Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Can I line up all my different bowlers? Even I can hardly tell them apart:)

That's a photo that sure lights up these days of darkness, Stefan.

I think that could well be a Fedora Lounge hat challenge, friends. Put together your hats that non hat people think look the same but aren't, take, and then post a photo.

I know what I'll be doing Saturday.

Stay well all!!

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey all!
Sheltering on porch with my Optimo Superfino on a beautiful California day.
20200320_175451.jpg 20200320_175421.jpg 20200320_175331.jpg

The fineness of the weave of this hat blows me away. Can't imagine how long it took to achieve that level of skill.
Have a great day!

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Randall! I'm lucky to have found them, especially the Stetson in that color. :)
The SLS is indeed a wonderful old hat, very Whippet-y in it's dimensions and trim, but I would have to say superior in quality to the Stetson. Shame yours is too small for you, but what great trading fodder it will make!
Well...kinda. It sold just today on eBay. Made $162 clear profit! I’ll turn the profit into a fine felt. Unfortunately, it prolly won’t be an SLS, as those are woefully few.
Still wish it would’ve fit. I’d rather have the hat than the money.
Maybe one’ll show up one fine day.
You’re right, the great nephew’s was superior.

That’s the same year my hand built custom was built! Twenty five years old. They only sound better every year goes by.
Looks like you pick yours often enough.
Alright. I’ll stop talkin flat tops and get back to felt tops.

Old wood, leather and felt; not necessarily in that order. Always room for more talk about that. They’re are some pickers around here and some boxes I’m envious of.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/guitars.34272/

Last edited:

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Bowen!
It's around a 1600 wpsi count. Heckuva Goodwill score!
And if I don't show the big crack on the brim, nobody knows it's there! :D
Very fine straw. Never seen weave that tight.

Put some Elmer’s wood glue on it and even fewer folks will know it’s there.
And stop further cracking.
I’ve used it on a Richman brothers Panama straw and it works great.
Or... maybe Washer bros in Ft. Worth will sell you a new one. :). ;-)

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Old wood, leather and felt; not necessarily in that order. Always room for more talk about that. They’re are some pickers around here and some boxes I’m envious of.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/guitars.34272/
Thanks for posting the guitar thread. I read a lot of it and will post my custom “Ronnie Griffin’s “The Bone” there soon. That Cooperson builds some fine looking axes. I’ve built one myself and I agree with him. Too much work to sell for the small prices most are willing to pay.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Very fine straw. Never seen weave that tight.

Put some Elmer’s wood glue on it and even fewer folks will know it’s there.
And stop further cracking.
I’ve used it on a Richman brothers Panama straw and it works great.
Or... maybe Washer bros in Ft. Worth will sell you a new one. :). ;-)
Thanks!
It's not a break in the brim but rather a spot where one straw broke and got snagged and pulled out of the weave. Looks kinda like a wrinkle that won't iron out.
Since I got it for around $1175.00 cheaper than retail I can live with it. Can't see it when I'm wearing it anyway! :)

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Thanks!
It's not a break in the brim but rather a spot where one straw broke and got snagged and pulled out of the weave. Looks kinda like a wrinkle that won't iron out.
Since I got it for around $1175.00 cheaper than retail I can live with it. Can't see it when I'm wearing it anyway! :)
$$$ OMG!!!
Sorry to hear about the minor wrinkle on a major straw!
Well, my 50s $30 Richman bros hat had 3 cracks and now you, and me, really, can’t find the repair. Worked great. ‘Course, there’s probably a thread on here somewhere telling folks it’s either a good idea, or bad idea. Worked, though. :)

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
$$$ OMG!!!
Sorry to hear about the minor wrinkle on a major straw!
Well, my 50s $30 Richman bros hat had 3 cracks and now you, and me, really, can’t find the repair. Worked great. ‘Course, there’s probably a thread on here somewhere telling folks it’s either a good idea, or bad idea. Worked, though. :)
I seem to recall a thread discussing straw hat repair. I remember trying glue backed with paper from the inside to minimize a crown crack and strengthen the area to prevent further cracking. Worked pretty well.

If it’s a dark sage green Adam on eBay, I highly recommend that you try to win it. I can personally attest to the hat’s early 60s superbness!
:)
Wish it fit me, or it wouldn’t be up for auction. And I don’t usually like green hats, neither, too.
If it’s not the hat you’re looking at then maybe you should check it out, as well. A loose Size seven, I think. :)
It isn't that one, Randall. The Adam is a nice looking one though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy