Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Knox Deluxe Flying Cloud

76063B9F-2113-4AFF-A6AB-7F8CC5F08EC4.jpeg

Borsalino MGL XXXXX

68591447-B940-4204-ADB2-0629456F6548.jpeg
9B113EEF-B553-45AD-AC82-8B7638DB4D83.jpeg

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Very recently I used two different hat blocks on this Rolby. My old, too tapered one and my new, too untapered one.
These photos don’t show the differences true to life because the camera angle, while using this iPhone, causes tapered crowns to show less taper than actual, and ones with no taper to show reverse taper.
I wanted to show my reason for applying bondo to my old block, so it would have less taper and sanding down the new block, so it would at least have a bit of taper.
No hat block taper will cause reverse taper after adding a crease to the crown (except when using a c-crown crease)
Too much hat block taper will, of course, cause too much crown taper.
Medium is a popular size for good reason.
Also, when using a hat block to up size a smaller hat, you should order one that’s two sizes bigger than what you need because “felt memory” will cause shrinkage.
The bondo is drying on my old block as I post this. Once finished I will likely reblock this, and other hats for happy medium blocked hats.
For the unlearned, when ordering a custom hat block I hope this info helps.
The one I’m now fixing is the shape I had hoped to buy the first time.
So far, it’s looking good!
Fixing these two composite custom blocks I’ve learned what I suspected at the start. I can just as easily build the blocks myself using stacked, glued and sanded 2x4 pine and not have the long wait when ordering one.
Live and learn.
7DAFDC27-3F88-470C-9264-0F85CF9EDB0C.jpeg
D2CC8478-DEBC-4C16-B13E-D56FF4D35CB5.jpeg

Ps. The real color of this great hat is closer to this last pic.

Attachments

• C4E0D989-EDAD-46D2-9E7B-B69BB9D6F4AD.jpeg
    C4E0D989-EDAD-46D2-9E7B-B69BB9D6F4AD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 124
  • 9990F342-5C59-4D5A-8551-0DD4443BA69C.jpeg
    9990F342-5C59-4D5A-8551-0DD4443BA69C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 113
View attachment 347097 40s/early 50s Playboy that I finished today. Another complete teardown, clean, block and rebuild.
This 7 1/4 (my size) was crumpled and dirty and in need of a stretch to its original size.
As you might tell in the pic the felt is light and thin, also much the same color brown as this 40s Tijuana.
Second hat that I’ve used a shellac stiffener and I tell ya, there’s no comparison to the real thing. Very malleable and pliant, yet holds a crease and brim shape with ease though I mixed very little shellac flakes in denatured alcohol.
Seems to be a good blend. Anyone interested, be glad to share this recipe, or any refurb techniques that I’ve learned over the years.
Learned plenty what not to do, as well.
My 81 y/o Mom says she was living very near the area where and when this hat was sold.
She’s the best!
View attachment 347091 View attachment 347095 View attachment 347094
Gorgeous hat and great work, Randall.
View attachment 347133 Had time to sew another one together today. Yet to sew on the wind trolley.
I have several more ready that I have already done all the hard, but fun work on, and need time to do the unfun part.
Sewing them all back together.

40s/50s MacLachlan. My first of this brand. It was a size 7.
Only thing lost, sadly, in the re-block was the neat little square stampings in the felt halowing the front head opening close to the sweatband. A Mac thing that’s ostensibly part of the forehead cushioning patent.
Really does nothing, far as I can tell, but looks cool and possibly tricked a few MacLachlan customers. View attachment 347131 View attachment 347132 View attachment 347134 View attachment 347136
As a size 7 I disapprove of course (I want them all for myself;)). Wonderful work, Randall.

It’s jazz week here, and I’ve mostly been wearing this cap, but found a perfect opportunity for my falcon park lawless last night.

View attachment 347190 View attachment 347191 View attachment 347192 View attachment 347193 View attachment 347194
The Falcon Park is one your best, Jeff. Fantastic hat.

Classic, Perry. Can't go wrong with that.

A quick trip out to satisfy a sudden craving for Taco Bell for lunch (don't judge me!), and an unlined Resistol to accompany me.

View attachment 347262
Guilty! The Resistol earns you a plenary indulgence though.
24QMPJP.jpg
yOkPOsY.jpg
dySs1fc.jpg

Dobbs Milan stingy with bound brim. With that cool ridge front, top and back. What's that ridge called anyway?
Cool pics as usual, Rick. I like the ridge on that straw; gives it a bit of extra interest.

This afternoon with my nephews,nieces and sisters at the park.
And nobody would go on the pic with you? ;) Looks good, Sebastian.
Gorgeous, Brent.

Any day would do for that one, Joe.

Cheers fedora folks. Thanks for sharing your hat adventures. I enjoyed catching up on them this morning.

Yesterday afternoon an unlined Lee Adventurer in a light charcoal felt

i-mFvBXKq-M.jpg

In the late afternoon I switched to an un-lined Lee Adventurer in a gray.

i-XC8z2mv-M.jpg

Dog soiree this morning was enjoyed while wearing a Dobbs (navy blue felt).

i-gHJGFJD-M.jpg

Home and putzing in the yard while wearing a Marathon Commander (navy felt).

i-TDDLdNm-M.jpg

A visit to the butcher shop found me sport'n a Brent Black panama.

i-4FP5cfn-M.jpg

Back home I completed a cleaning and steaming of a couple Supernatural Panamas. I have been wearing one of these panamas and enjoying the shade under the 3.5" brim. During my panama refreshing project I used damp sponges, a tiny bit of Ozy Clean, water and copious amounts of steam. The results are cleaner hats, tamed brims and eased crown creases.

My experience with the big straw brims are that they get wonky after wearing in humid weather. Steam and gentle work with my fingers and they are good to go again.

i-tGj68JB-M.jpg

i-HrqJZxh-M.jpg

i-nGrSs39-M.jpg

i-SLDFjCG-M.jpg

i-8zxJB5c-M.jpg

i-GJWThXv-M.jpg

i-Q5BsxWm-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
Call me gobsmacked! The parade is even more spectacular than usual, Eric. Didn't think that was even possible.

Disney Milan. Not to be confused with Disney's Mulan.

View attachment 347452 View attachment 347453 View attachment 347454
Maybe she made it?

Lovely Mallory, Joe.

The cheapest panama i own, but it fits like a glove... :) View attachment 347598
Nice and airy, Marcel.

View attachment 347624 View attachment 347625 Tumwater silver belly and Dobbs Milan kept my head covered the past couple days.
Very nice, Jeff. I like the brim flange on the Turnwater.

Gooood morning forum! Continuing with my predictable carpe diem efforts with a day off I started a dog soirre early. My dog, Tio and I beat the sunrise. Early summer 5:00am would have us seeing the sun peering over the horizon. It is now lighter. I wore a VS fedora (Whippet inspired sahara beaver felt). A cup of hot coffee was delicious for a walkabout after the dog walk.

i-fV2Kqzd-M.jpg

I worked puttered filling the bird feeders, raked the beach and picked up the yard while sporting an unlined Stetson Playboy. I continue to feature day lilies in my pic collages as they are starting blooming and are gorgeous. They do not last long and I am focused on appreciating the beauty they bring to the landscape.

i-Vcs5XVm-M.jpg

Essential errand to the hardware store found me changing to a Stetson Stratoliner (50's sage hued felt). The Manager at the store recognized the hat from our previous hat conversations and even called it by name. He rocks and wins my business by excelling at customer service. I was the only customer in the store and he teased me for being early.

i-TMVGqfC-M.jpg

I started a plumbing project and took a break to fix breakfast. I changed to a panama hat to match the days heat. A Stetson panama fit the bill perfectly. I sipped a beer while grilling my breakfast.

i-FqRs8cK-M.jpg

Carpe diem, Eric -
Carpe diem, indeed, Eric. Gorgeous hats, all and equally gorgeous pics.

Holy shite this last page is so over the top. I "quoted" Joe's post of his powder blue Strat which happens to be one of my favorite FL hats but then Eric followed up with his seven !? That Dobbs and Marathon?! Wow. What's the plural of y'all? ALL Y'ALL ... really killing it this Sunday. We managed a few hours at the park before more of our rain came in. Was wearing this Gelot that also came in this week. Beautiful felt and a very light hat. As soon as we get some sun I'll post it in the French Lid thread.
View attachment 347712
View attachment 347713
It certainly looks good. Looking forward to more pics in the French makers thread.

View attachment 347724 To church in the old Rolby.
Added back it’s wind trolley since last post. View attachment 347725
Nice!

Impressive in every way!

Wonderful looking hat, Adrian.

So the routine here in the summer is to open up some windows overnight and put box fans in the windows to bring in copious amounts of cool air so the house is cool in the morning. But sometimes it's so cool you have to put on a fleece jacket or something because it gets too cold, and I usually grab a cap or hat, too. But it means I don't have to turn on the A/C unit until 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

With the new ribbon Mike Miller put on this 60's stingy brim Charles Knox, I'm thinking it's going to get more head time. It was an old dirty beater when I got it. Then I hit it with the white gas and cleaned it up but the ribbon was nasty. It looked like someone threw it in the back window of their car and left it to die. Sad story for a Knox 40 with Custom (felted) Edge.

Instead of the faded black ribbon I had Mike put on a copy of the original style in navy blue. I really like how it turned out.

View attachment 347926
View attachment 347927

View attachment 347928
That has been brought back to life, Doug. As it should: great hat.

View attachment 347939 Refurbed 40s Playboy for a quick jaunt uptown. Gotta buy some bondo so I can reshape a composite block so it’ll have less taper. View attachment 347938

Nice ribbon work on that Knox 40, Dougy! @Tukwila looks great on ya!
The Playboy looks good already, Randall.

Yup, those work. Very nice, Joe.

Raining off and on here in North Texas today. Felt was called for so went with a Peters Bros conversion.

View attachment 348029 View attachment 348030 View attachment 348031
Excellent hat, Bill.

NW Hats nutria. I'm loving this hat.

View attachment 348148
Whoa, that is a mighty crown on that one, Doug.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Didn't get around to posting the last few days, but here are last weeks' hats a few days late.

Mossant de Luxe
View attachment 348262

Borsalino Gulaela Lupo
View attachment 348263

Knox
View attachment 348264

Borsalino Gulaela Lupo (again)
View attachment 348265

Portis
View attachment 348266

Panama Legitimo
View attachment 348267

Portis (again)
View attachment 348268

You always have nice fedoras, Stefan, but this week’s...sheesh! Extra nice.
Love the Mossant — and the Portis because it looks much like my new
ex-sized 7 Rolby . :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner