, but I'll try to hunt up some other photos tonight of one of the birthday balls or something.

In the meantime, here's my first set of blues!
John18months.jpg

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
The Captain said:
Here is one of me (stripped shirt, in the middle) and some of my friends, back in Omaha, Nebraska. Does 1953 count as "vintage?"

61495721.OurGangOmaha53.jpg

My avatar is me four years later in the Marine Corps.

you and your "boys". you should be singing tunes from West Side Story!

lara

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto