Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Buffalo's first sunny day since Thanksgiving calls for some sunscreen.

020123_1.jpg

020123_3.jpg

020123_4.jpg

020123_2.jpg

020123_5.jpg

Portis Sterling quality for Sunday go to church meeting today.
View attachment 485047 View attachment 485048 View attachment 485049
That Portis is a Peach, Pal!!!

I was finally able to clearly make out the "RE" on your sunglasses. I live Randolph, and am delighted to report the post-pandemic resumption of their occasional factory clearance sales, which are worth the drive from ANYWHERE if you buy enough. At the most recent sale, last month all sunglasses were $55, or 2/$90; clear lenses (to use for prescription) were about half that.

C'mon up!! Here’s a shot from the last sale… 6B5DDE7A-7188-4315-85C1-6B70EE22D22A.jpeg E5132144-FF2E-4598-8671-CBBB35FA77F9.jpeg

Yamahana

One Too Many
That Portis is a Peach, Pal!!!

I was finally able to clearly make out the "RE" on your sunglasses. I live Randolph, and am delighted to report the post-pandemic resumption of their occasional factory clearance sales, which are worth the drive from ANYWHERE if you buy enough. At the most recent sale, last month all sunglasses were $55, or 2/$90; clear lenses (to use for prescription) were about half that.

C'mon up!! Here’s a shot from the last sale… View attachment 485809 View attachment 485810
Thank you sir!
Unfortunately from AZ I’m a long drive away but those are unbelievable prices on RE sunglasses. I’ve tried all brands as my livelihood depends on keen eyesight in the AZ outdoors. Nothing comes close to RE quality in my opinion. They’re all I’ve worn for years now. The mineral glass lense are pretty much indestructible, they just don’t scratch.
Is the sale over now?

Thank you sir!
Unfortunately from AZ I’m a long drive away but those are unbelievable prices on RE sunglasses. I’ve tried all brands as my livelihood depends on keen eyesight in the AZ outdoors. Nothing comes close to RE quality in my opinion. They’re all I’ve worn for years now. The mineral glass lense are pretty much indestructible, they just don’t scratch.
Is the sale over now?
Yes, it was one-day event last time, but a two-day one a few months ago. As the pictures show, this is truly a factory storeroom sale, not some fancy "outlet store." The random sales are typically only advertised locally, and they always seem to be packed with folks of our age, buying for their kids. I did!

I'll let you know when it happens again. As I said, if you buy enough, it's worth the drive!

buler

I'll Lock Up
Celebrating a wee bit of sunshine on the last day of January with this furry green Mallory. The color comes across differently in each photo - the one with it on my head is most accurate.

I believe this hat was a Fedora Lounge catch on a forward pass from @buler to @Joshbru3 and then a lateral from @Joshbru3 to me, but I'm not certain.

Yes, Alan. You have the progression correct. That beauty did start with me. I actually had passed that hat (and several other great ones) several times in an antique mall. I'd glance at them, but wasn't interested. That was early on when I knew absolutely nothing about really good hats. Glad I finally went back and got them. The perfect brown heather hat was one of those. Some of the nicest felt I've ever held. Glad you are giving it some head time!

B

Yes, Alan. You have the progression correct. That beauty did start with me. I actually had passed that hat (and several other great ones) several times in an antique mall. I'd glance at them, but wasn't interested. That was early on when I knew absolutely nothing about really good hats. Glad I finally went back and got them. The perfect brown heather hat was one of those. Some of the nicest felt I've ever held. Glad you are giving it some head time!

B
Thanks B... it's got a lot to love about it and it fits me perfectly. One of my favorite hats to wear.

MikeinRome

Practically Family
The late 40's Stetson Sovereign Twenty with Mode Edge that I just bought. I posted it in detail on the Stetson Sovereign thread 2 days ago. The seller thought so little of this hat that he crammed it into a little shoe box to send to me.

Attachments

• IMG_20230201_190308_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230201_190308_HDR.jpg
    611.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
Croydon Supreme Quality - not a lot of info on this make. If memory serves @DaveProc found an ad with them looking for a salesman. The address was the same as Miller and Stetson’s NY address… but doesn’t seem like any Stetson manufacturing cues.

I have very little excuse for not wearing this hat more often!

View attachment 485885 View attachment 485886 View attachment 485887 View attachment 485888
View attachment 485891 View attachment 485889 View attachment 485890
Not finding much on Croydon Joe.
There was a Croydon Hats LTD in Canada that looks like it went bankrupt in the 1930s
Then I find references to the New York Croydon you referenced in the late 30s through the early 50s and a few hat ads from the same era
The last references I find are for a "Croydon" stingy by Champ in the 60s
I have not been able to find any trademark or manufacturer info

Last edited:

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
Croydon Supreme Quality - not a lot of info on this make. If memory serves @DaveProc found an ad with them looking for a salesman. The address was the same as Miller and Stetson’s NY address… but doesn’t seem like any Stetson manufacturing cues.

I have very little excuse for not wearing this hat more often!

View attachment 485885 View attachment 485886 View attachment 485887 View attachment 485888
View attachment 485891 View attachment 485889 View attachment 485890

1930-1931 Canada
The_Gazette_Tue__Dec_30__1930_.jpg

The_Gazette_Sat__Jun_13__1931_.jpg

The_Montreal_Daily_Star_Tue__Jun_9__1931_.jpg

United States
The_Kansas_City_Star_Fri__Jun_20__1930_.jpg

The_Potter_Enterprise_Thu__Sep_3__1936_.jpg

The_Wichita_Eagle_Mon__Oct_18__1937_.jpg

The_Potter_Enterprise_Thu__Dec_11__1941_.jpg

The_Gazette_Sun__Mar_26__1961_.jpg

Forum statistics