Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Altiori

One of the Regulars
The hats of the week. Last time this year.

Fléchet

View attachment 575568

Barbisio Lontra

View attachment 575569

Tonak Jota velour
View attachment 575570

Feinste Velour Mode
View attachment 575571

Fabroc
View attachment 575572

Stetson
View attachment 575573
Sir:

Those are beautiful hats.

And they’ve prompted a question that I’m hoping folks smarter and more experienced than I might address.

I own a beautiful fedora that had been my grandfather’s. The hat is from the mid to late 1930s. When I acquired it the old Union label was attached, the miner was a bit ripped—but the hat was in great condition. I’ve had the hat reblocked, cleaned, and a new liner put in.

There was no indication of manufacturer. (Stetson?)

I’ve been attempting to identify the felt for several years.
Velour? Melusine? Long haired beaver?

I’m guessing my grandfather purchased the hat somewhere in central PA (Scranton, Wilkes-Barre) in the 1930s He has long since passed but my father, born 1930, remembers his father (my grandfather) wearing the hat when he was a child.

Welcome your thoughts or observations.

And happy New Year to all on this excellent site.

Peace

PS: Chugg, the wonder dog, is always in my hat photos—my apologies.

Attachments

• IMG_4990.jpeg
    IMG_4990.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4991.jpeg
    IMG_4991.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4992.jpeg
    IMG_4992.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 44
Sir:

Those are beautiful hats.

And they’ve prompted a question that I’m hoping folks smarter and more experienced than I might address.

I own a beautiful fedora that had been my grandfather’s. The hat is from the mid to late 1930s. When I acquired it the old Union label was attached, the miner was a bit ripped—but the hat was in great condition. I’ve had the hat reblocked, cleaned, and a new liner put in.

There was no indication of manufacturer. (Stetson?)

I’ve been attempting to identify the felt for several years.
Velour? Melusine? Long haired beaver?

I’m guessing my grandfather purchased the hat somewhere in central PA (Scranton, Wilkes-Barre) in the 1930s He has long since passed but my father, born 1930, remembers his father (my grandfather) wearing the hat when he was a child.

Welcome your thoughts or observations.

And happy New Year to all on this excellent site.

Peace

PS: Chugg, the wonder dog, is always in my hat photos—my apologies.
Thank you. Looks like a short haired velour to me. Impossible to say anything more based on what little information you have.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

Altiori

One of the Regulars
Thank you. Looks like a short haired velour to me. Impossible to say anything more based on what little information you have.
Thank you for taking a look.
Is velour used for hat making usually made from hare, or beaver, or mink? Or something else?
I’m fortunate to own some vintage hats, beaver to rabbit , but this is the only “velour” I own. The others I’ve seen have all been photos on FL.

Tks again.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
New obsession and new late 40s fedora. Love the dusty puce color and band!
Which bigger hat company made the Citation brand?
This one has the vented sweat and underneath hatband vented felt. Sure wish the entire hat was in better condition.
Don’t usually keep dilapidated sweatband hats, but make an exception for this old beaut and wear as beater.
The moose pattern Case knives are a small part of my new knife collection venture. One ‘77, one ‘81 and one ‘92 model.
A deep money pit I won’t be able to fall too awfully far into. HAS still has precedence.
8A89FDBF-9F77-4311-82C0-10B44445B5AC.jpeg
1A66BBD7-F2EA-468C-B980-90708CB17964.jpeg
AFFF48F7-F0A8-4D94-8106-555064725545.jpeg

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
New obsession and new late 40s fedora. Love the dusty puce color and band!
Which bigger hat company made the Citation brand?
This one has the vented sweat and underneath hatband vented felt. Sure wish the entire hat was in better condition.
Don’t usually keep dilapidated sweatband hats, but make an exception for this old beaut and wear as beater.
The moose pattern Case knives are a small part of my new knife collection venture. One ‘77, one ‘81 and one ‘92 model.
A deep money pit I won’t be able to fall too awfully far into. HAS still has precedence.
View attachment 575781 View attachment 575780 View attachment 575785

Which song did you sing for that Citation? I bought the brother from another mother from the same seller.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters