Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Dlaniger

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Imperial Stetson
bddafb29f297046983d041ffb4f93e66.jpg
c627d9a7db567f0f6d819db4ff2dfccc.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

That one is a beauty, Max. Keep them coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Dear Max, I do not want you to defend yourself, it seems to me that some enthusiasts and collectors have at heart the fate of hats difficult to find on the market, both for size and for their type. Seeing your eagerness to have any hat to any extent to supplement or increase your collection, they are alarmed and told you with irony and good manners. I also believe that their concerns are given by the used hat market which becomes very demanding for large sizes. You have a propensity to buy at any price in order to have what you are looking for or better covet and this becomes a problem for everyone. Having said that, you can do whatever you want with your properties. I just want you to think about three interventions in the work that can be done on any object available, whatever the price. I write to you the three types of work that can be done, personal opinion, on any object, including hats "Refurbishment". "Restoration" "Conservative Restoration". The first state of work can be done for anything you want to use a part, in the case of the hat, the felt, and then give it a new shape with or without the other components. The restoration involves a respect for what is in your hand with interventions that safeguard its whole. The conservative restoration is what can be done to keep the originality of the piece to the maximum. Try to think about this and draw your conclusions which of your hats are worthy of having one of the three treatments. I think it will be useful for you to have a collection that will be pleasant to wear and witha value.

Yeah, this can be a touchy subject.

I didn't read any comments here that were particularly or unjustly critical. All Max did was to have a hat opened up a little so it would fit him. I didn't think it changed the character of the hat.

Sometimes a hat needs a refurbishment. How much refurbishment? Depends on the hat and the owner. I'll keep a hat as original as possible, but sometimes a sweat is beyond saving and must be replaced. I'll do anything I can to save a ribbon, though.

I have little issue with conversions, especially if the hat is not particularly unique or valuable (read as: old), or is in very poor condition. But seeing a pristine vintage homburg, for example, turned into a fedora makes me wince a little.

But again, it's really all up the owner of the item. Everything else is irrelevant.

Besides, I didn't alter the ones that my friend Bowen felt shouldn't be altered, because I agreed with him after he explained why he thought so, and because I told him I wouldn't.

I didn't alter the Dobbs One Hundred, the 1930's Borsalino, the Dobbs Fifty, the Flagship, or the 1915 Stetson Excellent Quality. I admit I didn't alter them mostly because Bowen asked me not to do it, but I didn't alter them.

I did alter one Stetson One Hundred and my 7X CB before Bowen explained how he felt about it. I also altered my second Stetson One Hundred after Bowen's request, but that one had already been altered when I bought it.

I have upsized a bunch of smaller sized hats, about thirty of them, but none of those are what I would consider very rare. And here I must say that I, Max Tejeda Nichols, don't consider them to be rare, and that I will continue to upsize any hat I don't consider to be very rare.
I will not downsize more hats because I told Charlie I wouldn't after he politely asked me not to, (with the two exceptions I mentioned to him) but that is only because I already told him I wouldn't, not because anybody else condemns me for downsizing or upsizing MY hats.

I now consider this subject closed, and will not explain or defend my position on it again.

Max, please accept my apology for interjecting my own feelings and thoughts into something that didn’t involve me. I should have just let it pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I didn't realize Doug was so multilingual;)
I forget which small Pacific Island's language Doug speaks, but he speaks that and Spanish as well.
I am very impressed by people that speak several languages.
I thought my friends who say they can't learn English were making a big deal out of very little, until I took Italian lessons for a while. I found it difficult to learn, even though it is very similar to Spanish!
I found it very easy to pronounce, though. In that respect, it is identical to Mexico City Spanish.

Sounds like Hamilton Bowen's work. I have been a huge fan of his work since the mid-80s. Roy Fishpaw recently passed, so no more chances to own his own brand of art.

https://www.meaningfulfunerals.net/obituary/roy-fishpaw?fh_id=10207

If you have pictures of your Uncle's 44 conversion, I would LOVE to see it! dougader AT hotmail DOT com.

Alan Harton, who is in the hospital currently fighting some mystery disease, did the work for me on the Ruger "Twins" I posted above. He no longer works on anything but Colt and some of the USFA clones. The 45 is mine, and the little .32 belongs to my daughter.

There is something to be said about taking what was a factory item and having world class artists within a cottage industry improve it. Elmer Keith's famous No. 5 is a prime example, as is your Uncle's S&W Registered Magnum.

I agree, it's all a matter of degrees; where the line is drawn. The case could be made that an actual Model 27 or, especially, the common, police issued, "Plain Jane" Model 28 could have just as easily been used as a base gun for a project like this. It would have drastically reduced the price of the base gun "donor" and preserved a pre-27. Same could be done for your 44 Special conversion, depending on the shape of your 38/44.

We can amiably agree to disagree on the rarity of some of these hats, especially in the larger sizes. I can grab a 38/44 off Gun Broker almost any time. I can't find a Dobbs 50, or even a 40 or a 20 in my size.... and it's been 2 years that I've been searching. I got a fairly well used Knox 15 only because the seller took crap pictures and didn't know what he had.

No sense in wasting a Gen 1 Colt when a Gen 3 will work just as well... besides, the steel is better. Even a worn out 1st Gen can run thousands $$$$$.

i-djGKnTM-S.jpg
i-nXkCnTz-S.jpg

i-sf5GgdF.jpg
i-DdWQpgw-S.jpg

It was indeed H. Bowen’s work. We had a lot of people donating for the work and it was not cheap. My uncle is well into his 80s and I hope that the revolver will eventually find its way back to me.

I was the one who found the pre-27 for the conversion. I have a couple M28s that would have bee a fine donors but I got a steal on the pre-27 and the checkered top strap just pushed me that direction. I suggested at the time that they use a 38/44 but they wanted adjustable sights and the Outdoosman is just as expensive.

To be honest, I’m not nearly as interested in firearms as I once was, but they are great heirlooms and I love them as a canvas for artistry. I bet I’ve sold close to 30 of my firearms over the last 15 years. I don’t miss any of them, and I thought I really would. I will say that guns caused a lot less clutter around my house compared to hats.

I’ve only seen the one pair of Fishpaw stocks in person. I didn’t know that Roy has passed: he made some incredible stocks and a true artist has been lost.

Be it Dobbs, Knox, Stetson, Churchill, etc. I don’t think a Fifty or a Hundred in my size will come my way. I also don’t think I’d pay what one would cost if it did come up. In my next life I’m coming back as a 6 7/8.

And thanks for being so civil after my ranting. I was taking a ride in my high horse last night and embarrassed myself.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
It was indeed H. Bowen’s work. We had a lot of people donating for the work and it was not cheap. My uncle is well into his 80s and I hope that the revolver will eventually find its way back to me.

I was the one who found the pre-27 for the conversion. I have a couple M28s that would have bee a fine donors but I got a steal on the pre-27 and the checkered top strap just pushed me that direction. I suggested at the time that they use a 38/44 but they wanted adjustable sights and the Outdoosman is just as expensive.

To be honest, I’m not nearly as interested in firearms as I once was, but they are great heirlooms and I love them as a canvas for artistry. I bet I’ve sold close to 30 of my firearms over the last 15 years. I don’t miss any of them, and I thought I really would. I will say that guns caused a lot less clutter around my house compared to hats.

I’ve only seen the one pair of Fishpaw stocks in person. I didn’t know that Roy has passed: he made some incredible stocks and a true artist has been lost.

Be it Dobbs, Knox, Stetson, Churchill, etc. I don’t think a Fifty or a Hundred in my size will come my way. I also don’t think I’d pay what one would cost if it did come up. In my next life I’m coming back as a 6 7/8.

And thanks for being so civil after my ranting. I was taking a ride in my high horse last night and embarrassed myself.

No, you didn't, Brent. You were being passionate, same as everybody else on that topic, and I respect you for it, like I respect them, even if I disagree with them and agree with you. And I will say it again: I wish I could write as well as you do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points