Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

IMG_20231202_162717729~2_Original.jpeg

Champ Bowler - Brown
Approx 4 3/4 crown
About 1 3/4 brim to curl
1 1/8 brown grosgrain ribbon

When I got a heads up about this brown Champ Bowler from lounge friend and enabler @Randall Renshaw … I had thought I might have gotten my HAS under control. I thought wow that’s a super Buy It Now deal on a cool probably 1960s brown bowler… but I have two other brown bowlers that don’t get worn enough.. at 6 7/8 it’s on the smaller side of what I can wear and being a stiff felt not really any margin for error. So I thought I would pass on this one and went about my day doing some yard work for a couple hours. Only to return to find it still there… and wouldn’t you know that HAS kicked in and the BIN was pressed.

Now that it arrived I couldn’t be happier with it. What I had thought was a 60s hat from the seller pics… looks in person to be more 1950s. There is no HCA label inside and the size sticker inside is more in line with pre 1956 HCA takeover Champ labels… so I’m leaning to mid 1950s. Love the look and shape… and it fits like a dream. It made the trip out last night to the pub for karaoke. Thanks Randall!

IMG_5375.jpeg
IMG_5386.jpeg
IMG_5385.jpeg

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 566694

Champ Bowler - Brown
Approx 4 3/4 crown
About 1 3/4 brim to curl
1 1/8 brown grosgrain ribbon

When I got a heads up about this brown Champ Bowler from lounge friend and enabler @Randall Renshaw … I had thought I might have gotten my HAS under control. I thought wow that’s a super Buy It Now deal on a cool probably 1960s brown bowler… but I have two other brown bowlers that don’t get worn enough.. at 6 7/8 it’s on the smaller side of what I can wear and being a stiff felt not really any margin for error. So I thought I would pass on this one and went about my day doing some yard work for a couple hours. Only to return to find it still there… and wouldn’t you know that HAS kicked in and the BIN was pressed.

Now that it arrived I couldn’t be happier with it. What I had thought was a 60s hat from the seller pics… looks in person to be more 1950s. There is no HCA label inside and the size sticker inside is more in line with pre 1956 HCA takeover Champ labels… so I’m leaning to mid 1950s. Love the look and shape… and it fits like a dream. It made the trip out last night to the pub for karaoke. Thanks Randall!

View attachment 566695 View attachment 566696 View attachment 566697

Looks great on ya, Joe!!
Glad I could help you into it. Ya know, there was a time when I actually thought the title, “enabler” was a good thing. It really isn’t, is it.
:)

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Probably more of a "Spring"-colored hat, but wearing a new-to-me Lamson Hubbard Pastel that I rescued from an antique mall. It's got a few bites and the ubiquitous green stain, but it's super-comfortable and I like it. Note the unusual band stitching on the outside of the hat-- is this normal???
View attachment 566230

Those are basting stitching to keep the ribbon from getting wrinkled in shipping etc. They were meant to be removed after the hat was sold, but I kind of like them.

Those are basting stitching to keep the ribbon from getting wrinkled in shipping etc. They were meant to be removed after the hat was sold, but I kind of like them.
I think of them in a similar way to hang tags of other marketing items that were meant to be thrown away after purchase. Once we move into the collection realm these items all become cool parts of the collection. especially when these details have survived 50, 60, 70 or more years

I remember some years back there was a fad where folks kept the tags on thier ball caps and didn’t bend the brim. Always thought it was kinda silly. Now…. Not as much :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland