Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I like that radio! What's the make?
It's a Ferguson, one of the oldest electronics companies in the United Kingdom. It was originally an American–Canadian pre-War company making radio sets for the U.K. market based upon contemporary American models.

gary.jpeg
Now there's a picture to cheer anyone up.
Hogmanay is the Scots word for the last day of the year and represents the celebration of the new year, the Scottish way. While the exact origins of Hogmanay are unclear it is thought that it is related to Norse and Gaelic traditions.
Wishing you a speedy recovery Gary and this time next year will we see you in a kilt celebrating Hogmanay by dancing a Highland Fling, where else, but beautiful Edinburgh, the Scottish capital city?

Something that just came to mind Gary. When I attended my first outpatients appointment after the operation, my surgeon told me to avoid impact exercise such a jogging. He strongly recommended anything that rotated the hip, like cycling and swimming. It just so happens that my good lady has a vintage push bike and being a lady's bike, it has no crossbar, so easy for a new hip to deal with. The basket is ideal for grocery shopping and the new hip won't give you a turn of speed that could lose your hat in the wind.
hats 014.JPG

Last edited:

Gary in NC

One of the Regulars
Glad to see you starting your recovery, Gary. Take it easy and do your PT. By the way your hat really dresses up your hospital gown. New hip new year!

Thank you. Yes I’ll be good and follow the rules. My wife and daughter will see to that. Also my physical therapist is a long-time personal friend, and he’s already called me to let me know he got the referral. He’ll know if I’ve been bad between appointments because he’s certain to be getting reports from my wife and daughter. He’s coming to my house on Saturday to get me started off, and then he’ll be torturing me in his office going forward.

And yes I lucked out that the hat pairs well with the hospital gown!

Gary in NC

One of the Regulars
It's a Ferguson, one of the oldest electronics companies in the United Kingdom. It was originally an American–Canadian pre-War company making radio sets for the U.K. market based upon contemporary American models.

View attachment 476876
Now there's a picture to cheer anyone up.
Hogmanay is the Scots word for the last day of the year and represents the celebration of the new year, the Scottish way. While the exact origins of Hogmanay are unclear it is thought that it is related to Norse and Gaelic traditions.
Wishing you a speedy recovery Gary and this time next year will we see you in a kilt celebrating Hogmanay by dancing a Highland Fling, where else, but beautiful Edinburgh, the Scottish capital city?

Something that just came to mind Gary. When I attended my first outpatients appointment after the operation, my surgeon told me to avoid impact exercise such a jogging. He strongly recommended anything that rotated the hip, like cycling and swimming. It just so happens that my good lady has a vintage push bike and being a lady's bike, it has no crossbar, so easy for a new hip to deal with. The basket is ideal for grocery shopping and the new hip won't give you a turn of speed that could lose your hat in the wind.
View attachment 476878

How do you do that? You’re always impeccably matched from your hats to your shoes, and now you’ve managed to add the perfect bicycle to pair with the outfit.

And thanks for the tip. I think riding my bicycle (step-through frame thank goodness) and taking daily walks through our downtown may be a good plan. The hat I’m wearing here at the hospital is one of the most wind resistant ones I have when the brim is up.

Gary in NC

One of the Regulars
View attachment 476817

Lord Biltmore | Sky-Rider
Soft Light-weight light grey felt
4 3/4 crown as shaped (about 5 open)
1 inch silver grosgrain ribbon
2 1/2 brim with bound edge
Carter removable sweatband system

Second of the five Canadian hat stack. If yesterday I went with the hat that needed the least work… today is the one that probably needed/needs the most. However was likely one of the finest of the bunch when new. Which is why this one looks like it got some wear. Very dirty from doffing stains on the crown as well as what appears to have been a hole worn clear through the brim…. Probably from holding the hat between two fingers. It appears a repair was attempted at some point as the hole was held together with a glob of glue that is starting to fall off. I started off giving a good brushing to the felt..l followed by working over the felt with a dry hat sponge to try and remove some of the discoloration.

I then made my first attempt at repairing the patch. After sanding down the old glue patch. I used some ideas I got from @belfastboy. I used sandpaper on the felt to collect my own loose felt. I sprayed some spray adhesive onto a paper plate and collected it onto a toothpick and slowly spread glue where it needed to go. Starting with the toothpick I dabbed loose felt into the glue area and continued to dab and pack and pat more loose felt into the blob of glue and felt. Let dry.. sand down and repeat.

The hat itself.. other than the 1 inch ribbon… has specs similar to the Stratoliner… it is a super light weight and very malleable felt. One very special feature it includes the Carter Cushioned Leather removable Sweat system that you see old old Stephen L Stetson

View attachment 476819 View attachment 476820
I’m not sure if I made it better or worse. LOL. I may continue to work on this as I may have better results with more patience and drying time.

View attachment 476821 View attachment 476822

I’ve come back to these pictures and I think you’ve done a great job so far with the repair. It’s definitely better than the before pictures, and with a few more repeats of your process I think the patch will hardly be noticeable at all. I like it.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I'm wearing another of my hat creations this a.m. This one started out as a way too small Resistol Stagecoach in Bark Brown. This is another one that a generous Lounger gave to me. I converted this one and blocked it up two sizes larger. It now sports a 5 3/4 open crown that's creased to my preferred deep Tear drop. The brim is 2 5/8 wide that's been flanged on a #19 brim flange. I also gave the hat a brushed finish. My ribbon and bow work is black at 1 1/2 inches wide...

Before:
IMG-20191023-065913826.jpg

On the block:
IMG-20191023-073215922.jpg

Trimmed to 2 5/8:
IMG-20191025-072014509.jpg

Completed: Close up of the Brushed finish and bow work:
Bark-Brown-Conversion-Resistol-Long-Hair-1-A.jpg

Bark-Brown-Conversion-Resistol-Long-Hair-3-A.jpg

Bark-Brown-Conversion-Resistol-Long-Hair-4-A.jpg

Bark-Brown-Conversion-Resistol-Long-Hair-5-A.jpg

On the head:
Bark-Brown-Conversion-Resistol-Long-Hair-10-A.jpg

Bark-Brown-Conversion-Resistol-Long-Hair-8-A.jpg

B&W:
Bark-Brown-Conversion-Resistol-Long-Hair-7-A.jpg

Everyone can use a brown fedora in their collection.

I’ve come back to these pictures and I think you’ve done a great job so far with the repair. It’s definitely better than the before pictures, and with a few more repeats of your process I think the patch will hardly be noticeable at all. I like it.
Thank you very much Gary. I appreciate that. I’m glad your surgery went well and you will be home for the New Year.

I'm wearing another of my hat creations this a.m. This one started out as a way too small Resistol Stagecoach in Bark Brown. This is another one that a generous Lounger gave to me. I converted this one and blocked it up two sizes larger. It now sports a 5 3/4 open crown that's creased to my preferred deep Tear drop. The brim is 2 5/8 wide that's been flanged on a #19 brim flange. I also gave the hat a brushed finish. My ribbon and bow work is black at 1 1/2 inches wide...

Before:

On the block:

Trimmed to 2 5/8:

On the head:

B&W:

Yet another remarkable conversion, Terry.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
How do you do that? You’re always impeccably matched from your hats to your shoes, and now you’ve managed to add the perfect bicycle to pair with the outfit.

And thanks for the tip. I think riding my bicycle (step-through frame thank goodness) and taking daily walks through our downtown may be a good plan. The hat I’m wearing here at the hospital is one of the most wind resistant ones I have when the brim is up.
You're a gentleman, Sir, thank you for your kind remarks. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery, but best give next year's marathon a miss.

just one other tip Gary, go back to my x-ray and look at the new hip joint embedded into the femur. My surgeon explained that the fitting has to be so precise, just a fraction out and you will limp. That is why impact exercise should be avoided. You want that new hip joint to stay exactly where your surgeon set it.

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars

Before:

On the block:

Trimmed to 2 5/8:

On the head:

B&W:

I gotta admit, sometimes I get a little sad when I see a good western that "packs it's bags and moves to the big city" (converted to a fedora) but that crocheted hat band and feather - WOW!
That being said, this new hat is really something. Well done, sir. Happy New Year.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I gotta admit, sometimes I get a little sad when I see a good western that "packs it's bags and moves to the big city" (converted to a fedora) but that crocheted hat band and feather - WOW!
That being said, this new hat is really something. Well done, sir. Happy New Year.
Thank you buddy! Much appreciated! I definitely understand where you're coming from because I also do Western hats, but sometimes the Westerns I convert are pretty small in hat size to begin with and I lose a fairly good amount of brim width in the size up and block shape. So it's then that I'll decide to convert it to a fedora. On the other hand, if I can salvage a good amount of brim width, I'll keep it Western....and I have another rule for myself, I don't convert any Western that has a 4 inch brim width.

And a Happy New Year to you too!

Pellie

One Too Many
Thank you this hat has taken on a lot of meaning for me through all of this.

Thank you!

No joke! And thanks!

Oh yeah people are even asking about it here in the hospital. Thank you!

Thanks!

Thank you and I made sure they helped me do a trial run to the bathroom with a walker before it became an emergency. Thanks for sharing that!

Thank you!

Thanks!

Well, I just wanted to report that I made it through the surgery with a brand new hip. It’ll be a bit of effort over the next weeks for recovery but I already feel much better than before the surgery this morning.

I’m thankful we live in a time that these surgeries exist. Some things are better not vintage! I’m also thankful for my wife and daughter who have been making sure I’m comfortable!

Thanks guys for the nice comments and reactions.

View attachment 476790
Be well soon :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points