Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

I was in cub scouts, webelos, and then boy scouts. I got the Life badge at the youngest age allowed in the program (13, I think?), then discovered jazz and played in several bands throughout jr. high and high school into college. I think I had 5 years to get the required 5 merit badges and a scout project to complete the eagle scout requirements but never went back to it. I still went on all the camping trips, 50 mile hikes (including walking, camping and canoeing - we built our own canoes) all over the NW and in BC, Canada.

Later I was a co-scoutmaster for the younger boys. I was surprised to see the things we used to do all the time weren't allowed in the program anymore. Overnight campouts were rare. Week-long, 50 mile hikes unheard of, etc. What the program has devolved into today I wouldn't even recommend to my nephews.... just come camping with the family.

I went to Salem his morning for a chiropractor appt. A cool 58°F this a.m. put me in my newly received cap from Keith Lo Bue at the Well Dressed Head. Made from 1850s-1890s overshot wool/cotton in a blue/cream colorway. Sweet cap all around with a buffalo leather sweatband.
View attachment 255566

How times have changed. For fundraising we would cut, split, deliver, and stack firewood. A bunch of kids running chainsaws, limbing trees with axes, swinging mauls, riding in the bed of pickups on top of a load of wood: they’d probably arrest you if you tried that today.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Pheonix Hat Company-Arizona at my local beach today. The felt color is called Sand after all.
IMG_1206.jpg
IMG_1210.jpg
IMG_1192.jpg
IMG_1214.jpg
IMG_5543.jpeg

View attachment 254538

Borsalino Qualita Supreme - Feather Weight
Super light and thin brown felt
5 inch open crown - 4 1/2 as shaped
2 1/2 raw edge brim front - 2 1/4 sides
7/8 matching grosgrain ribbon
2 inch brown sweat
Oil skin liner tip

Here is the ultra thin, ultra light Borsalino Qualita Supreme Feather Weight straight out of its “coffin box”. I’ve been after one of these in a more traditional color and style ever since I acquired two oddball Coffin hats earlier in the year. My wife, who had intercepted this one when it arrived and held for my birthday.... Did not know how to roll and place it back in its box. So this one came out of its box pretty much scrunched into a ball. I thought for sure it would need a ton of steam to get it into a reasonable shape. However after a quick hand shaping and sitting out for a bit.. it really took form. A bit of steam would likely smooth out some of the less than perfect areas. However I am quite impressed how well it shaped without. Sure it is a fact that you have to give up some structure stability with a felt this thin and light... but all and all I really couldn’t be happier with this hat.

View attachment 254539 View attachment 254540 View attachment 254541

Im not sure the age of this hat.. but the oil skin liner and tiny piece of manufacturing tag could be a hint.

View attachment 254542 View attachment 254547

An extra cool bonus with this hat in addition to the coffin box is this instruction pamphlet that was included in the box that explains how the owner should unroll and steam their new hat into shape after they arrived home with it.

View attachment 254546

View attachment 254545 View attachment 254544

I’m looking forward to comparing this feather weight to the extra light weight black Borsalino I found a few weeks back.

View attachment 254543
Lovely find, Joe. I really like these lightweight coffin box hats. And the paperwork along with is a bonus. The suprema quality and liner logo are somewhat later, but not much. I recently found one with a cerrated roll label, so probably early to mid sixties fot this one as well.

Barbisio gills: the best in the world. Good to see it and you, Bowen!
Thanks, Stefan. Both hats I wore that day are purt near mint condition. Too bad they all can’t be, right?
If all them men from the past owned 40 or 50 hats apiece, like they were supposed to, they wouldn’t have been so apt to wear ‘em out!
:)
You've said it! At least we don't run the risk of that being said about us in the future!

View attachment 254716

Stetson 3X Beaver Quality - Steel Grey (1950s ?)
6 inch open crown - rakish 5 to 4 inch as shaped
1 7/8 Black Grosgrain Ribbon with Box Bow treatment.
2 1/8 brim with 1/8 accented bound edge

After a much appreciated nudging by @M Hatman I decided to pull the trigger on this Stetson 3X Beaver Quality (along with a short brimmed Strat) We are estimating mid 1950s on this one. When it arrived the nearly 6 inch open crown looked almost freakish with the short brim. But I think I managed to settle on a shape I like here. The Steel grey felt has some blue tones is real nice dense and smooth... I would say very similar to my 50s whippet In quality. And it has GILLs! Very nice hat over all. View attachment 254711 View attachment 254712 View attachment 254713 View attachment 254714 View attachment 254709 View attachment 254708 View attachment 254710 View attachment 254715 View attachment 254717
Nice catch and a tall crown indeed. The bow is called a boxpleat... oh never mind.
Found a leftover photo of my storm day hat that didn't get uploaded before I lost my net access.
Resistol Wide Country
IMG_5815 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_5816 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_5821 by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Have a good evening,
Michael
Good looking hat, Michael. Resistol knew how to make them.

Epic, Jonathan. Magnificent colour combination.

As it happens, I bought a hammock a couple of weeks ago. Need to find two suitable trees to hang it from.

Looks good.

Thanks Jonathon. I did manage to come up with a storm related injury. I was out biking the day after the storm and skidded out on some wet leaves while trying to turn off the path to go around a downed free. Crunched my shoulder and it is still pretty much non-functional. But I did manage some hat shots this morning with the other arm.

Wormser 10 Star
IMG_5844 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_5843 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_5845 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_5846 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Have a good day all,
Michael
Another winner, Michael. These Wormser hats always look so good in the pics.

Wearing a Resistol Westerner that I converted a couple of years back, ('70s vintage?) I converted it to a thin ribbon Strat clone.

Conversion-Resistol-thin-ribbon-2-A.jpg

Conversion-Resistol-thin-ribbon-1-A.jpg

Before: it came to me in a crushed up condition and was missing the ribbon and the sweat was toast

Resistol-Western-Silverbelly-6.jpg

Resistol-Western-Silverbelly-5-A.jpg

Now: New sweat, ribbon, and brim binding. I put the original liner, size tag, and sweat bow back in the hat
Conversion-Resistol-thin-ribbon-5-A.jpg

Conversion-Resistol-thin-ribbon-6-A.jpg

The cat in the picture is our neighborhood moocher that comes around to be fed and to sleep on our porch.
The cat feels as welcome as the stray hats, Terry!

Last edited:
Nice, Fabio. We don't see many Plumbeo coloured ones.

That's certainly one to be pleased about, Brent.

Quick trip to the post office in this P.C. Habig Wien:
View attachment 254978

Making the wife happy by mailing out a hat today.
Good to see that one again, Jonathan.

Thanks Joe. I'm afraid the shoulder will be slow going.

Today it's just another old grey hat.
IMG_5944 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_5927 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_5929 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_5925 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_5926 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_5931 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Have a good day, all,
Michael
Not just any grey hat, Michael: it's Super-Lux!

View attachment 255183 This is an Adam Strat clone that I’ve upsized from a large size 7 into a smallish 7 1/4 using my new Randal Alan composite hat block.
As you can see, the crown is still nice and square with no taper. Love it!
Can’t accomplish this feat without a block. A big Thanks to Randal’s block and @T.Jones, for recommending it.
View attachment 255182 View attachment 255184

This is my second attempt at using the block. My first hat isn’t done yet, but the hat body turned out even better because it wasn’t as small as this hat. For the first one I Have to sew in a sweat, sew on a hat band, sew on some binding and sew in a liner. Lots of work, but well worth the trouble...if you have the patience to learn a new skill.
This second hat was one I couldn’t sell because of its size and the sweat was dry and cracked, plus it had a case of moth damage. I repaired the moth divots and tracking.
Because of the block and lots of work I can now add this hat to my collection of 40s Adam fedoras. I think I have all the quality levels of that decade. Royal, Executive and Majestic. If there are others then someone might hopefully let me know.
Job well done, Randall!

Cool enough for rain and felt in WA State today.

50's Mallory 15 with a suede style finish and Duplex Edge

View attachment 255195 View attachment 255196 View attachment 255197 View attachment 255198
That's a real jawdropper, Garrett!

Cool enough for felt here, too, Garrett. Down to about 68°F here this morning.

Going to have lunch with my daughter today after her kung fu class.

VS/Art Fawcett Glacier felt with a FL monogrammed shirt. Thanks @Bill Hughes !

View attachment 255356
Looks great, Doug.
When you travel with enough straw hats for all your siblings...

View attachment 255367
Just make sure you get them all back, Bill!

That ribbon colour probably shouldn't work, but it does all the same.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good day folks. I was out for a dog soirree this morning in a Champ Lightweight. Great hat for the circumstances (cooler and very humid).

i-QKRj9RM-M.jpg

Essential grocery shopping in a Tropicool panama. How is it every trip to the grocery store is well over $150.00? No butcher, fromagerie and local brewery stops. Dang, I did not even get fancy-dancy groceries.

i-R8nPMDK-M.jpg

Cheers this morning from Minnesota. Be safe, be strong and see you on the streets soon, Eric -

Lovely find, Joe. I really like these lightweight coffin box hats. And the paperwork along with is a bonus. The suprema quality and liner logo are somewhat later, but not much. I recently found one with a cerrated roll label, so probably early to mid sixties fot this one as well.

Unfortunate the tag was gone from this one. However I trust your assessment. I want to do a side by side with my light weight black one from a few weeks ago.

Nice catch and a tall crown indeed. The bow is called a boxpleat... oh never mind.

Boxpleat... Haha. Added to Randall’s list. LOL. Took me a bit to get it a shape I was comfortable with. A simple center crease was gargantuan. I know it might sound blasphemous... it’s a bit tall for my everyday taste. But we all need some special ones outside our comfort zones.

That ribbon colour probably shouldn't work, but it does all the same.

I love it... it does quite well. When I was wearing it the other day I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the window coming out of the grocery and hadn’t realized how well it complimented the aqua and orange of my Miami Dolphins face mask. Was all so well unintentionally put together with the dark aqua shirt I had on. ;)

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
This week's harvest. Finally some cooler weather (and a good deal of rain).
Brent (thanks to @BobHufford). Glorious blue! View attachment 255621
Mayser Spezial

View attachment 255622
Dobbs unlined
View attachment 255623
Huber's panama
View attachment 255624
Wormser Royal Luxury

View attachment 255625
Borsalino Turchese
View attachment 255626
Wormser (again)
View attachment 255627
Those are all killer! I’m dying’ here! Especially the blue one you got from Bob...and the dove gray Wormser, and the Borsa...and...hard to breathe...not...gonna...make.....it.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Good day folks. I was out for a dog soirree this morning in a Champ Lightweight. Great hat for the circumstances (cooler and very humid).

i-QKRj9RM-M.jpg

Essential grocery shopping in a Tropicool panama. How is it every trip to the grocery store is well over $150.00? No butcher, fromagerie and local brewery stops. Dang, I did not even get fancy-dancy groceries.

i-R8nPMDK-M.jpg

Cheers this morning from Minnesota. Be safe, be strong and see you on the streets soon, Eric -

Just got back from grocery shopping today, and got ripped off for $150, as well! Fanciest thing on my list? Nabisco mixed fruit Newton’s. Most expensive? A big bag of frozen fried chicken breast.
(Hey, I’m a bachelor!) :)

Stetson Premier
F212BA95-50E2-488C-9BBF-4B7BB76086EF.jpeg
C8A9FD84-116E-4E36-9C74-05D9D549DE22.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner