Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what does "front quarter" refer to...??

emigran

Practically Family
Been intrigued by the interesting leather jacket threads here at FL and have been frequenting a number of the sites mentioned... what does "front quarter' refer to...??

Plumbline

One Too Many
It's equally NOT the actual Front Quarter ..... but actually both the sides of the horse minus the Shell Butt area, the belly skirt and the lower leg and shin.

So Horse 3/4 would be a more accurate description but it doesn't share the marketing value of "Front Quarter"

HTH :D

zhz

Practically Family
c20ad4d76fe97759aa27a0c99bff6710.jpg

This is where FQ is.

emigran

Practically Family
Thanks, gents...
Why do you think that's the best part... weems the sides, belly and rear are quite large areas as well...

zhz

Practically Family
Its not the best part! The best part is called Shell Cordovan, which is a very small area, and normally used for shoe making.
I am not an expert in leather, but from what I've learned, the area you mentioned dose not provide even thickness, not very smooth.

Thanks, gents...
Why do you think that's the best part... weems the sides, belly and rear are quite large areas as well...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Its not the best part! The best part is called Shell Cordovan, which is a very small area, and normally used for shoe making.
Actually, shell cordovan is not made from the hide itself but rather from a muscle located just under the hide.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Tight? I'm sure Tomasso hasn't even touched a drop that early in the morning Stateside. Well, nothing more than a morning snifter certainly :D
Just a little Irish coffee for these terribly chilly South Florida mornings. :p

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Just a little Irish coffee for these terribly chilly South Florida mornings. :p

I'd have another one if I was you old boy, just to ward off any potential frostbite to your elbows from all those short sleeves you Floridians have to wear. Always pays to play it safe ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner