Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
This past week the evenings were cool and I wore a Stetson 7X late evening.

i-k4wfRf3-M.jpg

Cooler weather yesterday evening had me wearing a green homburg.

i-bFMcQ8d-M.jpg

i-MBGdpvP-M.jpg

i-kkVs7wS-M.jpg

This morning a walk and an essential errand (pick-up freshly roasted coffee) in a Stetson Whippet.

i-mjxzB68-M.jpg

i-fStpHRL-M.jpg

I have been enjoying the coffee under the brim of a Stetson Royal DeLuxe Open Road.

i-hJcCHnw-M.jpg

i-HHRZ3bD-M.jpg

i-Fxvsf8f-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Somewhat cooler today, so was able to pop on a hat. I chose this fairly modern Linea-Panizza President because Marcel @Pellie wanted to see it in connection with a similar one in grey he recently found.

20220911_162541.jpg

It's actually of much better quality than I remembered. I picked it up in a thrift store 5 years ago. At the time, Daniele said it was probably from the 90s.

20220911_162930.jpg

Quite a thin, stiff felt. Brim is 5cm, and crown 10cm to the front crease. Particularly like the chocolate brown colour and the reddish-brown of the ribbon.

I'm glad I dug it out again. Think I'll be wearing this one more often for a while. Thanks Marcel :)

20220911_162543.jpg

Pellie

One Too Many
Somewhat cooler today, so was able to pop on a hat. I chose this fairly modern Linea-Panizza President because Marcel @Pellie wanted to see it in connection with a similar one in grey he recently found.

View attachment 450459

It's actually of much better quality than I remembered. I picked it up in a thrift store 5 years ago. At the time, Daniele said it was probably from the 90s.

View attachment 450460

Quite a thin, stiff felt. Brim is 5cm, and crown 10cm to the front crease. Particularly like the chocolate brown colour and the reddish-brown of the ribbon.

I'm glad I dug it out again. Think I'll be wearing this one more often for a while. Thanks Marcel :)

View attachment 450461
I think there is nothing wrong with that one :)

i-k4wfRf3-M.jpg

i-bFMcQ8d-M.jpg

i-MBGdpvP-M.jpg

i-kkVs7wS-M.jpg

This morning a walk and an essential errand (pick-up freshly roasted coffee) in a Stetson Whippet.

i-mjxzB68-M.jpg

i-fStpHRL-M.jpg

I have been enjoying the coffee under the brim of a Stetson Royal DeLuxe Open Road.

i-hJcCHnw-M.jpg

i-HHRZ3bD-M.jpg

i-Fxvsf8f-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Incredible parade, as per usual. That old Dobbs homburg earned a gasp and a smile: what a hat! It really takes something special to stand out amongst all your other wonderful hats. Thank you for sharing.

i-k4wfRf3-M.jpg

i-bFMcQ8d-M.jpg

i-MBGdpvP-M.jpg

i-kkVs7wS-M.jpg

i-mjxzB68-M.jpg

i-fStpHRL-M.jpg

i-hJcCHnw-M.jpg

i-HHRZ3bD-M.jpg

i-Fxvsf8f-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
Loving the lineup today, Eric.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love seeing your Northwest hats. I often hear that Gannon is the best around these days, but every time I see a Northwest, I wonder if he really has anything over the guy (is it Mike?) from Northwest.
I have two Gannon hats in my collection. The first is this natural. I was attracted to the color combination and it is still one a enjoy wearing.

1F5307F7-0165-4F7C-81A5-B119563EA5CF.jpeg
457B2EE2-05E9-4FD6-A192-9FD187DA4A10.jpeg
7E4CE716-FFA8-4FF5-B45F-478CC25FEEE4.jpeg

The second is a hat I acquired from Doug Berry a former member of the lounge. This is Doug wearing the hat.

E1EA9ADF-4FEA-4781-B3E5-525BE727D05A.jpeg
54EC8DDF-8640-4051-B106-A29F9F282A36.jpeg

This old dye black cherry was a size 7 1/2. I wear a loose 7 1/8 or snug 7 1/4. since it was originally a Gannon Hat Co. hat, I contacted Mike Gannon to see what could be done. He said nothing could be done that would look good. He said the original break line would always be noticeable.

Therefore I contacted Art Fawcett. He said he would make it work and the break would not be an issue. He was a man of his word. It fits perfectly and he used the original break line. Basically, he shrunk the hat. Since he rebuilt the hat I now call it an Art Fawcett and never call it a Gannon.

63DD665D-5D64-426B-BB19-1605D0A27395.jpeg
A1A2FCBE-823E-4D97-A2EE-A122DF7E364B.jpeg
BA92A38F-235F-46DC-B907-7E3E09E9181B.jpeg

There has been one other occasion I contacted Mike Gannon. This time it was to do a custom Panama and again he couldn’t accommodate me. He said he didn’t know how to make it work like I wanted. So I called Art Fawcett. He was ramping down for his retirement and suggested Mike Miller of Northwest Hats. Art said Mike Miller would have been able to handle the old Dye Black Cherry like he did. When I contacted Mike about the Panama, he said he had never done anything like I wanted so lets give it a try. It turned out great. It was a Montescrist straw with a pretty standard fedora style. But I wanted a pronounced ridge like a Optima on top of the crown.

90747F4A-AACE-48B6-BA00-2889835ECCCA.jpeg
9C5C40B6-49EE-4119-B447-A983CEF38040.jpeg

I really like the Gannon Hat I have. And if Mike Gannon comes up with a really unique combination like the first hat I posted I'll get another. But.... Mike Miller has always been able to deliver what I wanted. Mike Gannon has not. Therefore I call Mike Miller or Northwest Hats "my hatter." He has made me 12 felts and 11 straws to date. Currently. I have two straws and two felts in queue. They always fit perfectly and the quality of workmanship is top shelf.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday afternoon yard stuff and lounging on a deck chair was taken under a Fedora Lounge Akubra Campdraft (2.5" brim in bluegrass felt)version.

i-GDmDGtR-M.jpg

I removed the liner long ago.

i-pBbqjgP-M.jpg

A cool morning finds me out and about early on this thin ribbon day. I started with a walkabout in a Stetson Stratoliner (silverbelly).

i-d9zMjJP-M.jpg

Home again. Sipping coffee while cooling down in the yard under the brim of a Mallory Dallas.

i-2qTdc8z-M.jpg

Yet another thin ribbon to rake out a back garden removing tomatoes that did not grow this year - a Stetson 50's Stratoliner.

i-TbPWVDc-M.jpg

i-K8K9D52-M.jpg

i-PVS7GCg-M.jpg

Here are a couple comparison pics of the earlier Stratoliner and Mallory.

i-6QQDMWj-M.jpg

i-NZR5Dc6-M.jpg

Thin ribbon hat day rocks, Eric -

Last edited:

The Shoe

One Too Many
I have two Gannon hats in my collection. The first is this natural. I was attracted to the color combination and it is still one a enjoy wearing.

View attachment 450549 View attachment 450562 View attachment 450563

The second is a hat I acquired from Doug Berry a former member of the lounge. This is Doug wearing the hat.

View attachment 450551 View attachment 450552

This old dye black cherry was a size 7 1/2. I wear a loose 7 1/8 or snug 7 1/4. since it was originally a Gannon Hat Co. hat, I contacted Mike Gannon to see what could be done. He said nothing could be done that would look good. He said the original break line would always be noticeable.

Therefore I contacted Art Fawcett. He said he would make it work and the break would not be an issue. He was a man of his word. It fits perfectly and he used the original break line. Basically, he shrunk the hat. Since he rebuilt the hat I now call it an Art Fawcett and never call it a Gannon.

View attachment 450550 View attachment 450560 View attachment 450559

There has been one other occasion I contacted Mike Gannon. This time it was to do a custom Panama and again he couldn’t accommodate me. He said he didn’t know how to make it work like I wanted. So I called Art Fawcett. He was ramping down for his retirement and suggested Mike Miller of Northwest Hats. Art said Mike Miller would have been able to handle the old Dye Black Cherry like he did. When I contacted Mike about the Panama, he said he had never done anything like I wanted so lets give it a try. It turned out great. It was a Montescrist straw with a pretty standard fedora style. But I wanted a pronounced ridge like a Optima on top of the crown.

View attachment 450564 View attachment 450566

I really like the Gannon Hat I have. And if Mike Gannon comes up with a really unique combination like the first hat I posted I'll get another. But.... Mike Miller has always been able to deliver what I wanted. Mike Gannon has not. Therefore I call Mike Miller or Northwest Hats "my hatter." He has made me 12 felts and 11 straws to date. Currently. I have two straws and two felts in queue. They always fit perfectly and the quality of workmanship is top shelf.
I guess the takeaway from that is that Gannon is not willing to produce anything unless he can guarantee it’s up to his exacting standards, whereas Mike Miller is up for any challenge, and skilled enough to be confident of getting a good result. Since they were both up front with you, you can’t really fault either of them.

Gary in NC

One of the Regulars
Royal Stetson for the trip to Asheville today. I just got through putting a little stretch on it so it’ll be more comfortable. I think this is going to work out just fine.
C11627E6-842E-45B5-BB9C-68C745F27D5B.jpeg

66525259-E890-4CCB-87E5-BD766C2C8054.jpeg

Edit: I changed the picture of me because after looking at the first one I realized you could see right up my nose.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto