Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
The pinnacle is about 10 yo 100% beaver. Not a bad hat but the leather used for the sweat could/should be a higher quality and the crown has a modern taper to it. Still the felt and finish are nice enough. Stetson outlet was giving them away a few years ago for a little over a c-note.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Perfect hat for your BD Bill. Least we get to see some of the best ribbon work ever once a year!
Happy Birthday Devil Dogs and Jarheads out there. 244 years of.....well i guess you’d have to been there.
B
3A2CA6B6-B0BC-44AC-AF85-614254354F04.jpeg

Bill Hughes

View attachment 194774
Here’s a fedora that no one is ever going to be able to wear, but I will still proudly display it in my house and on here at the lounge. My 85 year old father proudly gave this to me today. It was his Dad’s hat.
A man who was one of the first Caucasian settlers in the grand Okeefenokee swamp located in southern Georgia not far from my house. It’s the biggest stand alone swamp in the US. My grandfather was one of the prohibition bootleggers who never got caught and continued making his moonshine up until his death at 76. I’m sure if this hat could talk, what stories it could tell! Though my Dad (his son)can tell some of the stories for it.
The man under this hat tirelessly worked his farm and plowed his fields behind the ass of a mule. He was short in stature and when teased he would answer by saying, “Plowing forty acres with a mule will cause anyone to wear their height from the bottom faster than they can grow it on top!”
My biggest memory of him was when I was a young snot I played in the corn crib with a few of his coon hounds and strew his stacked corn cobs all over the place. He whipped me and the dogs with a peach tree switch. He was of the old school sort who didn’t mind spanking his offspring, but I think it made him even more upset that I caused him to have to whip his dogs! [emoji38]
Has anyone here ever heard of this hat brand? Windsor Club. I haven’t. As you can clearly see, a 6 7/8 hat fits a little tight on me. The moths have done their work, but from now on this hat will be well taken care of.
Have a good evening, folks.
View attachment 194788 View attachment 194787 View attachment 194786

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outstanding family history. A gem to be cherished for sure.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Outstanding family history. A gem to be cherished for sure.

Thanks, Bill. More family history you might like: my brother was in the Marines for only three years but is still just as hard core for the Corps today as he was the day he left Paris island. He was on an M-60 crew in 1983 in Lebanon when the barracks were blown up by a car bomb, killing 243 Marines. He was slotted to be able to move into the barracks just before it happened, but was instead told he had to stay out in the tents. God was lookin’ out!
He later became a president of the group that remembers this terrible tragedy as a memorial service once a year in North Carolina. He never misses it.
A few months ago I gave him one of my prized ‘40’s Stetsons and he wears it everyday.

Last edited:

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 194774
Here’s a fedora that no one is ever going to be able to wear, but I will still proudly display it in my house and on here at the lounge. My 85 year old father proudly gave this to me today. It was his Dad’s hat.
A man who was one of the first Caucasian settlers in the grand Okeefenokee swamp located in southern Georgia not far from my house. It’s the biggest stand alone swamp in the US. My grandfather was one of the prohibition bootleggers who never got caught and continued making his moonshine up until his death at 76. I’m sure if this hat could talk, what stories it could tell! Though my Dad (his son)can tell some of the stories for it.
The man under this hat tirelessly worked his farm and plowed his fields behind the ass of a mule. He was short in stature and when teased he would answer by saying, “Plowing forty acres with a mule will cause anyone to wear their height from the bottom faster than they can grow it on top!”
My biggest memory of him was when I was a young snot I played in the corn crib with a few of his coon hounds and strew his stacked corn cobs all over the place. He whipped me and the dogs with a peach tree switch. He was of the old school sort who didn’t mind spanking his offspring, but I think it made him even more upset that I caused him to have to whip his dogs! [emoji38]
Has anyone here ever heard of this hat brand? Windsor Club. I haven’t. As you can clearly see, a 6 7/8 hat fits a little tight on me. The moths have done their work, but from now on this hat will be well taken care of.
Have a good evening, folks.
View attachment 194788 View attachment 194787 View attachment 194786

Wow, very cool story and hat !! It’s nice that it will be appreciated and taken care of.

Just a suggestion, as I do a lot of vintage displays, if you have any photos of your Dad and/or Grandpa wearing it, you could have them framed and make a little display with the hat.

Bill Hughes

Thanks, Bill. More family history you might like: my brother was in the Marines for only three years but is still just as hard core for the Core today as he was the day he left Paris island. He was on an M-60 crew in 1983 in Lebanon when the barracks were blown up by a car bomb, killing 243 Marines. He was slotted to be able to move into the barracks just before it happened, but was instead told he had to stay out in the tents. God was lookin’ out!
He later became a president of the group that remembers this terrible tragedy as a memorial service once a year in North Carolina. He never misses it.
A few months ago I gave him one of my prized ‘40’s Stetsons and he wears it everyday.

I lost two friends in that bombing.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
I lost two friends in that bombing.
Sorry, Bill. For a week after the bombing we thought Craig might have been one among the dead. The press wasn’t releasing the names. And the last letter we got from him was the one telling us he would be living in the barracks. Finally, one of the news crews panned their cameras across some of the Marines who were alive and well, and well, My oldest brother was one of them. Our family leaped for joy, while other families were not so blessed. It pleases me to report that Craig has led a superlative life since then, but morns over the loss of his friends probably too often. Nothing more should I add to that, except we’re all grateful for your service and the service of our fallen brothers in all our armed forces.
I was able to enjoy my time in the USAF without threat...mostly. When Desert Storm popped off they started mobilizing my unit, but the war was won in a week. Okay by me, now, but back then I was gung ho to go.
Just a stupid kid...

Bill Hughes

Sorry, Bill. For a week after the bombing we thought Craig might have been one among the dead. The press wasn’t releasing the names. And the last letter we got from him was the one telling us he would be living in the barracks. Finally, one of the news crews panned their cameras across some of the Marines who were alive and well, and well, My oldest brother was one of them. Our family leaped for joy, while other families were not so blessed. It pleases me to report that Craig has led a superlative life since then, but morns over the loss of his friends probably too often. Nothing more should I add to that, except we’re all grateful for your service and the service of our fallen brothers in all our armed forces.
I was able to enjoy my time in the USAF without threat...mostly. When Desert Storm popped off they started mobilizing my unit, but the war was won in a week. Okay by me, now, but back then I was gung ho to go.
Just a stupid kid...
I think I might need to offer some clarification. I was in the Corps at that time but I was not there. I was stateside. The Marine Corps is small and while I consider all those lost my brothers, two of them were personal friends. I just didn't want to let anybody think I was there. I am thrilled your brother was not harmed. I also remember scanning television screens looking for friends.

Bill Hughes

Perfect hat for your BD Bill. Least we get to see some of the best ribbon work ever once a year!
Happy Birthday Devil Dogs and Jarheads out there. 244 years of.....well i guess you’d have to been there.
B
Actually, I wear this hat several times a year. I wear hats everyday but don't post pictures often. I always get my wife or kids to snap pictures. That's why it's usually just post pictures on Sundays. I just don't do the selfie thing - even though I have a selfie stick. I may need to breakdown and start doing so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran