What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AbbaDatDeHat, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

The brim of the hat folds in and the hat appears like a slightly open clam shell. I keep this hat in the box as the felt is malleable and will flatten out when out of the box. I do like the brim snap and fedora swoop to my Strats. We only have to look to Alan for inspiration for wearing a hat with curved side brim.

I was reading thru the Stratoliner threads this morning to see if I could identify when the "clamshell" boxes were stopped being distributed by Stetson and could not find info. I am not sure if 50's and 60's Stratoliners came in a like box.

Eric -

2. steur

steur

Thank you, Michael. It's a bit heavy on the shellac, but still works.

Michael A likes this.
  3. Wyldkarma

Wyldkarma One Too Many

Vintage Stevens. 20190728_092123-1008x1344.jpg 20190728_092114-1008x1344.jpg 20190728_090540-1008x756.jpg 20190728_090518-1008x756.jpg

4. Wyldkarma

Wyldkarma One Too Many

I'm in the north Austin area and was in Wimberly the other day where that shot was taken. Yes, loved the cool mornings these last few days. ;)

2mar10 and T Jones like this.
  5. Joshua London

Joshua London New in Town

3FD67135-507C-4D9D-ACE5-EEA36B9C60A2.jpeg D76F4461-B896-4AEE-9B55-E78BABF36B03.jpeg 27F73AD3-CB56-4CC9-A788-70F4BAFC9AB1.jpeg 10CAEF26-BA1F-48B0-9B74-768870DD1A50.jpeg Was in the mood to wear my more recently acquired “vintage” Adam Mainliner. I’d been debating having it touched up with a new ribbon...but I think I rather like it as is. Haven’t fully decided.

6. steur

steur

Hat and Rehat and Wyldkarma like this.
  7. Short Balding Guy

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  8. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

Thanks Eric. Yes, it's muggy here and was already over 70 when I got up at 6. Sounds like this week is going to get back to the cool mornings after tonight. That will be nice. I like felt hat mornings and straw hat afternoons. Ha ha.

Thanks for the info Eric. I was very sad when I opened up that box at the thrift store and there was no hat in it. Because the first box I opened there that day did have a hat in it. Oh well. I pretty much couldn't resist the box in any case. Now if a Stratoliner would just show up I'd be prepared.

Thanks,
    Michael

Hat and Rehat and Rmccamey like this.
  9. Short Balding Guy

[​IMG]

Could not resist showcasing a pic of Alan with his notable curved brim style. I tip the brim of my hat in his direction this morning for style.

quikrick, steur, hatsRme and 15 others like this.
  10. DOGMAN

DOGMAN One Too Many

Pulling weeds this morning under my sign.Hat is a cheap estate sale find.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

quikrick, steur, hatsRme and 19 others like this.
  11. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

Thanks for the link to the box thread, Eric. And the photo of Alan's hat with fenders. That is quite a swoop. I might have to try storing a different hat of the same dimensions in the box, just to see the effect.

Thanks,
    Michael

Rmccamey and Short Balding Guy like this.
  12. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

We took our MG along to a classic car show today. Given the glorious weather it was shirt sleeve order, so how could I not wear my MG shirt?

MG Shirt 005.JPG

What you can't see very clearly are the MG buttons that my missus made from lapel pins.

MG Shirt 001.JPG

As always, I need to digress a little. For a long time I've been after a Stratoliner, but whether it's a felt or straw, I do want the Strat pin on the hatband. They are easily available in the US, but shipping charges and added import duty make that an expensive option. So I'm just keeping an eye out at festivals and elsewhere. It's the pin that I want, Esther made a fabulous Strat clone.
    I was think about that this morning, when my wife said, "Penny for your thoughts." I told her about the pin. As we were leaving she handed me my Biltmore. Stratoliner, who needs a Stratoliner?

MG hat pin 001.JPG

quikrick, steur, hatsRme and 14 others like this.
  13. Wyldkarma

Wyldkarma One Too Many

Michael A likes this.
  14. Hat and Rehat

Hat and Rehat Call Me a Cab

I'm heading to the Mile High Flea Market to evaluate the prospects of a weekend hat store. I cant seem to choose between the Stratoliner and stingy Borsalino for the morning, but the Stetson straw is going for the afternoon.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

quikrick, steur, hatsRme and 16 others like this.
  15. jonesy86

jonesy86 Call Me a Cab

I have one of these Mayser Panama hats with a blue ribbon, and like it very much. The adhesive reinforced crown at the pinch makes it a bit more sturdy, so I sometimes wear it to the beach.
    [emoji3577]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Steve1857

Steve1857 My Mail is Forwarded Here

They're sturdy straws. A blue ribbon sounds nice.
    I think I have too many clothes on for the beaches you frequent, Jonesy [emoji4]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  17. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes Call Me a Cab

The Adam is killer. Are the ribbons original?

18. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes Call Me a Cab

Wyldkarma likes this.
  19. Short Balding Guy

Yes. Below is a pic I took long ago of a stack of light hued Adam hats. (Edit: I believe their is a Lee hat in the stack if my memory is not failing.) I have dark hues but need a family shot. :eek:

[​IMG]

Best, Eric -

quikrick, steur, hatsRme and 17 others like this.
  20. Steve1857

Steve1857 My Mail is Forwarded Here

As always Eric, some super hats there of various hues and eye catching ribbons.

Another object that caught my eye is that fantastic print in the background. Bing Crosby promoting Stetson Whippets. Wow! Where did you pick that up?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk