Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Two new berets arrived today from South Pacific Berets... a small production collaboration between Billy Childish and Flamingo berets of Japan. Grey for the winter we surely have left, and green for the four days of Buffalo spring that comes before summer. Happy vernal equinox to all!
032123.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
TONAK - Formerly Hückel "Zephyr" "Seal Velour" possibly late 1940s. This is a very early Tonak made for the American market. The Velour is still near pre WWII level. Difficult to photograph because of the light absorption.

52760789728_fa2b17e2c0_h.jpg

52760784493_b63783386e_h.jpg

52760792223_e538bfb346_h.jpg

52760311776_68da7cb5bb_h.jpg

52760557039_fdadfe198c_h.jpg

52760803863_d95c26f52a_h.jpg
Inside and out a truly wonderful hat, Steve.

The historical aspect along with the quality and detail of the craftmanship make this early post Hückel Tonak truly desirable.

Love it!

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
New hat day for me today: Lock & Co Voyager Rollable Trilby. Yes, they cost. But I love these when I travel. They are also extremely lightweight and comfortable, so much so that I can wear them well into Spring and even early summer, depending. This is the charcoal grey purchased in the St Pat's Delmonico Hatter Sale. I also have a jet black I bought in London last fall. I like them so much I may add a shade of brown.
IMG_6351.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, 'tis Spring!
and the bird is on the wing!
(My word, how absurd! I thought the wing was on the bird!) View attachment 499986 View attachment 499981 View attachment 499982 View attachment 499983 View attachment 499984 View attachment 499985

Even a retailer appropriate for the season.

I always love seeing this Game Bird, Jim. I keep looking for one…it may be a long wait. It’s also one of the hats that shows that the self felt hatband/ribbon can indeed work well.

I always love seeing this Game Bird, Jim. I keep looking for one…it may be a long wait. It’s also one of the hats that shows that the self felt hatband/ribbon can indeed work well.

I lucked out on this one. Happened to walk into a local vintage shop to find this and a Cross Country hanging on the wall for a steal. I bought them and high-tailed it out of there before they changed their mind.

Wow... great job capturing the luxe of that velour. A stunner that recalls my Oviatt Peschel. The inside is incredible.
Alan, Thank you! Your Oviatt - Anton Peschel is fantastic. The APN and JHS (later Tonak) factories were neighbors. :) Also really like your new Billy Childish & Flamingo Berets. I can see / feel their soft hand through the photo.

Last edited:
Inside and out a truly wonderful hat, Steve.

The historical aspect along with the quality and detail of the craftmanship make this early post Hückel Tonak truly desirable.

Love it!
Steve, Thank you! I only know of five Tonak "Formerly Hückel" and "Plant Hückel" Soft Felts. Hopefully more will appear. Your Borsalino from Sunday is stunning. The form, color and bow design are special!

dkstott

Practically Family
New hat day for me today: Lock & Co Voyager Rollable Trilby. Yes, they cost. But I love these when I travel. They are also extremely lightweight and comfortable, so much so that I can wear them well into Spring and even early summer, depending. This is the charcoal grey purchased in the St Pat's Delmonico Hatter Sale. I also have a jet black I bought in London last fall. I like them so much I may add a shade of brown. View attachment 499991
Sweet looking hat. I wasn't aware that DelMonico Hatter carried Lock. I hope to get to the store this week and take advantage of their sale.

Shadow1948

One of the Regulars
Nice! I wonder if the hat was made by Caxton or if it was just a proprietary sweatband style/technology that Caxton owned the rights to?

Could you add it to this thread when you have the time?

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/cushionaire-cushioned-for-comfort-comfort-fit-cushion-comfort-and-air-vac-sweatbands.98261/page
Nice! I wonder if the hat was made by Caxton or if it was just a proprietary sweatband style/technology that Caxton owned the rights to?

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/cushionaire-cushioned-for-comfort-comfort-fit-cushion-comfort-and-air-vac-sweatbands.98261/pag

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...n-comfort-and-air-vac-sweatbands.98261/page-2
I just immediately assumed that the sweatband style was owned by Caxton.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm