Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
247884_526698328172_300100395_620656_2222946_n.jpg
at a restaurant last night with coworkers since its one's last day. Its the new stetson panama model, i forget the exact one, i believe i posted about it last year when i got it. I normally would take it off indoors but there was absolutely no place to put it down so i had to wear it. The place was rather open to the street so it wasn't entirely inappropriate i guess.

One of the most inconvenient things about wearing a hat in 2011 is having somewhere to put it when in a restaurant or anywhere that wearing it is inappropriate. On the train, unless you sit leaning forward the back of the brim keeps catching the back of the seat leading to your pride and joy being knocked crooked or worse off your head. And when I'm on the London Underground, because of tIe shape of the trains (and because people were a lot shorter in 1863 when the underground first opened) I'm always hitting my hat on the ceiling. I'm only 5"7' so this must be really awkward for tall people.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Your photo series just get better and better, Al.
Actually, I should be sending the compliments to your super photographer too!

Thanks, Josh! You are indeed fortunate to live and work in a city that has arguably made more of an attempt to preserve its architectural heritage than any other metropolis in America.

I agree... we had many similar projects in Buffalo with the same architects, but we seem better at tearing them down or letting them dissolve.

Love your photo tours, AL... thanks for sharing them.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
What a wonderful cavalcade of straws yesterday, gentlemen! I am just now catching up.

Robert: An imposing Milan. Love the wide brim. That light and airy looking Baku must have felt pretty good yesterday!

David: You are going to put some serious miles on that Panama! Looking good.

Alan: Panama perfection!

Maguire: Sharp looking Stetson Panama. Glad you wisely kept it on your noggin at the restaurant, although sometimes I worry about splatter.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Josh! You are indeed fortunate to live and work in a city that has arguably made more of an attempt to preserve its architectural heritage than any other metropolis in America.

Love your new avatar pic, by the way! :eusa_clap

Thanks, delectans!! I really love that Chicago has made such efforts to save its architectural history. There are so many beautiful homes all over the city, but unfortunately what many younger home buyers are doing is buying an old piece of property and "rehabbing" it. What that entails a lot of the time is ripping out all the original crown moldings, lighting fixtures, covering or replacing the terracotta fascias with aluminum siding, taking all the walls down to the brick, and leaving exposed ducts for that "loft look." There's nothing wrong with doing that, its just not my style. Fortunately for me and others who love Victorian, Edwardian, and Gothic revival architecture, many of those pieces from the rehabbed homes wind up in antique shops all over the city. :)

Thanks for your compliments on my new avatar!! I'm wearing my 1920's American Hat Co fedora there. For some reason, that picture makes the crown look like a top hat. LOL. Its tall, but it looks super tall in the picture.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, delectans!! I really love that Chicago has made such efforts to save its architectural history. There are so many beautiful homes all over the city, but unfortunately what many younger home buyers are doing is buying an old piece of property and "rehabbing" it. What that entails a lot of the time is ripping out all the original crown moldings, lighting fixtures, covering or replacing the terracotta fascias with aluminum siding, taking all the walls down to the brick, and leaving exposed ducts for that "loft look." There's nothing wrong with doing that, its just not my style. Fortunately for me and others who love Victorian, Edwardian, and Gothic revival architecture, many of those pieces from the rehabbed homes wind up in antique shops all over the city. :)

Unfortunately, Chicago was also very late to appreciate its architectural treasures and only a very small percentage remains. They probably tore down enough fine buildings in the 60-s and 70's to fill the downtown of a moderately large city. Great photos of some of the survivors Al.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately, Chicago was also very late to appreciate its architectural treasures and only a very small percentage remains. They probably tore down enough fine buildings in the 60-s and 70's to fill the downtown of a moderately large city. Great photos of some of the survivors Al.

That's extremely true. A very large portion of the once wealthy south side has been torn down through the years to make way for expansions of UIC, parking lots, etc. There are pictures in the national archives of South side mansions that took up a city blocks, that when I tried to google map them, the only thing I found were roads and parking lots. So many theaters/movie palaces have been lost through the years. Very few remain, and out of those several are in dire need of restorations because they are being threatened for a tear down. In the loops Theater district, one can see the best examples of the restored theaters. Such theaters like the Congress, The Victoria, and especially The Uptown Theater are in need of complete restorations.

+1

It's sad the amount of destruction and decay that took place in US cities during that time period.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Normal early summer morning weather today = felt.

This morning MN had 50' temps and it will warm up to mid 60's. A 40' difference from our high early week. I had an early morning hike with our dogs. Some swimming in the lake and chasing ducks was good exercise for the dogs. The walk, hawk watching and back home before 10:00am was the perfect opportunity to try my new (to me) Adams Royal.

Photo%20on%202011-06-09%20at%2011.03%204.jpg

The olive colored Adam Royal came un-creased by human hands. The open crown that had not been altered before- sweet! As reference, the felt has a bit more stiffness than my 50's Stratoliner. It takes a hand bash with work. I suspect with steam it will lock in whatever look is decided upon. A center dent with gentle 4 corners is what I wore. My influence on the look has been the DJH collection of hats, featured in this thread recently.

Photo%20on%202011-06-09%20at%2011.04%203.jpg

The hat body rises steeply from the brim. More steeply than the Stetson Strat. Generally, I see a similarity to the Strat in dimensions.

Photo%20on%202011-06-09%20at%2011.04.jpg

The leather band and liner are pristine. The hat was made with care as the hat band is well done. The stiches are very clean, the thread is quality and 50's liner material is cut cleanly and placed in the hat with consideration of the weave. I have seen many hats that do not have some of this attention to detail. Many with more luxurious, expensive materials.

Very nice hat. I need to get more wear time. Thanks for taking a look at my Adams Royal.

Enjoying the temps, Eric -

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21