Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Pellie

One Too Many
Smoking a pipe outside and wearing a grey Brummel's.
IMG_20211124_122819_066.jpg
IMG_20211124_122819_333.jpg

Next in the black pre-war series, another European.

French again but in long hair finish this time. Unknown maker but similar size tag Fletchet used View attachment 381500
Wool or wool mixture, so not real velour ;) nice sheen, though quite rough hand. Double bow, old style wind-cord View attachment 381501
Textured and laced sweatband View attachment 381502
Le blason
View attachment 381503
I hope you enjoy it
Panos,
Steve & Panos: I enjoyed both of your magnificent pre war hats!
Absolut fantastic Velour and Bow on the Rockel
Matt, Thank you!

They are obviously buying it for the celebrity connection because that is not a very nice hat. I’ll also confess that I don’t have any idea who Tom Waits is.

They are obviously buying it for the celebrity connection because that is not a very nice hat. I’ll also confess that I don’t have any idea who Tom Waits is.
What I kinda remember about Tom Waits is that he is known for his low gravely singing voice and songs about folks with less than an ounce of hope left.. but they have that. He never had too much commercial success… but he has a strong following for his very recognizable voice. His biggest hit I believe was a success as sung by Rod Stewart - Downtown Train.

On a side note I think I remember from my days in television production…. While he didn’t have too much “commercial success” … his very recognizable voice was highly sought after for “commercial purposes” advertising…. Which he adamantly opposed and had to litigate to keep his voice and music out of advertising campaigns

and on the hat topic… he is wearing a Fedora in his video for Downtown Train.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
What I kinda remember about Tom Waits is that he is known for his low gravely singing voice and songs about folks with less than an ounce of hope left.. but they have that. He never had too much commercial success… but he has a strong following for his very recognizable voice. His biggest hit I believe was a success as sung by Rod Stewart - Downtown Train.

On a side note I think I remember from my days in television production…. While he didn’t have too much “commercial success” … his very recognizable voice was highly sought after for “commercial purposes” advertising…. Which he adamantly opposed and had to litigate to keep his voice and music out of advertising campaigns

Apart from being a great singer/songwriter and musician, Tom Waits is also known for his acting in several movies and his theater productions with Robert Wilson.
I can recommend, among others, the film Down by Law, and the sound track to the musical play Black Rider.
His compilation 3 cd set "Bawlers, Brawlers and Bastards" is a good place to start if you want to hear more.
Needless to say, I'm a great admirer of his work :)

The Shoe

One Too Many

Tom Waits when he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by Neil Young: “They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with…and they say that like it’s a bad thing.”!
He’s got loads of beautiful songs, which that gravely voice works perfectly for, think Martha or Grapefruit Moon, but Tom Traubert’s Blues may well be my favourite. I’ve never seen him without a hat of some description - usually a stingy brim, but also caps.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Apart from being a great singer/songwriter and musician, Tom Waits is also known for his acting in several movies and his theater productions with Robert Wilson.
I can recommend, among others, the film Down by Law, and the sound track to the musical play Black Rider.
His compilation 3 cd set "Bawlers, Brawlers and Bastards" is a good place to start if you want to hear more.
Down by Law was fantastic! I love the song Jockey Full of Bourbon that he did for the movie, too.
So I guess you’ll be picking up the hat then, Steve.;)

I agree on the hat, but you gotta fix that Tom Waits hole in your life.

The first time I ever saw Tom Waits was on a show with Martin Mull called Fernwood 2nite, a spin-off of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. He played "The Piano has been Drinking," then walked over and sat for an interview, whereupon ha pulled out a bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream and sat it in front of him.

Martin Mull watched this and said, "Well it's not every day one our guests has a bottle in front of them!"

To which Waits of course replied, "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!"

And a fan was born...

The Shoe

One Too Many
I agree on the hat, but you gotta fix that Tom Waits hole in your life.

The first time I ever saw Tom Waits was on a show with Martin Mull called Fernwood 2nite, a spin-off of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. He played "The Piano has been Drinking," then walked over and sat for an interview, whereupon ha pulled out a bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream and sat it in front of him.

Martin Mull watched this and said, "Well it's not every day one our guests has a bottle in front of them!"

To which Waits of course replied, "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!"

And a fan was born...
One of my favourite karaoke songs!
I’ve seen that clip on YouTube - hilarious!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ