Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
Fed IV has been my go-to outside work hat as of late
20211007_111535.jpg 20211007_111538.jpg 20211007_111541.jpg

Would you have any photos? Would you be willing to sell the topcoat ?

Please be patient, and I will look to see. My closet inventory is not as well organized as my hats are. In 1975 my salesman uncle passed away in Boston. He was a sharp dresser, and lucky for me, my size (at the time, anyway). Much of that haul of legacy clothing has been passed along, but I did manage to preserve a few special articles. There were still many great examples of late 1960s styles, too. I hope I don't have a flashback from all this!!

GREAT find, Joe!! An "Earthy" hat, showing TONS of personality and life.
It has a reeded sweatband. Showing my inability to retain details, here... when did they start with reeded sweatbands?

And to your Commentator of yesterday... OMG!! SPECTACULAR!!
That's NO common 'tater!!

Rumad

One Too Many
Yesterday early evening I went on a walkabout in a Stetson Bantam.

i-p6SffGd-M.jpg

i-wjGXNhf-M.jpg

i-Tn9R5g8-M.jpg

i-6JD9qJd-M.jpg

Home and enjoying the beginning of sunset in a Stetson Stratoliner.

i-pczJKNc-M.jpg

i-Mpvfw9c-M.jpg

This mornings dog soire was enjoyed wearing a VS Executive (bluemist beaver felt with a gill ribbon treatment).

i-kpxXf8x-M.jpg

i-mmzT4Bj-M.jpg

i-9hGvxGp-M.jpg

i-PZzsCNk-M.jpg

Home and enjoying some coffee while walking about. I changed to a VS Executive (silverbelly beaver felt and gill treatment).

i-jwX9GG4-M.jpg

i-DG5zjMW-M.jpg

i-xNTmP5J-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
All great hats Eric. I especially love the VS with that gorgeous purple liner. I’m pretty sure I asked Art for that purple on EVERY hat I ordered, and he was out of stock every time. Oh well, I’ll be happy to covet yours. Be well!

GREAT find, Joe!! An "Earthy" hat, showing TONS of personality and life.
It has a reeded sweatband. Showing my inability to retain details, here... when did they start with reeded sweatbands?

And to your Commentator of yesterday... OMG!! SPECTACULAR!!
That's NO common 'tater!!
Thank you Charlie. It is an interesting detail you noticed. I based my estimate on that it appears Roelofs was bought/merged with Guyer around 1914. After that date you usually see either Guyer/Roelof or just Guyer. The rolled up newspapers I found behind the sweat (I know not the best dating mechanism) were dated around 1904… May help corroborate that pre 1914 notion. I’ll probably never know for sure.

An interesting fact about Henry Roelofs… he was married to John Stetson’s daughter and they lived in the estate next door. But it appears that is where the connection between the companies ends.

This hat definitely is outside of my daily stylings and given its fragility it is one I pull out on rare occasion “just because”. The Commentator though… I think demands more wear!

Thank you Charlie. It is an interesting detail you noticed. I based my estimate on that it appears Roelofs was bought/merged with Guyer around 1914. After that date you usually see either Guyer/Roelof or just Guyer. The rolled up newspapers I found behind the sweat (I know not the best dating mechanism) were dated around 1904… May help corroborate that pre 1914 notion. I’ll probably never know for sure.

An interesting fact about Henry Roelofs… he was married to John Stetson’s daughter and they lived in the estate next door. But it appears that is where the connection between the companies ends.

This hat definitely is outside of my daily stylings and given its fragility it is one I pull out on rare occasion “just because”. The Commentator though… I think demands more wear!

How fantastic is that, a 1904 paper tucked in!?! True, it’s only an indication, but an old one, and a cool one. I poked around to try to find any discussion of date ranges for the use of reeded or unreeded sweats, and as always could only find indicators, not hard and fast proof of much. It seems widespread use of reeds on soft felt hats began in the 30s, but as not much is absolute, yours could (appears to!) be quite a bit older. The mystery goes on…

GREAT find!

quikrick

One Too Many
Recently took an old wonky milan and an old brown felt I had in my closet to David at Texas Hatters. Had him create a duplex for me. Fits like a dream.

View attachment 367420 View attachment 367421 View attachment 367422 View attachment 367423 View attachment 367424 View attachment 367425 View attachment 367426 View attachment 367427
That is so cool Ken.
So let me get this straight, You took an old milan hat and an old felt hat then David converted them to one half breed?

That's a great looking hat, I can't seem to find an US. dealer that carries the sombrero. Did you have to order directly from Aus? Sorry if this is one of those questions that gets asked allot.

Yes, I ordered it from Australia. It took about 10 days. I’ve ordered several hats from Hats Direct (The Hattery) and Everything Australian and they’re always smooth transactions. Hit and miss using Hats by the Hundred.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925