Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I wore an un-lined brown Stetson Playboy for a short dog soiree this morning.

i-tXWZkwB-M.jpg

i-p8KwZmK-M.jpg

i-cBx5w4C-M.jpg

i-7shMXLf-M.jpg

Cheers. Be safe, be strong and see you on the street soon, Eric -

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Michael.

Fantastic hat, Bill. Very nice colours and I like that bow design.

It may not be the coveted Borsalino, but it is an excellent looking hat, Mike.

I can attest to the superb quality of the Wilke velours. They knew their trade alright. Wonderful example, Steve.

That is spectacular, Michael. Aboslutely love it. We see far too few of these staples of the past for gentlemen.

Being a Mallory it seems to sit just a notch above other TAR hats, but that could just be my imagination.

Oooh, very nice, Max. Killer ribbon.
Thanks Stefan. I ran up a few smoking caps a few years back when I wasn't so lazy with my sewing.

Just like Jim's example, these Mallorys bring something extra to the game. Gorgeous hat.

Fabulous, Perry. Seems quite soft for a Stetson. I like it.

Good thing you have a spare hat, Max. :D

Living the life in full! The way it should be done. Great hats, Eric.
Thanks again, Stefan. I wouldn't mind finding a couple more of these.

German week. Week two day three.
Tell or Marke Tell. This hat was a "John Doe hat" until Steve @mayserwegener discovered the logo was for a brand called Marke Tell. Woolfelt survivor hat and with a clip to boot.

View attachment 233302 View attachment 233306 View attachment 233304 View attachment 233303 View attachment 233305 View attachment 233307
Darn nice for a wool hat. I like that crease.

Thought I'd mention, liking the jacket also Sir! I'm a sucker for a spearpoint/dagger collar ahah!
Thanks Dazzy. I'm a bit of a fan too. Sadly most of these refugees from the 70s come in fairly nasty fabrics. And even at that they are fairly hard to turn up locally.

Great looking Mallory Michael. I missed out on TAR again, I'll do better next week.

Love your crowns Perry. This one is really special.

I like your style young man! Great looking jacket and finish on that lid. Impressive!

Do what you gotta do to get through Max. I should have such problems...

Really cool Stefan. What kind of age to this one? Did I send you that hat clip?
Thanks Red. Love that Flying Finn Huckel.

Thanks all,
Michael

Thanks Perry. Unusual times call for me to spend some time enjoying the 1st world riches that can be found on my hat tree.

In supporting local small business I have a weekly delivery from our local beer brewery. My blue-collar tastes have me enjoying the hoppy and sour taste of beer, Our liquior store provides everything else. Support local is good Max.

Thanks sir. I am enjoying your German show.

More German show! Cheers. Those hat clips are curious. They do an excellent job achieving the "look." When I see the "clipped" hats, I suspect they should have some crown height to them. Thanks for sharing.

Eric -
Thank you, Eric. Much appreaciated. The clip came courtesy of Mike @Redfokker, who managed to find a box of them and kindly provided me with a few.

New brand to me, but looks like a good one, Brent.

Wearing an unlined Stetson Bantam this afternoon. On the tree branch behind me is an unlined Playboy.

i-9vz9Rs7-M.jpg

The hats are nearly the same in details and construction.

i-QHc2tFF-M.jpg

i-JjpTZFC-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
Very nice, Eric. Love the vents.

Stefan, Thank you! Super to see the Franz Richter & Söhne Dresden "Marke Tell" Back Bow Wool Soft Felt! It's a great candidate for a Crease Clip!
Thanks, Steve. Everything about the hat pointed towards it once having had one.

This week I will feature the C. G. Wilke Guben, Germany Hat Factory. Founded by Carl Gottlob Wilke in 1822 Guben, Germany. He invented the weather-proof wool hat and was a major contributor in the mechanization of hat making. C. G. Wilke manufactured both Wool and Fur (including Velour) Soft and Stiff Felt Hats. C. G. Wilke Factory was severely damaged during WWII. Guben was the largest hat making center in Germany up to WWII but was heavily damaged during the war. What remained of the Guben Hat Industry infrastructure after WWII was nationalized as VEB United Hutwerke Guben (Guben was located in the GDR).

C. G. Wilke "Elite" "Elektron" made for Deutcher Hut - Vertrieb Kiel, 157 grams possibly late 1920s. This is Wool Stiff Felt so an example of C. G. Wilke Guben Factory Wool Felt production. As mentioned above they produced both Wool and Fur Soft and Stiff Felt Hats and Hat Stumps / Bodies.

49864092183_dd298a31bb_b.jpg

49864633771_eac8f027cc_b.jpg

49864638821_7e8676dacd_b.jpg

49864951977_eb24ab1539_b.jpg

49864113408_686edb4b34_b.jpg

49864964952_c1ed0a3701_b.jpg

38695781762_40e1b78733_b.jpg

C. W. Wilke Guben Factory, Dressing Department, possibly 1920s.

36096394496_6016b14703_h.jpg

35967343402_9a888e2445_h.jpg
Beautiful example, Steve. Great to see some pictures of the dressing department; the unsung heroes of the hats we appreciate and collect.
Continuing a hat parade each day of May on other hat groups. Also including them on my regular Facebook feed. Forgive the repetitive/basic information, I am endeavoring to educate, not bloviate.

Day 6 of 31: Staying in Europe, we travel to Helsinki Finland where this Hückel Special was originally sold. A nice slate blue in color with a dress weight felt. Hückel hats were manufactured in Czechoslovakia after WWII. This hat was made in 1957, as old as me! And that is so old...

The lineage of this one has an interesting story. One of the most famous Olympians of the early 20th Century, Paavo Nurmi "The Flying Finn" opened a Haberdashery in Helsinki in the years after WWII. He went on to become the richest man in Finland before his death in the 1970s.

View attachment 233349 View attachment 233350 View attachment 233351 View attachment 233352 View attachment 233353 View attachment 233354 View attachment 233355
Still one of the nicest blue colour I've seen on a hat, Mike.

30:30 OT:32
Disney Double Eagle

View attachment 233369

Disney Double Eagle - Black
4 3/8 crown as bashed
1 7/8 black grosgrain ribbon
1 7/8 brim with Cavanagh Edge

This Disney Double Eagle was my first of what has now become many black hats. It was first.. but still one of the nicest. The 1 7/8 brim has what appears to be a Cavanagh edge though there is no indication as such on the sweatband. If it is not a Cavanagh edge it is an incredibly well done overwelt. I really just noticed today the neat knot design on the ribbon.

View attachment 233370 View attachment 233371 View attachment 233367 View attachment 233374 View attachment 233373 View attachment 233375 View attachment 233372 View attachment 233368
Nice one, Joe. A combination of "embrace the stingy" and "black hats matter".

Great looking Mallory Michael. I missed out on TAR again, I'll do better next week.

Love your crowns Perry. This one is really special.

I like your style young man! Great looking jacket and finish on that lid. Impressive!

Do what you gotta do to get through Max. I should have such problems...

Really cool Stefan. What kind of age to this one? Did I send you that hat clip?
It's an older hat, Mike. Twenties or thirties is my guess. And, yes, the clip came from your stash.

Thanks Stefan. I ran up a few smoking caps a few years back when I wasn't so lazy with my sewing.

Thanks again, Stefan. I wouldn't mind finding a couple more of these.

Darn nice for a wool hat. I like that crease.

Thanks Dazzy. I'm a bit of a fan too. Sadly most of these refugees from the 70s come in fairly nasty fabrics. And even at that they are fairly hard to turn up locally.

Thanks Red. Love that Flying Finn Huckel.

Thanks all,
Michael
Thanks, Michael.

Unknown maker hat again on the last nice day for a week.
IMG_3522 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_3521 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_3520 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
5-7-2020 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Have a good Thursday,
Michael
The hat is really nice, but the prize today goes to the excellent jacket and waistcoat. Fabulous combo, Michael.

Another Facebook post with some basic information:
Day 7 of 31 Parade of Hats. No trip through Europe would be complete without an English Bowler! I have a couple, but this Dunn & Co. in a nice gray is of note. Probably made in the 1960s, this Bowler has the classic lines of a fine men's hat. The "Stiff Felt" hats have been around since the mid 1800s. They were originally created for game keepers to protect them from low hanging branches...or so the story goes. Soon, everyman would have one on their heads. And the trend crossed the oceans and the "Derby" was born in the USA. Cowboys didn't always wear "cowboy" hats, they most often hat a stiff felt Derby.

21Nov19 Dunn Bowler smile 550x.jpg
21Nov19 Dunn Gray Bowler side 550x.jpg
5Feb19 Dunn Bowler liner 450x.jpg
21Sep18 Dunn gray Bowler sweat 450x.jpg
21Sep18 Dunn gray Bowler Front profile 450x.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo