Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Boxing up felt hats…always a sad time. This VS won’t come out again until Autumn.

689AFDF7-7163-4DA8-9716-C67767A3C0CA.jpeg
3B414F4E-AFE6-4CDA-A496-230135076B51.jpeg

Getting in my felt before it gets too warm. Gannon in plum nutria:

View attachment 506698 View attachment 506699 View attachment 506700 View attachment 506701
Super color Brent
That's a humdinger Greg.
This morning it was an unseasonable 60'f (15'c). An unlined Stetson Playboy was my hat for a walkabout.

i-ZJ3jdjs-M.jpg

i-gC9d2QJ-M.jpg

i-4k73P9w-M.jpg

Rose bush trimming and moving fallen limbs had me changing to a "work hat." My Gannon Playboy was put to work. I removed the liner for the warmer weather efforts.

i-xhgs6ZD-M.jpg

i-X8ZjgCP-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
Beautiful duo Eric.
Two hat day. Out for brews in a Wormser.

View attachment 507165
Nice couple of hats Jim.
Sweet straw Fabio.

DrHat

New in Town
Akubra Camp Draft Taupe
- RAF Museum Laarbruch, Germany

Any suggestions about the brim or crease? (first time doing that, wanted to make a cowboy crease but ended up with the teardrop and leaving the brim as it was).

Attachments

• IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 60
  • 1681420527795.png
    1681420527795.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Mighty44

One Too Many
Looks like you did a great job. Up to you whether you want the brim snapped down. Mine took some steam to convince it to stay down but then I still had the option of wearing it up. It does make it more practical for keeping sun and rain out of your eyes.

Akubra Camp Draft Taupe
- RAF Museum Laarbruch, Germany

Any suggestions about the brim or crease? (first time doing that, wanted to make a cowboy crease but ended up with the teardrop and leaving the brim as it was).

Looks great as it is. I personally find the 5 ½” crown height of the Campdraft to be a little too low for a good cattleman’s crease. Others get their hats shaped that way and it looks great, but I need more crown to pull it off.

tamz0r

Familiar Face
Looks great as it is. I personally find the 5 ½” crown height of the Campdraft to be a little too low for a good cattleman’s crease. Others get their hats shaped that way and it looks great, but I need more crown to pull it off.
Brent, out of curiosity, what crown height would you say would a good cattlemans crease… say for a smaller hat like 2.5 inch brim.

Brent, out of curiosity, what crown height would you say would a good cattlemans crease… say for a smaller hat like 2.5 inch brim.

A lot has to do with my head size (7 ¾) and my head shape. I like a 6” crown at a minimum, but with thinner the felt you can get away with less crown height…to a point. I don’t care for any hat with an open crown of less than 5 ⅝” and teller is definitely better. It’s also a personal preference and no doubt others will think my crowns are too high. I also think that 2 ¾” is the minimum brim width that looks right on the Open Road and, although it’s not authentic, I think that at my size a 3 ⅛ to 3 ¼” looks best. It’s all so subjective and has more to do with proportions that with just the raw numbers. Small changes also make a big difference when we are talking about brim widths and crown heights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou