Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

View attachment 350437 Finally!!!
Got this super sweet late 40s 7X CB in today! No stains, no moth damage, No spots, fits perfectly with no stretching. Rare for me, but Clear Beaver doesn’t shrink a bit. Got a big story to tell on that subject with a mid 50s 7X CB I bought a long while back. Still working on it. Eat up with moth bites, but I sanded them all out.
All I had to do with this one is pay $400 on EBay and wait impatiently for it to arrive then steam shape and very lightly sponge a few spots where the corners were on the diamond crease.
Didn’t like how deeply it was creased so took steam to get out the old creased corners.
Included a few pics of a 3X BQ “Fifteen” for comparison. The felt of this one is much much smoother, but the exact same thickness and malleability.
Very soft felt. Unlike my 50s 7X which is very dense, thick and stiff.
I watched this hat sell to someone in China for $450. I bid $425. 30 mins. Later I got an email from the seller offering a second chance opportunity to buy. Said I would for $400 and asked if she could bring the shipping cost down. She did, so I pounced!!!
Said she declined the first guy’s bid ‘cause she doesn’t ship overseas.
Lucky me!
View attachment 350440 View attachment 350444 View attachment 350447
So, up brim, or down? Think I like down best, but both are great.
View attachment 350442 View attachment 350445
Wonderful hat Randall. Congratulations

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
Stets Arminto
Frame-22-07-2021-04-24-38.jpg

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Very nice hat... congratulations. Can you post a photo of the manufacturing tag?
Thanks, Alan
Sure. I think the sweatband is in good enough condition to fold out without fear. Whatever you learn from it, let me know.

Attachments

• F2D427D8-1F35-4299-AB3A-DA292FA7CD03.jpeg
    F2D427D8-1F35-4299-AB3A-DA292FA7CD03.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 204
  • B79A0F6D-DA43-43C7-9599-352BC53B6420.jpeg
    B79A0F6D-DA43-43C7-9599-352BC53B6420.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 214
Thanks, Alan
Sure. I think the sweatband is in good enough condition to fold out without fear. Whatever you learn from it, let me know.

Thank you for sharing and glad you were able to photograph it safely. I am always interested in the maker marks and tags but I've learned to peek very carefully. Intriguing little hiccup in the sweatband stitching, where the pitch gets very fine for an inch or so. I don't have much to further refine the age - but it sure is a swell hat. Wear it happily and in good health.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for sharing and glad you were able to photograph it safely. I am always interested in the maker marks and tags but I've learned to peek very carefully. Intriguing little hiccup in the sweatband stitching, where the pitch gets very fine for an inch or so. I don't have much to further refine the age - but it sure is a swell hat. Wear it happily and in good health.

Thanks anyway, Alan. I noticed that spot, too. I’ve imagined that a pretty lil office assistant walked by while the sweatband guy was at work.

Well, because there’s an ambiguous 9 written in pencil on the tag, I'm just gonna go ahead and call it a 49 model. Silly? Sure. :)

rclark

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 350437 Finally!!!
Got this super sweet late 40s 7X CB in today! No stains, no moth damage, No spots, fits perfectly with no stretching. Rare for me, but Clear Beaver doesn’t shrink a bit. Got a big story to tell on that subject with a mid 50s 7X CB I bought a long while back. Still working on it. Eat up with moth bites, but I sanded them all out.
All I had to do with this one is pay $400 on EBay and wait impatiently for it to arrive then steam shape and very lightly sponge a few spots where the corners were on the diamond crease.
Didn’t like how deeply it was creased so took steam to get out the old creased corners.
Included a few pics of a 3X BQ “Fifteen” for comparison. The felt of this one is much much smoother, but the exact same thickness and malleability.
Very soft felt. Unlike my 50s 7X which is very dense, thick and stiff.
I watched this hat sell to someone in China for $450. I bid $425. 30 mins. Later I got an email from the seller offering a second chance opportunity to buy. Said I would for $400 and asked if she could bring the shipping cost down. She did, so I pounced!!!
Said she declined the first guy’s bid ‘cause she doesn’t ship overseas.
Lucky me!
View attachment 350440 View attachment 350444 View attachment 350447
So, up brim, or down? Think I like down best, but both are great.
View attachment 350442 View attachment 350445
Fantastic hat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ