Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Wow! What a beauty!
Thanks a lot. My understanding is that these Shudde hats are essentially Stetson hat bodies carrying the Shudde name. They had one called Pure Beaver, and also had these Beaver Deluxe hats. Randall Renshaw, having handled this one, believes these Beaver Deluxe hats are also pure beaver, or at least this one is. I also have a Pure Beaver, and I can't tell any difference between it and this Beaver Deluxe and another Beaver Deluxe I have.

Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Like Stetson, modern Shudde's are not the same as the old Shudde's.

So awesome. You could call Shudde and ask. I phoned them about a year ago and they were still around. My partner's dad used to wear their hats so I called to see about getting one. They were helpful and friendly (but turned a bit too political for my taste pretty quickly, I was like, "Let's stick to something we can all agree on and that's hats!").

I'm wearing this today, a beautiful gift from a friend. Not sure I need to post in this thread anymore as I'll just be wearing this every day from now on.
Can’t say that I would blame you. Can’t go wrong with that one!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Sounds a bit like my weather here in central Texas, Steve. We were just a few degrees from a record high on Saturday. Today started clear and cool, eight hours later, we are under a severe thunderstorm warning!

Never fear, however, as my luxuriously smooth Penn Craft [Stetson] bowler will help me show off my latest $2 thrift store find, a vintage walking cane.

Charlie Gurinsky's Stockyards in San Antonio went by several names over its history (horse barn, horse & mule market, etc.). The earliest listing I found was from the mid-30s and the latest, an estate listing, was from '64 so I presume he passed a year or two earlier. These types of marketing tools were not uncommon the mid-1900s and, with the lengthy name stamped on this cane, I will assume it was from later in the period. My guess is late 50s to early 60s. Maybe not that old, but interesting nonetheless.

In 1974, Gurinsky's heirs started and have become very successful in the fine jewelry business. (I guess selling horses and cows was not too bad!) As homage to Charlie, their moto is "From Mules to Jewels".

View attachment 502317 View attachment 502318 View attachment 502319 View attachment 502320 View attachment 502321

That cane and Penn Craft Bowler go wonderfully together, Randy.

GuitarGuy99

One of the Regulars
Heading out wearing a Stetson Temple. After wearing hats like the Fed IV and the Strat Premier, I can't say I like the taper on the Temple's crown. Snapping the brim up seems to lessen the tapered look.

Attachments

• 20230328_081208.jpg
    20230328_081208.jpg
    899.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230328_081131.jpg
    20230328_081131.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39

StoryPNW

Practically Family
Heading out wearing a Stetson Temple. After wearing hats like the Fed IV and the Strat Premier, I can't say I like the taper on the Temple's crown. Snapping the brim up seems to lessen the tapered look.
Looks good on you, I never thought to try the Temple brim up.

I had a Temple for a short period of time but came to the same conclusion, that it had too much taper for my taste. Otherwise, I liked the proportions of the hat.

GuitarGuy99

One of the Regulars
Looks good on you, I never thought to try the Temple brim up.

I had a Temple for a short period of time but came to the same conclusion, that it had too much taper for my taste. Otherwise, I liked the proportions of the hat.
Thanks! The felt seems to be pretty good. The brim is fairly thick.

Here is the Grey Federation IV. It is quite the changeling.....has some blue tones here...some light looks very dark grey or even a medium grey. Very different from my first model grey Federation which is so dark most of the time it looks black.
Wearing to the shop today today i realized it needed a good brushing, then I re-flanged it as it was getting soft and "swoopy". Then I tightened up the C Crease to a full elongated Teardrop. Hard to photograph...I even elongated the center return crease to match.
1680027015619.png

1680027033004.png

We have been seeing a LOT of rain...even on our "sunny" days so I have been keeping my Akubra's handy.
They are great all weather hats!!!!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Here is the Grey Federation IV. It is quite the changeling.....has some blue tones here...some light looks very dark grey or even a medium grey. Very different from my first model grey Federation which is so dark most of the time it looks black.
Wearing to the shop today today i realized it needed a good brushing, then I re-flanged it as it was getting soft and "swoopy". Then I tightened up the C Crease to a full elongated Teardrop. Hard to photograph...I even elongated the center return crease to match.
View attachment 502518
View attachment 502519
We have been seeing a LOT of rain...even on our "sunny" days so I have been keeping my Akubra's handy.
Some really nice blue tones in your grey Fed IV, Mark. Great re-done bash, too.

GuitarGuy99

One of the Regulars
View attachment 502518
View attachment 502519
Great looking hat. Is that carbon gray?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Sounds a bit like my weather here in central Texas, Steve. We were just a few degrees from a record high on Saturday. Today started clear and cool, eight hours later, we are under a severe thunderstorm warning!

Never fear, however, as my luxuriously smooth Penn Craft [Stetson] bowler will help me show off my latest $2 thrift store find, a vintage walking cane.

Charlie Gurinsky's Stockyards in San Antonio went by several names over its history (horse barn, horse & mule market, etc.). The earliest listing I found was from the mid-30s and the latest, an estate listing, was from '64 so I presume he passed a year or two earlier. These types of marketing tools were not uncommon the mid-1900s and, with the lengthy name stamped on this cane, I will assume it was from later in the period. My guess is late 50s to early 60s. Maybe not that old, but interesting nonetheless.

In 1974, Gurinsky's heirs started and have become very successful in the fine jewelry business. (I guess selling horses and cows was not too bad!) As homage to Charlie, their moto is "From Mules to Jewels".

View attachment 502317 View attachment 502318 View attachment 502319 View attachment 502320 View attachment 502321
1680031103996.png

That vintage cane, vintage as in Michael Caine? Penn-Craft is not a name that I have come across before, checking it out I came across a bowler like your's on E-Bay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/404130893625 You take good care of that fine lid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ