Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Finally sitting down to the computer this evening. Pardon my tardiness. I was able to visit my Haberdasher, Oscar this morning. I needed to drop off a thumb drive with some historical maps of Albany for him. Picked up a couple face masks. Fell in love with a classic seersucker suit, which I'm too Covid-Fat for right now:(:mad:. Dressed appropriately in a navy double breasted jacket with a matching navy Homburg. This Mayser-Milz Karat Homburg by way of Stefan, before the shut down. True navy color, great felt and shape. A pinch on this one just didn't seem right, took it out and went full frontal formal.
View attachment 241118 View attachment 241119 View attachment 241120
Good to see it in the sunlight, Mike. I remember it having this real deep blue colour. Cool hat.

Knox Twenty on a fine cool morning
IMG_4367 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4368 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4369 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
6-11-2020 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Have a great Thursday,
Michael
Classic Knox look. There's something in their hats that makes them stand out.

View attachment 241203 New 40/50s Champ with gills. I sold my 60s thin ribbon Champ a few weeks ago so this one came up to take its place. A step up, for sure.
I’ve got several hats with this crossed stitched panel on the bow. What’s this feature called?
For Champ to be considered a bargain brand, you sure can’t tell it with this hat. Embossed in the sweat are the words: Custom Quality, so maybe that has something to do with it?
Very nice felt. I’d say it compares very closely with a 40s Harry Rolnick Kitten Finish, which to me, is saying a lot for the Champ co. In the 40s.
Hand felted edge is well done. View attachment 241204 View attachment 241200 View attachment 241201 View attachment 241202
Magnificent hat, Randall.

Beautiful homburg, Max. The St Regis is a nice enough hat, but I'm kind of puzzled by the prices they are asking for them on Ebay compared to other homburgs.

Yesterday......unlined, Dobbs
View attachment 241244

Today,........Stetson
View attachment 241245

This evening.....another Stetson

View attachment 241246
That Dobbs just looks sooooo soft.

Pilgrim for work tonight.

View attachment 241266
Excellent panama, Bill.

Windsor possibly mid 1950s. Could have been made by Mayser - Milz.

49997084566_d6857cf41b_b.jpg

49997009012_0e01ab33ff_b.jpg

49997342052_034ca51e77_b.jpg

49997348227_8c877a0f57_b.jpg

49997098736_b835c334b2_b.jpg

49997101726_674e83725a_b.jpg

8315420566_f2aaec0f95_b.jpg

IMPRÄGNOL Imprägniert (Water Proofing)

Marke_19301.jpg

https://www.impraegnol.de/en/history/

Back in 2017 I found out that the company is still around. This Mayser Milz & Cie (auction photo) also has the IMPRÄGNOL Imprägniert label. Not sure if I have seen it on any other branded hat so M.M. could be the source of some of no brand name hats (see Windsor, Echter Breiter).

23520660218_cd1af2ecd0_b.jpg
This is a very nice example, Steve. Windsor is probably the brand name I find most examples of in various forms.

Ooooh, now that's my kind of hat, Perry. Gorgeous.

Hmmm, nice!

Superb, Wayne.

Went on a much needed road trip down to see Mike Miller at NW Hats today. He is doing well, busy as usual. He didn't miss a beat when the 'Rona shut everything down. We had a great visit, talking hats, gardening, and just catching up. Came up with a plan for my new custom, which is only a couple of weeks away. I was already up in the queue when he sent me a message about a "special" felt body he thought I would be interested in...yes please! It will be kept a State Secret until the big unveiling. Wore a competitor's hat, the Black Sheep Hat Works Silver belly I talked Bill Hughes out of. Mike always gets a kick out of what I wear into the shop.
View attachment 241425 View attachment 241426 View attachment 241427
Looking great, Mike. I think Mike Miller can appreciate Bob's work.
Echter Borsalino possibly mid to later 1950s. Only small remnants of the paper label survived so no model or color. The original Sweatband shriveled up when I was wearing the hat on a hot day (Joe, This is the hat I mentioned.). The Sweatband was replaced by Optimo Chicago back in 2013. Unfortunately Optimo Chicago decided to only refurbish Optimo branded hats back in 2016.

49999810668_7c0f5676ce_b.jpg

49999829573_68664a9313_b.jpg

50000349386_f98db4c1c0_b.jpg

Above new Sweatband by Optimo Chicago. Below original Echter Borsalino Sweatband.

7973544082_a40ab5727c_b.jpg

7973546250_aea128acd2_b.jpg
We have to accept that the felts usually outlive the sweatbands. Super hat, Steve.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
It's quite hard to get those lightweights to behave, but they're so lovely. Great vents as well.
It does seem they refuse to be tamed. Ha ha.

Hang on to the felt as long as you can, Michael. The maker might be unknown, but they did a good job.
I've been trying. We've had a few nice cool mornings here now. Sadly to end soon.

Just a little nudge and it replaces the blue marathon from the top of your finest hats list, Michael.
It's a battle.

Great colours on that one!
Thanks Stefan.

Classic Knox look. There's something in their hats that makes them stand out.
They do seem to be somehow different. Not sure how.

Haven't had the time to post regularly this last couple of weeks (let alone think of a theme). So a few random ones of this week.
Borsalino Landasti
View attachment 241437

Borsalino Cocisan
View attachment 241438

Baronet (Cervo) nutria
View attachment 241439

Luxus
View attachment 241440
Wow Stefan, that Landasti is sweet. Great job with all of the catch up photos.

Thanks,
Michael

Echter Borsalino possibly mid to later 1950s. Only small remnants of the paper label survived so no model or color. The original Sweatband shriveled up when I was wearing the hat on a hot day (Joe, This is the hat I mentioned.). The Sweatband was replaced by Optimo Chicago back in 2013. Unfortunately Optimo Chicago decided to only refurbish Optimo branded hats back in 2016.

49999810668_7c0f5676ce_b.jpg

49999829573_68664a9313_b.jpg

50000349386_f98db4c1c0_b.jpg

Above new Sweatband by Optimo Chicago. Below original Echter Borsalino Sweatband.

7973544082_a40ab5727c_b.jpg

7973546250_aea128acd2_b.jpg
Beautiful hat Steve. Too bad about the original sweat. I’m sure optimio did a fine job on its replacement

Dobbs Sixteen-fifty for a little coffee in the yard on this fine cool morning
IMG_4420 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4421 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4423 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
6-13-2020 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Have a great Saturday,
Michael
Great hat Michael. They were reporting some of your cooler weather was going to push on down here. The South Florida heat and humidity Apparently laughed in the face of that front.

A happy hat for sure, Joe. Lazarus would be a good name for it (would fit with Borsalino quite well: Borsalino Lazzaro).

You are correct sir!

You do the stingies so well, Joe.

Thanks Stefan. They are where I started. No matter what wider brim beauties I find. I do like to slip back into my comfort zone.

Great looking hat. If it needs the work, it's certainly worth it.

I agree. It will eventually along with a Stylepark I have. Above my skill level so they will have to wait til I can get them serviced. In the mean time it might get a wear or two. Maybe more if I can come up with a way to tack it in place for a bit.

It does seem they refuse to be tamed. Ha ha.

I've been trying. We've had a few nice cool mornings here now. Sadly to end soon.

It's a battle.

Thanks Stefan.

They do seem to be somehow different. Not sure how.

Wow Stefan, that Landasti is sweet. Great job with all of the catch up photos.

Thanks,
Michael
Thanks, Michael.

Dobbs Sixteen-fifty for a little coffee in the yard on this fine cool morning
IMG_4420 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4421 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4423 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
6-13-2020 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Have a great Saturday,
Michael
That Dobbs sure is a fine hat.

Love the variety In this batch. Here’s a little trivia for you on that first one. It’s green :D
Thanks, Joe. I've tried to convince it otherwise, but it won't budge. It has so many redeeming qualities it has to be forgiven though;)

You are correct sir!

Thanks Stefan. They are where I started. No matter what wider brim beauties I find. I do like to slip back into my comfort zone.

I agree. It will eventually along with a Stylepark I have. Above my skill level so they will have to wait til I can get them serviced. In the mean time it might get a wear or two. Maybe more if I can come up with a way to tack it in place for a bit.
I've had some experience with stitches breaking. If it has reed and the holes in the leather aren't torn you can re-attach it to the reed and sew in the sweatband again. It's a bit fiddly, but it can be done.

Dobbs Wool Baskin - Charcoal Grey Herringbone

E265CB9A-1CB4-4F39-88AB-C23A24B4A49E.jpeg

This hat has a little story to it. Not a very exciting one. But amusing to me none the less. So skip it if you want... I’m just keeping myself entertained here.....

When I decided to start wearing hats again a few years back. I knew nothing of the qualities and stylings of hats. I did however at the time want something similar to an old wool hat I wore about everywhere for a few years in the early 90s... a small light grey trilby I had purchased in an antique store in St Augustine... one that I had been given the back story of its owner who was a customer of the store that had passed on.. he would visit the store every Sunday with his wife. So with that hat in mind... I came upon this one on EBay Along with another for a total of about $10. I knew it wasn’t a match of the hat I had previously.. but it was a start.

When I opened the box I was made keenly aware of one of the ill effects of buying vintage items on eBay. One that can’t be seen in photos. The smell emanating from this hat was atrocious. Some how a combination of must, mold AND moth balls with a strong hint of dried up sweat and BO. It should have gone right in the trash can. But mind you this was one of my very first arrivals. So I set it to air out outside for about a week.. which diminished much of But not all of the smell. Then examining further under the fabric sweatband was the dried up crumbling remnants of some type of foam padding mixed with dried sweat and whatever was left of the inside of ear flaps. Again.. it should have gone right in the trash can. Instead I pretty much shoved this thing into a corner out of mind for the last few years.

Last week I finally decided to give it a bath. I Hand washed it in a big bowl with some laundry detergent... scrubbed it heavily and let it soak about an hour. When I dumped the bowl there was a thick black sludge at the bottom. I hung the hat out to dry. And the end result is slightly more wearable. Unfortunately I could do nothing to the styling LOL It should probably Still go right into the trash can. But here it is...

0C2EEDA0-19CB-4C2B-99B9-C73F1FA2923E.jpeg
DE6B45D9-38FB-4E4E-9BD2-D573E85BE64B.jpeg
996D591C-C543-4A76-A5AD-CD75C491C303.jpeg
1B4966DE-25F4-4890-BCE8-8DECABFF9B22.jpeg

The day I finished cleaning it.... on TV at my in-laws I see on the screen John Candy in the movie Uncle Buck wearing essentially this same hat. Though I suspect in a much larger size.

A0A62792-5D1E-409B-9B0D-EDF8393E25E1.jpeg

It would be fun to recreate this photo...

1C7940A2-5A0C-4400-AEBA-E027C0ECBC99.jpeg

Then there is the name... where have I heard it?

F8462C02-9990-4707-B0AC-DFC28C5B032F.jpeg

Ok that marks the end of the silliness of the story of this hat... for now.....back out of sight.

ACE0B14F-3BC4-42B7-8608-99EF7BF1F72A.jpeg

Thanks, Joe. I've tried to convince it otherwise, but it won't budge. It has so many redeeming qualities it has to be forgiven though;)

I've had some experience with stitches breaking. If it has reed and the holes in the leather aren't torn you can re-attach it to the reed and sew in the sweatband again. It's a bit fiddly, but it can be done.
I believe it was reedless. And it was actually the leather that ripped at the stitching... like a zipper. The leather was so so thin... I imagine in an attempt to keep the weight down. It felt soft and supple... so it fooled me. Too bad as the markings on the sweat are part of its lore really. My fault. Teaches me to be more careful with an 80 year old super thin piece of leather.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs Wool Baskin - Charcoal Grey Herringbone

View attachment 241478

This hat has a little story to it. Not a very exciting one. But amusing to me none the less. So skip it if you want... I’m just keeping myself entertained here.....

When I decided to start wearing hats again a few years back. I knew nothing of the qualities and stylings of hats. I did however at the time want something similar to an old wool hat I wore about everywhere for a few years in the early 90s... a small light grey trilby I had purchased in an antique store in St Augustine... one that I had been given the back story of its owner who was a customer of the store that had passed on.. he would visit the store every Sunday with his wife. So with that hat in mind... I came upon this one on EBay Along with another for a total of about $10. I knew it wasn’t a match of the hat I had previously.. but it was a start.

When I opened the box I was made keenly aware of one of the ill effects of buying vintage items on eBay. One that can’t be seen in photos. The smell emanating from this hat was atrocious. Some how a combination of must, mold AND moth balls with a strong hint of dried up sweat and BO. It should have gone right in the trash can. But mind you this was one of my very first arrivals. So I set it to air out outside for about a week.. which diminished much of But not all of the smell. Then examining further under the fabric sweatband was the dried up crumbling remnants of some type of foam padding mixed with dried sweat and whatever was left of the inside of ear flaps. Again.. it should have gone right in the trash can. Instead I pretty much shoved this thing into a corner out of mind for the last few years.

Last week I finally decided to give it a bath. I Hand washed it in a big bowl with some laundry detergent... scrubbed it heavily and let it soak about an hour. When I dumped the bowl there was a thick black sludge at the bottom. I hung the hat out to dry. And the end result is slightly more wearable. Unfortunately I could do nothing to the styling LOL It should probably Still go right into the trash can. But here it is...

View attachment 241489 View attachment 241490 View attachment 241491 View attachment 241492

The day I finished cleaning it.... on TV at my in-laws I see on the screen John Candy in the movie Uncle Buck wearing essentially this same hat. Though I suspect in a much larger size.

View attachment 241493

It would be fun to recreate this photo...

View attachment 241497

Then there is the name... where have I heard it?

View attachment 241495

Ok that marks the end of the silliness of the story of this hat... for now.....back out of sight.

View attachment 241496

I am chuckling at your reminder of Uncle Buck! Everyone's family has an Uncle Buck. You have to keep the hat and roll it out for Uncle Buck moments.

My first "shopping foray" for 3 months was this morning at 11:00am. I have been to the grocery store, butcher shop, hardware store over the past months. Liquor, beer (our local brewery delivers to my door), other purchases/necessities and even personal goods are delivered. My first visit other than the before mentioned was the Tailor. It required an appointment a week ahead of time and waiting in the parking lot to be called and summoned into the shop. Picking up items from March, dropping off slacks and some outside work pants were on the agenda. It was my first. A unique moment that had me more excited than a trip to the tailor shop had ever been.

Anywho.... I wore a Well Dressed Head cap for the "momentous" occasion.

i-NGZQfnr-M.jpg

i-HZwzCLM-M.jpg

Finished with the excitement for the weekend, I went home and celebrated by sipping a beer on the dock with my dog - exactly as it should be.

Cheers, Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner