Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

44GCii1.jpg

The warm weather is hanging on for a bit. Brent Black Panama this weekend
That Brent Black is a star

View attachment 271411 40s Dobbs long hair refurb.
Had a few moth divots, but I covered them by pulling up new hair with a wire brush. An idea that worked!
Also, it was a size seven with a ripped and cracked sweat and replaced it with a vintage sweat that I was going to use in a different refurb. Looks best in this hat, though I wish I had an old Dobbs sweat. Got this one tacked in just in case one comes along.
This was another blocked hat that magically made the stretch to 7 1/4 without losing any height or brim width. Getting more successful at that. Takes a lot of careful effort.
The now two tone green ribbon came from a 50s brown porkpie that had a back bow. I turned the back bow into a shark bow. Didn’t have enough material to make 7 pleats, so it has 6.
Seems most pleated bows have an odd number of pleats. 5,7,9,11. I don’t know why.
I made the shark gills having to use the unfaded side of the back bow and in a last second decision used the sun faded side of the ribbon giving an added flair, in my opinion.
Not usually a fan of long hairs, I’m pretty sure this hat will stay one of my favorites for a long time. View attachment 271409 View attachment 271410 View attachment 271407 View attachment 271412 View attachment 271405
Nice work, Randall. Most sharks have only five gills. Prehistoric sharks have six or seven. But a hat doesn't have to be anatomically correct.:)

After getting home I went on a walkabout in a vintage Stetson Whippet.

i-NVH9n6D-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
Careful, Eric. Whippets are priceless it seems!

Classic, Joe. The soft Cavanagh edge looks gorgeous.

Greeley Hat Works western homburg, and Baron Hats moss bowler for my past few days.

View attachment 271468 View attachment 271469 View attachment 271470
Very nice, Jeff.

Oh my! Some colors in the sunset tonight. Colors went nuts with a flash and as the sun dropped off the horizon. Photos are just seconds apart taken with a iphone 11 off a solid rest.

View attachment 271481
View attachment 271482

View attachment 271483
Fantastic!
The G.B. Borsalino again today. It's a hat that just keeps on giving.
View attachment 271528 View attachment 271529
Man, what a great hat. Love that 30's profile of it.

First time wearing my Brummel’s homburg (courtesy of @steur) out & about.
View attachment 271535 View attachment 271536
Looks good on you; the homburg nation is proud to welcome you, Gary!

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
I insist, you try it! Bashing is not a big deal in the end. I never "misbashed" one hat, it has always worked. Watch the video.
I never bashed in an highly accurate style. I never said: "this is the perfect crease, I have to reach for it." I simply bash, and be happy with my unique formed hats.

All hats I have were open crowned. I can't get around with a pre-creased. ;)

Regards,
Arne
I'm with you Arne, every hat owner should give it a try. If it's a hat like an Akubra the more you bash it trying to get it right the better, more pliable and comfy it'll be in the end. Long as you don't steam a sweatband there's no harm you can really do, most of my hats have NOT been open crown and I still bash em a bit, but I'm a total n00b. I just do my own thing

Dobbs Hanover Square for the morning
IMG_6492 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_6493 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_6494 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
10-18-2020 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Have a good day,
Michael
High on the list of hats to add (extra) to the collection. The blue one is coming, Michael.

Early morning found me heading off on essential errands. Irish wool and a Gannon Wanderer (charcoal beaver felt) were my companions.

595F47AE-ADDB-4092-9F33-49EF376D8A6B-M.jpg

DSC03196-M.jpg

Back home and a Stetson homburg took the call for a dog soirée.

3D852254-71DF-4181-952B-1D7928B1A17D-M.jpg

DSC03201-M.jpg

Grilling some breakfast had me outside in a vintage spiral stiched felt.

93753E70-9E92-4F9D-AD7D-5783370BB432-M.jpg

DSC03208-M.jpg

Cheers this Sunday from Minnesota.

Best, Eric -
That's a superb selection, Eric. Magnificent.

Days in the forest. Akubra FederationIV for me today. Diamond Crease.

View attachment 271612 View attachment 271613
Looks great. Nice crease and good colours!

Hey guys I weared my Akubra Federation IV today. Who said just a man could wear a Indy hat? ;)

View attachment 271636
Not me! You leave Indy in the dust wearing it like that.

Nothing says late 1950s like a pork pie back bow Stetson! This old Royal DeLuxe (high end model) Stetson has all the bells and whistles of a fine men's hat that was in style from about 1955 through 1959. I am putting away the summer straws and getting out my winter felts, the first box I opened had all my back bow hats, so I had to give them a spin this weekend. Yesterday, the Saturday Farmer's Market saw a Lee Hats version of this style. Could not resist a photo with a huge pumpkin in an old VW Bus!

View attachment 271653 View attachment 271655 View attachment 271656 View attachment 271657 View attachment 271659
Great seeing you around again, Mike. Hope all is well. Glad to see you haven't lost your touch for wearing every kind of hat you want!

I ain’t gonna lie. Today’s hat was worn to Church this morning.
My long hair restyled Stetdobbson.
But y’all done seen it, so I’m gonna wear this’n for tonight’s service.
View attachment 271658
It’s my second Resistol find. Also reblocked, restyled and refurbished.
Late 50s is my guess. The liner was missing, so I added this 60s liner I’ve had laying around.
This is the 3rd hat I’ve gassed with little to show for it. It did get out the oily spots, but left all the dirty spots, so guess it done some good. Dish detergent and elbow grease got the other stains out, and it was a dirty boy.
This gray 6 ply ribbon was a band stolen from a stingy Borsa, but looks right on this 2 3/4” silver bound brimmed fedora.
Crazy, but most of these hats I buy from eBay are supposed to be refurbed and resold, but after I do all the hard work to make ‘em look good I end up wanting to keep most of ‘em! Didn’t help that this one was a Resistol. I have a soft-er spot for the brand.
View attachment 271650 View attachment 271651 View attachment 271649 View attachment 271654
You do really well with these Frankenhats, Randall. Resistols are easy to like.

Fawn 1930's fedora for relocating leaves, removing some screens and checking the snowblower. Tomorrow there exists a chance of measurable snow that has me concerned I am ready.

C74C7CFC-5EC2-44F5-A59A-A34EB80FD10C-M.jpg

This fedora is a Brock made by the Wolthausen hat corporation. This is when they bought the plant from WHC or the wolthausen hat corporation.

DSC03225-M.jpg

Wolthausen owned the factory from 1895 until 1930. Kensington and then Stetson had possession after. (There is a little bit of mixed information on the Internet that suggests that the plant was sold in 1930 but that Stetson didn’t put their name on it until 1935.)

DSC03228-M.jpg

DSC03229-M.jpg

Cheers. Be safe, be strong and see you on the street post pandemic, Eric -
Breathtaking in every way!

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
I'm with you Arne, every hat owner should give it a try. If it's a hat like an Akubra the more you bash it trying to get it right the better, more pliable and comfy it'll be in the end. Long as you don't steam a sweatband there's no harm you can really do, most of my hats have NOT been open crown and I still bash em a bit, but I'm a total n00b. I just do my own thing
For me, that's the point . The open crowned Fedoras look "worn" and unique just by bashing them. All the little kinks in the felt by bashing it from hand and not by mashine, the asymmetrical lines.... That's "doing the own thing" - style.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Dapper as always Fabio. Love that suit coat. Springtime in your hemisphere! Yay!

Character for sure! Great look sir!

Your posts on Facebook always remind me of how I've neglected my life on the lounge. Love the pie image, good choice!

Good to see your brim Perry.

Lots of wool there Michael. Sheep beware! Love all of it.
Thanks Mike. Good to see you around again.

Hope everything was in working order, Randy. The colour on the Milano works best in real life.

Thanks, Michael. I wouldn't say they're common, but once in a while one shows up.

That is one impressive brim curve on that Dobbs. Good to see it out again, Michael.

A firm place on the Hückel's greatest hits album and quite rightly so. Wonderful hats and this one no exception.
Yes, it does have a nice curve to it. Deion knew a good looking hat apparently.

High on the list of hats to add (extra) to the collection. The blue one is coming, Michael.

That's a superb selection, Eric. Magnificent.

Looks great. Nice crease and good colours!

Not me! You leave Indy in the dust wearing it like that.

Great seeing you around again, Mike. Hope all is well. Glad to see you haven't lost your touch for wearing every kind of hat you want!

You do really well with these Frankenhats, Randall. Resistols are easy to like.
I've been wondering how you could have American week (month) without bringing it out.

Thanks,
Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ