Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you NOT Want for Christmas?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Where's the cake?

For years my dad would order www.claxtonfruitcake.com for our church fundraiser. He loved them. Good. No one else did. Haven't seen a red and white striped box in years, our church closed and we started going to one that sold poinsettias (which he also ordered). Snif. Miss my dad.
I don't want a gift card to JC Penney, I hate that store AND their online catalog. I have received more uncashable gift cards from that store than people who LIKE that store.

BegintheBeguine

jamespowers said:
Doorstoppers?:p
I need a doorstopper! Only one. One of my kitchen doors (remember that thread?) swings and a long ago dog wee'd on the hardware so much it disintegrated; it doesn't stay open or shut, just stays ajar. Why not get it repaired, you say? Who would do it, can't find the hardware, probably costs a lot of money, it's been whis way 20 years etc. The rubber wedge works for a short while and then it decides it wants to slither away somewhere else. A bulldog-shaped doorstop should do nicely, I think. :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
BegintheBeguine said:
I need a doorstopper! Only one. One of my kitchen doors (remember that thread?) swings and a long ago dog wee'd on the hardware so much it disintegrated; it doesn't stay open or shut, just stays ajar. Why not get it repaired, you say? Who would do it, can't find the hardware, probably costs a lot of money, it's been whis way 20 years etc. The rubber wedge works for a short while and then it decides it wants to slither away somewhere else. A bulldog-shaped doorstop should do nicely, I think. :)

Just go get a really pretty and interesting rock with a somewhat flattish bottom....spray it with matte varnish stuff...if you really want, add a felt bit to the bottom..but that tends to make it slide if the rock is too light

viola...

Ok...maybe that just makes me cheap...but we have several of these at my house..

BegintheBeguine said:

Use the fruitcake. It will last forever and it won't slither away at all. :p ;)

Regards,

J

Mike in Seattle

I've been snickering and laughing at all the wonderful posts on this topic, especially the flimsy cookware for those who like to cook. (Do you also have to explain over & over why pots & pans should have metal, not plastic handles?)

Last year and this, I have prayed (and prayed hard) that nobody gets it in their silly heads to buy one of those chocolate fountain things. One of the most idiotic gift ideas - you decide to have a party and why just make a little fondue pot of melted chocolate to dip pieces of fruit & cake in when you can instead get this behemoth that you probably needs at least 2 lbs. of chocolate it to run properly. And how in the world does one clean something like that out? They're down to about $30 this year and since friends & relatives know I like to cook and we have at least one big party each quarter, I literally shaking in my boots. I know the weight & dimensions of the box and so far, the few items we've received early have been the "wrong" size.

I've told Paul already that if one shows up in this house for the holidays, I will break my long-standing rule of NEVER going to the mall or whatever store to return something during the first week after Christmas. I'll be up & out of the house about 6 am on the day after Christmas to cash in that sucker.

Mike in Seattle

BegintheBeguine said:
For years my dad would order www.claxtonfruitcake.com for our church fundraiser. He loved them. Good. No one else did. Haven't seen a red and white striped box in years, our church closed and we started going to one that sold poinsettias (which he also ordered). Snif. Miss my dad.
I don't want a gift card to JC Penney, I hate that store AND their online catalog. I have received more uncashable gift cards from that store than people who LIKE that store.

Go cash in the cards, or use them to buy gifts for others. Cash cards - the great way to make a no-interest loan to a giant corporation that becomes a gift to them when you misplace the card. And if you buy mall cash cards - at least with Westfield - they charge you a monthly service charge just for the pleasure of the gift recipient carrying them around in their pocket and not rushing into spending them.

MinnieRose

Familiar Face
I laughed about the chocolate fountain, Mike! I have seen these out, too, and wondered who in their right mind would buy one. My sister said buy one to rent out, but I am fairly certain that a $30 fountain is nothing like a commercial one for larger receptions. I mean, even for the most serious chocoholic or party-thrower, can you see revving this up but only once or twice a year? Crazy! lol

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Miss Neecerie said:
Please note that -I- was not the one recommending googly eyes on the rock....the ones we have look very classy and artistic...the natural mica of the rock shines...

I love rocks, and go crazy looking at and for them while on hikes. I have some from every place I've been to ... and I'd enjoy seeing yours very much. :eusa_clap

BegintheBeguine

I remember I HAVE a beautiful rock; it is a bookend. Well, when I get home from work I will try it as a doorstop. I already have other bookends. :) When my dad was alive I needed a slender doorstop so he could get his wheelchair through, hence the wedge bad as it was.
When I first witnessed a chocolate fountain at a bridal show it reminded me of, well, I won't say as some of you may be eating in front of the computer.
JC Penney rudely informed me they do not cash gift cards. They will however credit it to my JC Penney account. I don't SHOP at Penney's why would I have an account!!!!!!????!!!!? No one wants a gift from Penney's. I am too poor to give the card away. Time to look up the cash-in site on the Internet, thanks everyone for your suggestions. :)
Out local supermarket has that monthly non-usage fee, also, the monopolizers. :rage:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Doorstop

My grandmother had two beautiful glass doorstops. They were big solid round glass spheres with flowers blown into the inside. They were so pretty she used them as decoration.

rue

I do not want anymore clothing from people that don't know me very well. It's such a personal thing to buy....... and gee..... that pair of purple western style Wrangler jeans just aren't my thing...... :eusa_doh:

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
Polo shirts; Don't wear them, they itch. Do not compliment my body shape, and I'm pretty sure ties do not work with them. I've gotten them in the past. Nothing says awkward like when someone gets you an item of clothing that's two sizes too big while you're opening it in front of them. Then you have to pretend you like it. "You shouldn't have"...

I'd actually be impressed if I got one of those 'fancypants' mens bath/shower sets. Just no more cheap colognes, or anything with AXE in the name :nono:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy