Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Pkyoakum

One of the Regulars
~1954 Borsalino Pocket Hat
borsa2 - 1.jpeg

Pkyoakum

One of the Regulars
I wanted a Panama hat, so saw the sale at JJ Hat Center and picked up a Pessaro grade 8, retails at $225 on sale at $112. But since the photo did not include a straight on view, I didn't realize it was quite tapered, not my style. So I bought an Optimo style at Levines Hat Co. on sale at $83. It is less grade , but looks much better on me. From a distance few can tell the quality of a Panama hat anyway. Anyway it fits perfectly and I like the look. Buying online is such a gamble at times.
optimo - 1.jpeg

The Shoe

One Too Many
The Shoe, what differences do you notice between the 1960 Stylemaster and the recent ones? Is the quality any different? Thanks
I don’t have a modern Stylemaster, so can’t really say. I can tell you that the felt is really soft in the crown - much softer than my new Camp Draft or Fed IV. I suspect that it’s partly from it being grabbed at the pinch by the previous owner, but it’s also labeled “Pocketweight”, a term Akubra don’t use anymore which suggests to me that it may have been a thinner felt to start with. I believe the modern Stylemasters are lined. This one is not, which I guess also contributes to its pocketweightedness.
The felt in the brim is a little stiffer, but the felt is thinner than the other two. It has some real tension in the brim, so it has more of a snap than any other hat I own. It really snaps and makes quite a pleasing sound as it does so.
The sweatband is 3 1/2 cm. That’s the same as the Imperial quality Camp Draft (the Deluxe Fed IV is 4cm) and I suspect of a similar quality, though it is showing a few signs of aging.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
YpkI2Pj.jpg

Making fresh squeezed orange juice. This is for you guys in the cold Northeast and Midwest!!
Wearing my Huckel Bowler.

Dang! You may be surprised to find us snow folks on your doorstep for a morning glass of OJ. Looks delicious.

The day began above 0'f and it trending into the upper 20'f. Warm. At least warmer. My dog soirre was taken while wearing a Gannon (moss green with gills) fedora.

i-rSTD6jt-M.jpg

i-Fp5VF4T-M.jpg

Returning home I went on a walkabout filling bird feeders and picking up fallen limbs while wearing a Penny's Marathon (sage green).

i-pZz7Rgn-M.jpg

i-m3JLBrv-M.jpg

Stay safe in the big snow folks in eastern US and stay warm to our forum folks north of the border.

Cheers, Eric -

I don’t have a modern Stylemaster, so can’t really say. I can tell you that the felt is really soft in the crown - much softer than my new Camp Draft or Fed IV. I suspect that it’s partly from it being grabbed at the pinch by the previous owner, but it’s also labeled “Pocketweight”, a term Akubra don’t use anymore which suggests to me that it may have been a thinner felt to start with. I believe the modern Stylemasters are lined. This one is not, which I guess also contributes to its pocketweightedness.
The felt in the brim is a little stiffer, but the felt is thinner than the other two. It has some real tension in the brim, so it has more of a snap than any other hat I own. It really snaps and makes quite a pleasing sound as it does so.
The sweatband is 3 1/2 cm. That’s the same as the Imperial quality Camp Draft (the Deluxe Fed IV is 4cm) and I suspect of a similar quality, though it is showing a few signs of aging.

FWIW, I own an Akubra "Fedora," which is similar to the Sydney. I think the Stylemaster has a bound brim, no? I think the Akubra dress hats, such as those three, are softer than the Feds, Camp Drafts, and other hats that are more like working hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails