Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you NOT Want for Christmas?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
No more nick-nacks. I have a drawer full.

No more bath stuff. I don't sit in the bathtub and these gifts just make me wonder: is someone trying to tell me something?

No more substitute gifts. For example, someone couldn't find a food processor, so they get a K-Tel food chopper.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
No obvious re-gifts. Last few years I've gotten any number of things from relatives (my sister especially) with price stickers still evident from mall and discount stores that have been out of business for a while now. When you can't even peel off the sticker from "Everything Is A Dollar" before giving the re-gift, you just ain't tryin'.

MinnieRose

Familiar Face
I busted up laughing when I read about 'substitution' gifts. We are not picky; we know what we like! There IS a difference! ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
More socks. I have argyles coming out the proverbial giggy.

More unasked-for reproduction anythings. I have quite enough Lindbergh sun glasses with no nose cushions, cheap$#!! cassette-eating Crosley radios, and Parker fountain pens with superfat nibs fit only for signing stock certificates.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Art supplies.

"Youre an artist, right, I saw this 'art kit set' and thought you would like it."

Yes, a $5 art kit with waxy crayons, bristle brushes, and horrid watercolor bricks. Come on people. Seriously.

Seriously.
LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ditto what Paisley said. No more nick knacks! My family tends to really like giving them to me for some reason. :eusa_doh: I think I may have finally converted them to books and dvds instead

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I've lost track of how many of those K-Tel food choppers I've given to Goodwill. :eek:

I've often included the receipt with gifts I give and tell the recipient that if they don't like the gift, please return it and get something they do like. I do put a lot of thought into gifts, but even so, I'm off sometimes.

Shimmy Sally

Paisley said:
No more substitute gifts. For example, someone couldn't find a food processor, so they get a K-Tel food chopper.
Exactly! Then you have to jusitify buying the item you really want, because you have a half-asp substitute.
No obligatory gifts. Anyone one who doesn't celebrate a holiday, or care about the gift-giving part, should just say so. Forced giving defeats the purpose, as does greedy receiving.

Elaina

One Too Many
To be forgotten...

Well, everyone forgets me at the holidays. I usually get a call on the 24th, about 9 with my mom going "Oh my god! I'm so sorry! I'm sending you $50 on the 26th! I totally fogot to get you anything!" (Although my mom IS making me an apron from the 1920's with embroidery, but *I* have to make the apron so she can do the hand work). My brother doesn't know me well enough, so I USUALLY get some generci gift his wife who hates me finds somewhere.

Other then that, my husband gives me money too. So maybe I should just put, I don't want money?

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Ditto on the art supplies.

And books, I love to read so any dribble off the discount, dollar rack will do? Poorly written and researched history books. Or, maybe some day I will learn to knit!?:confused:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Pots, pans. Sort of like the artist kit thing. "I know you like to cook so I got this non-stick pan from Walmart."

"Oooohhh, thanks. I'll hang it up where I was saving space for the french copper pan with the tinned lining..."

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
No more money, please. How many bits of paper with pictures of Grant and Franklin does one need?

I see our mutual friend just released a cure today for that paper problem..........:D

http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Jade.html

PF1901sm.jpg

olive bleu

One Too Many
Please, if you are reading this, MOTHER...No more little earrings with kittens or dolphins.And no more nightshirts with Teddy Bears:eek:

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
I wouldn't send you such a vulgar gift. Think of the germs all over those bills.

No problem. I know a guy that launders money. You just give it to him your dirty bills, and a week or so later he gives you back clean ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy