Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

fabiovenhorst

Call Me a Cab
Vintage Mallory Ten Pliafelt today
43628320_2814519078582579_7737509404810936320_o.jpg

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
1910s Stetson with my new 1916-1922 Oviatt sport coat
2a1a3f77446672f4d23305621746c16b.jpg
2b809cf0b169bc6043ff6a9f5780c71d.jpg
570cb063e563a14564a9484ff08103d6.jpg
747c9c4213be05d963530829ceee88e6.jpg
0e99c9aafe74412702f19077d5dccc46.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Super hat and coat pairing, Justin. Both are great finds.

This hat was made in Monza a few years ago by S.C.M. Let's say thirty, maybe more
k1xg11.jpg

Marked "Superiore" like others in my collection, it has the following indications in the inside sweatband "Qualità superiore pesco" "Colore :Blu" On the sweatband "Lepre Garantita"
24g6stk.jpg

The felt is of a deep blue and the surface has a "peachy" touch
11hyyrl.jpg

The dimensions are generous with the crown of medium height
2q01q21.jpg

Finished in an exemplary manner is a product of the high quality Monza hats
mbidkg.jpg

I like blue hats and this one has a very "special shade of blue
Let's say many thanks for the likes and appreciation on the "Charles Hatters" in Talpa lustee short hair finish
Beautiful color and finish on this one, Daniele. Great outfit too. You are looking ready for the autumn season.

Michael

This hat was made in Monza a few years ago by S.C.M. Let's say thirty, maybe more
k1xg11.jpg

Marked "Superiore" like others in my collection, it has the following indications in the inside sweatband "Qualità superiore pesco" "Colore :Blu" On the sweatband "Lepre Garantita"
24g6stk.jpg

The felt is of a deep blue and the surface has a "peachy" touch
11hyyrl.jpg

The dimensions are generous with the crown of medium height
2q01q21.jpg

Finished in an exemplary manner is a product of the high quality Monza hats
mbidkg.jpg

I like blue hats and this one has a very "special shade of blue
Let's say many thanks for the likes and appreciation on the "Charles Hatters" in Talpa lustee short hair finish

That color is wonderful. It’s so rich and the texture of the felt is a perfect pairing. Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey, I've read that Pilgrims are a mix of hare and rabbit. I bought a hat with such a mix, and to me the felt was a little rough and did not want to obey instructions.
How is a Pilgrim's felt? I have been thinking of buying one, just to know I have one. Are they worth it? Wouldn't a hare/rabbit mix felt get wonky if it got wet?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Steve can tell you at how excellent vintage European hats are are and beaver was rarely used in them. Hare and rabbit blend can be very soft and very compliant. Many of the great US made hats of yesteryear were also hare and/or rabbit. The problem, as I see it, is that hat bodies and felting just aren’t what they used to be. There’s been lots of conversations about why; the end of mercury in the process, the quality of raw materials, etc. I don’t know what the answer is, but modern felt is generally (I haven’t tried them all so???) a pale shadow of what it once was. The modern FEPSA rabbit/hare blend hat you are referring to (I think) shouldn’t dissuade you from vintage hats of that blend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Hey, I've read that Pilgrims are a mix of hare and rabbit. I bought a hat with such a mix, and to me the felt was a little rough and did not want to obey instructions.
How is a Pilgrim's felt? I have been thinking of buying one, just to know I have one. Are they worth it? Wouldn't a hare/rabbit mix felt get wonky if it got wet?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
Max... My experience with this hat is that it stands up to the elements very well. I've gotten it soaked on a number of occasions.

As for putting a crease in, this particular model came out of the factory "pre-creased". My understanding is that Lee was doing that during the '50s."

While most of us in the felt addict gang today probably think of that as a horrid idea, I've seen ads that pushed the factory crease as a real selling point. From the marketing perspective, a permanent crease was suggested to be a convenience. I suspect that it was just one more gimmick to try to shore up the market as hat demand fell.

In his post, Greg pointed out that Lee made hats for Sears' Pilgrim branded lids. I also have a Lee Adventure that was factory creased. I've never tried to re-crease that one or the Pilgrim. I dig them just fine as is.

Both do seem to have a much higher amount of stiffener in them.

Happy hatting!

Matt

Woodtroll

One Too Many

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ